FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Avoiding Pre-Rapture Shutdown/Burnout

Author Topic: Avoiding Pre-Rapture Shutdown/Burnout
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Godric's landmark post got me thinking about planning for the future, even though I believe the end is near:

quote:
Godric: my parents went through a particularly strange fanatical religious phase. They believed the rapture was going to take place before I ever graduated from high school and never encouraged me to prepare for the future
I haven't put any money into a 401k, thinking that I wouldn't be around to collect. I haven't bought any extra life insurance; I haven't put any extra effort into fixing up my yard; and I haven't invested any pride of ownership in any of my belongings, believing that it's all going up in smoke soon.

At the same time I've gone overboard, attending preparedness seminars, squirreling away food and water, exploring ways to take myself off the power and fuel grid, and doing a whole bunch of other nutty stuff.

Now I'm about burned out on the whole idea. Let the end come. I don't care whether I survive or not.

Questions for those of you who believe in the rapture or the second coming or Armageddon or whatever:

1. How has your belief influenced your behavior?

2. How do you keep yourself motivated to improve yourself and the world around you?

3. How do you motivate your children?

4. How close do you think the end is?

And thanks again Godric for an excellent landmark.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as an agnostic, I haven't really noticed signs of impending doom.

I take basic emergency preparedness - well, I usually have a flashlight nearby and can put hands on it quickly.

I keep meaning to take the Red Cross first aid course, but I can never find the time and money in the same spot.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 

When I was a kid, I spared myself too much anxiety about scary, grown up things by the comforting thought that I probably wouldn't reach that age, at least under the current set of circumstances. Now, I can't take that kind of comfort anymore, no matter my belief.

2. How do you keep yourself motivated to improve yourself and the world around you?

I simply admit that I have no idea when the end might come, and that if I am not "with the program" when it does come, I'm in trouble. Being "with the program" for me includes such things as improving myself and the world around me.

Haven't had to face that yet, but I don't foresee a problem.

I wish I could believe it was soon, i.e. within the next twenty years. Realistically (a strange word, perhaps, to describe a religious belief such as this one), I think it's more likely to be on the order of several decades, at least. I am not unwilling to consider the possibility that I'm completely off, and that the correct time frame should be counted in centuries.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery, do you know my husband?!? [Evil Laugh]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Boon,

I might know him. There's a fellow down the street who buried a large pipe in his back yard and turned it into a shelter. The boys from our church congregation got to take a tour of it awhile back and said that his shelter is nicer than most homes.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have a shelter, so I guess we're not too extreme, but we do have a rather large stockpile of...stuff.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, my then-husband and I were "entertaining" a rather persistant insurance salesman who didn't want to take no for an answer. I actually used the idea, not of the "rapture" but the impending end of the world, as an excuse to get rid of him. I'm rather embarrassed about it now, but I was very young then. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 

I hope it hasn't. Honestly, I hate that the Left Behind series has led some people who didn't want to go through the bother of planning for their future to use the Rapture/Second Coming as an excuse. Scripture isn't at all clear about the concept of the rapture, so I'm not counting on the theory being fact, and it *is* clear that we won't know when it's going to happen. Not even the guy coming back knows. [Smile] People whose opinion I respect think it will be in our lifetime, but part of why I respect their opinion is that they still plan for a full life, complete with 401k and retirement planning, life insurance, etc. This doesn't mean that they don't *really* believe that it might happen -- it means that they are also following what it says in Ecclesiastes, that we are still to plan for the future. That's what you do when God has provided you with much. You share, and you store against the winter and drought.

How does anyone? I *like* becoming a better person. It makes me happier in the short term. The long term benefits are a little harder to get into and feel.

Spankings.

No, just kidding. I believe that we were given life to live it fully, and if I try to live that way, I would hope it would be infectious. As it stands, this hasn't been an issue. I don't think a toddler is physically capable of living less than 1000%.

I don't know and refuse to speculate. I think it will happen, but it's not within my control, it's nothing I could possibly begin to predict, so it's a silly waste of time to speculate.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wish I could believe it was soon...."

As someone expecting to be here for the rains of fire and oceans of blood and whatnot, let me admit to a complete lack of eagerness on my part.

[ October 12, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up thinking of the rapture as a bad thing, but I'm kind of a pessimist anyway. Lately I've come to view the 7 seals as applying to each individual's life as well as the course of the world. The allegory applies on many levels as well as some literal occurences.

Also, I kind of think 80% of what most people think is involved in the end of days is non-scriptural, while roughly 80% of what is scriptural is ignored.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Christians have been anticipating the imminent return of Jesus since the 1st century BC. During certain periods, Christians didn't plant crops because they were certain the worldn't last long enough for them to harvest. This process has been going on for 2000.

I think that the signs of the times are in many ways intentionally vague because Jesus wants people in all times to be spiritually prepared for his coming. At the same time the scriptures and history teach us that we must also be prepared for the possibility that his coming won't be for another 1000 years. Those to are not contradictory, they are the essence of wisdom.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, two of my friends spent half an hour seriously discussing the strategy involved in surviving a zombie attack. It involved discussing getting resources, weapons, and plan of attack. They told me afterwards this is a common conversation topic for them.

I was impressed. And frightened =)

[ October 12, 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
*Manages to make himself believe that people are actually, seriously discussing how Revelations impacts their pension plans*

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I hope this isn't a full out derailment, but my in laws had this little red book about how to survive various disasters. Shark attack, Earthquake, Tornado. The oddest one was UFO abduction. It advised the reader not to imagine anything they wouldn't want the aliens to do to them, such as... uh... probing (the book was more specific) as aliens are often reputed to be telepathic.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
<<They want me to stick this WHERE, Nebulon-Z?>>
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ed the worst-case senario book, I think...I use to work at B&N, and they sell it...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
On an almost unrelated note, I just finished Heinlein's Job: A comedy of justice . Which is a very humorous treatment of the end of the world, bet you didn't know a fictional account of the end of the world could be humorous, but I assure you it can.

Back to the original question. I believe that is entirely possible that end of the world could happen tomorrow, but I set the most likely date 4.5 billions years hence...that's the point at which the sun will have grown into a red giant, and engulfed the earth in it's corona. This belief that end of the world could be anytime from tomorrow til then hasn't really affected by my behavior, but in those times when I'm feeling depressed anyway, that's like the topping on the cake.

It does scare me sometimes to watch the news and see things which could be signs and portents, but either the end of the world will be sudden, in which case, I won't care anyway and should just keep doing what I plan to, or it won't be, and I'll have time to make a plan then. I don't have any children to motivate, so haven't really considered it.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that my entire plan for dealing with the rapture, should it come while I'm in Indiana and Annie is in Montana is to hope that I can strap enough stuff to my bike to make it to Montana while feeding off the land. I'm looking at various routes but it's hard to predict what will be blocked or destroyed and what wont. And if it happens after I'm out of Indiana or Annie is out of Ontana I figure I'll worry about it then. My only worry about the end of the world is that I wont be with my beloved to see the begining of the new world.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"bet you didn't know a fictional account of the end of the world could be humorous, but I assure you it can."

Read Good Omens. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
(This could be pure Lutheran myth, but I think it’s still relevant.)

Someone once asked Martin Luther what he would do if God told him without a doubt that the world would end tomorrow. He answered, “I would plant a tree.”

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
My luck would be that the guy in the SUV in front of me would be taken up, and I'd slam into the back of his car with my Toyota Echo.

But then, of course, I'd just take his car...

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

A list of pre-rapture preparation extremeness that I have dabbled in:

• Gardening
  • Food preservation (vacuum sealing and canning)
  • Firearms
  • Ammunition re-loading
  • Home security
  • Food and water storage
  • Self-contained camping vehicles
  • 72-hour kits
  • Solar energy
  • Electric generators
  • Inverters
  • Alternative transportation (bicycles, scooters)
  • Fuel cells
  • Hybrid vehicles
  • All kinds of batteries
  • Conspiracy theory
  • Disaster recovery (digging, hoisting, pumping, and cutting equipment)
  • Propane storage and use
  • First aid
  • Emergency communication (ham and CB)
  • Map reading and navigation
  • Precious metals and other bartering media
  • Hunting and fishing
Stuff I still need to get into:
  • Wind energy
  • Care and breeding of farm animals, especially horses and cattle
  • Emergency shelters
  • Alternative medicine
Did I miss anything?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Life on this earth is a gift that we are granted for a short time and I think we are supposed to live it to its fullest.

Jesus I believe made it quite clear that worrying about things out of your control (and if anything qualifies as out of your control, the rapture does) is fruitless.

So I do plan for my kids future college education and a retirement, and continue to live my life as if I expect to be here an additional 50 years or so.

As for when I think it will be - I honestly do not know. I don't necessarily subscribe to beliefs that many things in the world are signs that point that the end is near but neither do I completely discount them. This is one area where I'm happy to let God be in control and not worry about it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, I went through a phase where I believed that the sun was on the verge of exploding and that each day, it might happen. I drove my parens crazy for about three months. If I didn't die in the very beginning, I think it would be sort of fun.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Skillery, while any of those is an okay hobby in its own right, I'm a little concerned that you would be interested in any of those things solely because you believed the end was near. Especially as it didn't include
A. Bible Study and
B. Koran Study, just in case.

[Wink]
Seriously, I rather suspect you are naturally drawn to these things and use the Rapture as a way of rationalizing your hobbies.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
TimeTim, tell me the fun part about the sun exploding. I have to say that I'm drawing a blank on that one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka along with the scripture study, you need to include scripture memorization of whatever scripture you believe in, as much of it as you can. Because then when the end of the world is coming and your chosen belief system is under attack and all of your scriptures are confiscated and burned you have it written in your heart.

(Yes I have heard a children's Bible lesson conducted on this point before.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Pooka:

quote:
use the Rapture as a way of rationalizing your hobbies
You're probably right. For instance, I'm also interested in fast cars and boats, but I haven't been able to rationalize their purchase because they're not going to help me in the long run (no petrol).

I wish I could convince myself that the Waterworld scenario is a possibility. I would love to own that catamaran.

I wouldn't apply the word "dabbled" to my Bible study.

Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wanna sound like a jackass (which means i'm going to sound like a jackass), but it kind of disturbs me that so many of you are seriously planning for the rapture. Aside from the fact that no god I know of said "sit around and prepare for doom" I was just trying to convince my mom the other day that many religious folks are quite reasonable. I'm liberal but my mom is even more so, I was trying to convince her that the neocons in washington right now aren't a bunch of loonies trying to bring on the end of the world. Now i'm not so sure...
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Stark:"I don't wanna sound like a jackass (which means i'm going to sound like a jackass)"

I'm glad some people recognize this basic principle.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Stark,

You're not.

They are.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty surprised to see that too Stark. Not exactly discomfited by it, but not exactly not either. I'm still kind of mulling the fact over.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

"It's the Rapture! Hide the boy!"
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's coming as well, but I'm also investing in 401(k)s and Roth IRAs, keeping a good life insurance policy on myself, and trying to budget for future purchases. Letting our backyard go brown this summer had nothing to do with our fear of approaching calamities, honest. I plan to live a long life if at all possible and try to be flexible if changes come. I think it's the only practical thing to do.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
but it kind of disturbs me that so many of you are seriously planning for the rapture
I think we've established that none of us are "seriously" planning for the rapture. Read the thread, you non-jackass.
P.S. I guess the "non-jackass" remark should be pointed at ssywak and not Stark. Sorry Stark.

[ October 13, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

skillery
Member # 6209

I scared myself when I started talking about moving in with Bo Gritz . He was starting some private militia-community in Idaho. I pulled back from the brink when I considered what it would be like to attend church in that community. Who would be sitting on the rostrum on Sunday morning? Bo Gritz. And who put Bo Gritz on the rostrum? Bo Gritz. And to whom would I pay my offerings? Bo Gritz.

I did learn some cool conspiracy theory during that phase though. I've had to throw a lot of that crap away, but every once in awhile some of it gets verified. And that's scary.

pooka
Member # 5003

Wow, (((skillery))) glad you decided to remain on Earth with us.
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually pretty confused about the issue of the rapture when I was in middle and high school. But then I heard the Newsboys' song Lights Out:

"last one turns the lights out, and makes sure every curtain's drawn
nails the shutters shut, he's sure
we are not of this world for long
who do you think you are?
did you figure out the date?
what do you hope to do
while you sit around and wait, wait, wait?
last one turns the lights out, and disconnects the answer-phone
stuffs all sense of mission, says
"I just can't turn the tide alone"
who do you think you are?
did you figure out the time?
what do you hope to do
while you hide out and whine, whine, whine..."

Steve Taylor (one of the few Christian music artists I have any respect for) wrote the song. I don't know, but I learned all the theology I need to know through art... [Razz]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Stark, another thing to consider is that while preparing for the rapture, or even the imminent end of the world may seem a little strange, these same preparations can be beneficial if an all-too possible natural disaster strikes, say if Mt. Ranier erupted, the San Andres fault finally became a schism, tornado, or even four hurricanes in as many weeks. In those instances, extra food and water, knowledge of how to survive without shelter, even an ability and knowledge of how to create and use munitions and track game can come in handy. So, while preparing for the rapture is one possibility, I also see it as a possibility to prepare for more mundane things.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.