FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Challenge for Hatrack Crafters

Author Topic: A Challenge for Hatrack Crafters
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I switched to daily disposable contacts a few years ago, I’ve been thinking that there should be something to do with the used ones. I considered putting a drop of liquid food color on them before letting them dry out and using them for fish scales on a collage, but how often do you have to make fish collages? (Well, since I’m sometimes in charge of crafty things for kids at church, maybe more often than you’d think.)

But there have to be some other possible uses. Plus, there’s the cases they come in. Little teardrop shaped reservoirs in hard plastic. With a hole at one end you could hang them by. They must be good for something, too.

So here’s your challenge – let’s see how many uses we can come up with for these suckers. It’s fun, it’s creative, and it’s environmentally friendly!

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... something that has been in contact with any moist part of someone's body kind of squicks me out. Given that I don't typically stock craft items that my children can't eat...

I mean, I'm not implying you are unclean or anything. Even if they were mine, I wouldn't feel too keen about it. Maybe I was just scarred by that time I showed my aunt a truly impressive flake of earwax I had retrieved from the auditory meatus and she recoiled in disgust.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, how about the cases, though? They have been in contact with nothing but my fingers. And those were washed well before handling.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

*pulls down attic ladder to find dusty thinking cap*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
lol dkw I've wondered the same thing. I think my cases at least the plastic parts are recylable, but the metal foil over the top isn't.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could use them as bubbles on a collage or painting?

Heeeyyy...I just finished Sophie's first bath scrapbook page, maybe I'll go back and add some!

The cases could be keychains or perhaps holders for those little air plants?

[ October 12, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You could use them as jellyfish in undersea scenes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We should join the cases together to make weird giant spaceship models. And we could use the old lenses as portholes or something.

And then we'll shoot video from behind of us watching movies and making silly comments.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
cases: bead caddies for active projects (have to be active because you don't have a way of closing them back up for storage)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
those would be awfully small caddies...

quote:
We should join the cases together to make weird giant spaceship models. And we could use the old lenses as portholes or something.

And then we'll shoot video from behind of us watching movies and making silly comments.

[ROFL] [Kiss] [ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
those would be awfully small caddies...
Well, I'm beading a small section at a time, usually only one or maybe two colors. So I'd put a small quantity of beads into a container and keep that close to my stitching. That way if I dump it over (or should I say WHEN?), I don't make such a big mess!

In reality, though, what I'm doing on one project that has lots of beads throughout is to string the beads onto a really odd color of floss and tie a slipknot into the end. Then when I need a bead, I can just undo the slipknot, catch a bead onto my needle, and redo the slipknot if I'm done with that color. And the floss is thick enough (I'm using 3 plies for this) that the beads don't just slide off on their own. For this project, it was worth taking the time to string the beads.... 7 different colors and lots of each!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
when I bead with seed beads I keep them in capped containers that hold about 10 grams of beads. That's about the perfect size, I think, but the floss sounds like a really good idea. And it might push me over the edge of breaking for a bead stringer. [Big Grin]

[ October 13, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Forgot to mention this earlier....
With the beads strung on floss like I do, it's really easy to keep the strings of beads attached to the margin of my fabric so I don't have to go digging for my big bead caddy when I'm working. =) I hate breaking the rhythm of an extended bead attachment session with having to dip into a hive cubbie to grab one single bead at a time.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, girls are weird.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ever since I switched to daily disposable contacts a few years ago, I’ve been thinking that there should be something to do with the used ones.
Or you could switch to these, and go through way fewer contacts and cases.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

- posted      Profile for Lyraluthuen   Email Lyraluthuen         Edit/Delete Post 
To add my two cents...
You could make a very interesting collage by dying them different colors and treating it as a mosaic. It would be an awful lot of work, but it could turn out really neat looking, I think. They have such a cool texture!

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat question. Being a contact user myself, I've wondered the same thing.

Try this: poke a hole in the center of the dried lens (or you could poke the hole and then let it dry) and string the lens as a bead on a necklace or bracelet. I bet they'd make really interesting beads, either in large groups together, or as bead-caps or separaters. You could also dye them as you suggested. Hmmmm. I may try this myself.

Oh, and regarding being squicked out, there are lots of beads and other ornamentation that are made from dried biological material. (Bone beads, scales, nails, etc.) Not that I expect this fact will change anyone's mind. I guess I have a higher squick factor. [Dont Know]

[ October 14, 2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Rivka – I can’t. I have a tendency toward eye infections, and get lots of “matter” in my eyes from allergies, which is why my eye doctor switched me to daily disposables.

Which have been great, btw. Haven’t had an eye infection in three years!

I like the dye ‘em different colors and make a mosaic and the necklace idea.

margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
How hard do the lenses become when they're dry, and how delicate?

I've been looking for appropriately-sized materials to use as the "scales" for costume armor. Specifically, the [i]gethre[/] mail from Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. Here's a picture of the Abhorsen (Third Book) Cover.

I imagine used contact lenses, if not folded or anything, wouldn't be too hard to sew in overlapping rows onto a shirt....and then spray-paint silver. Ooh, even better would be to paint them all black before sewing them onto the shirt, and then spray lightly with silver, so that when the wearer moves, it shows the darker parts more....

It's one of my current projects, actually. No way I can get it done by this Halloween, but one of these years I'll do it.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You could very easilly use the lense containers as a mold of some kind. Maybe put a small hole in one of them, fasten them together somehow and inject liquified plastic or something into them. Then let it dry and voila, instant plastic tear-drops. Of course you'd probably have to sand off all the excess whatever and polish em up some. But that would still be cool [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread gives a whole new meaning to the name Lenscrafters.

[Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about all of you, but my old lenses, when dry, were super fragile. I had fun shattering them.... [Dont Know]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the lenses become fairly brittle, but you could probably stitch them OK. The biggest obstacle to that would be that they tend to wrinkle around the edges. You'd have to put them on a mold (the lens case would probably make a good one).

All in all, though, it sounds like you'd need an awful lot of them to make a costume like you describe.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, brittle when dry doesn't sound too promising. Perhaps the cases would work after trimming them. My housemate's contact lens cases are less teardrop-shaped and more rounded, so it might work.

You know, in my dreams.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Mine don't get brittle. They're kind of stiff, but you can bend them.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Man, girls are weird.
What a wonderful compliment! Thank you! [Cool] [Taunt]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
This thread gives a whole new meaning to the name Lenscrafters.
SNORT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.