FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Coming out of the shadows – another newbie thread.

Author Topic: Coming out of the shadows – another newbie thread.
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

- posted      Profile for Lyraluthuen   Email Lyraluthuen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all!

I’ve been lurking here on Hatrack for so long that I feel downright stalkerish. It was around January or so that I was convinced by a fellow Pwebber to come over to the dark side, and I’ve been reading faithfully ever since. A few months later I registered, but it’s taken me until now to get up the courage to join in. I know a few of you from over Pweb way, and I hope I’ll get to know the rest of you soon. I feel as though I know some of you so well from reading your posts that it seems funny introducing myself. But for those of you who may be interested, I'll share a little about myself.

I’m a 17 year old art student from Virginia. (Are there any other members from the East Coast area, by the way? I don’t remember hearing of any.) I graduated high school in May of 2003, and for the past year I’ve had an apartment about two hours from my home and taken art classes there locally. I’m taking the year semi-off, living at home, working full time, taking a few classes, and taking the next semester to travel. The goal is to transfer into art school next year as a sophomore, if all goes well.

A few of my passions are for chocolate, poetry, old movies (guilty pleasure: musicals), art history, coffee, fuzzy slippers, museums, rainy afternoons, traveling, fantasy literature, used bookstores, picnics, eclectic music, the smell of art supply stores, and rubber duckies.

I hope you’ll learn more about me as I learn more about you!

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!! Welcome to Hatrack you newbie you...

(noogies)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
woo hoo.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Smile] Interesting SN. Mind if I call you Lyra for short?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

- posted      Profile for Lyraluthuen   Email Lyraluthuen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all. [Smile]
It's from an obscure fantasy trilogy called The Riddlemaster Trilogy, by Patricia McKillup.
Thanks for the welcome!

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Salve.

[Wink]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't that obscure...

A Harpest in the Wind was my favorite book for many years, and i still have a very worn copy of it to this day...

So....kill any shapeshifters lately...or did they let you kill them? [Big Grin]

Welcome!

Kwea

[ October 14, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Used to be East Coast (Norfolk area), but have since moved to the West Coast. Going back East next June. Although that's going to be New York (I hope). After three years up there I will be headed back to Norfolk.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

EL: Hey girl! Fancy meeting you over here.

Kwea: Really? I've barely met anyone who even knows what I'm talking about. Always glad to meet another McKillup fan. And no, sadly they all appear to be avoiding me or something. Fancy that. [Wink]

Stan: Really? Norfolk's a great area. I live a few hours from there.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Must be that spear you carry about.

[Evil]

[ October 14, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! Welcome to hatrack.

There are several East Coast clumps. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go find the thread that lists where everybody's from and bump it for you.

Edit: Here it is... but several people are missing from Eastern states, I think...

[ October 14, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Careful, you're the first to be tested on, once Scott R gets his Thingamajiggy of Extreme Glaven up and running.

[Wink]

Welcome!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Lyraluthuen. Welcome to Hatrack! [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not at all.
It's from an obscure fantasy trilogy called The Riddlemaster Trilogy, by Patricia McKillup.

The Riddlemaster totally rocks. [Big Grin]

What's your pweb name?

Oh, and welcome to the 'rack. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. [Smile]

Always good to have another East Coaster around. Not that I have anything against the rest of you, of course. Looks like we're not very well represented on the clumps thread, but we exist. Suneun/dabbler is from Newport News, by the way, though she lives here in Providence now.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A few of my passions are for chocolate, poetry, old movies (guilty pleasure: musicals), art history, coffee, fuzzy slippers, museums, rainy afternoons, traveling, fantasy literature, used bookstores, picnics, eclectic music, the smell of art supply stores, and rubber duckies.
Sounds like you and Annie will get along swimmingly. [Smile] Welcome to Hatrack!

. . . and to think, this morning I was talking to someone about how I love the scent of libraries. . . .

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is: It's about time! [Taunt]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, a newbie! Hi, newbie! Hi, hi, hi, hi!

I will give you a cookie.

*gives cookie*

I am a cookie-giver!

C is for cookie, that's good enough for me!
Ohhhh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C!

Ahem. Welcome to Hatrack.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

Ela: Hi! I'm Virmoli over there. I'm not sure if you'd remember, but we've talked once or twice.

Mike: Really? I was just in Providence last weekend. My brother goes to school there. Beautiful city... it almost makes me want to go to RISD.

Brinstone: Maybe I'm just strange, but I've actually thought through what my top ten favorite smells are, and libraries are most definitely on there. There's something about old books and hardwood floors, I think.

Alea: [Razz]

Fyfe: All your cookies is belong to me!

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... 17 you say.... now, would you classify yourself as atractive or not...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

Heh. I tend to be just a tad self-critical, so I don't think you really want me to answer that. If you're really curious, here. [Smile]
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
<Virginian

Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too shabby... and trust me, I know about being self-critical. 6 years wrestling.... making weight blows.

oh, and welcome to the party....

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Easy boy...at least let her settle in a bit first, before the drooling begins... [Big Grin]

My wife and I are from the Springfield, MA area, and JaneX is currently attending Smith in Northampton.....Mike, Suneun, and Myr are from RI...Bok, Martha, Kale, Paul Goldner and a few others ( [Big Grin] ) are from Boston.....Mackillian is from NH.

So the east Coast if VERY well represented here...that list is not even close to a complete one...

Sarahidipty, Liz, and a whole slew of others are from this area too... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ October 14, 2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

Oh good, that makes me feel much better. Too many West-Coasters and I get nervous. [Smile]
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
Mike: Really? I was just in Providence last weekend. My brother goes to school there. Beautiful city... it almost makes me want to go to RISD.
Almost? RISD is cool. Though it's a ton of work, I've heard. I graduated from Brown a couple years ago. And I grew up here, too -- it didn't used to be such a beautiful city, so it's come a long way I guess. Where does your brother go to school?

Eh, the west coasters are fine. It's the midwesterners that make me nervous. [Angst] [Razz]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Heh.

That explains your confusion around me, Mike...I live here now, but grew up in MI!

They really have done a wonderful job cleaning Providence up, haven't they?

My parents love Riverfire/Waterfire (or whatever it was called...lol)

[ October 14, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

He goes to Brown as well! I love RISD, it's just more of a design school than I'm looking for. We'll see though. Considering that I happen to be the most indecisive person on the planet, my top choice shifts on a weekly basis.

And considering that I was born in the Mid-West, they're not quite as scary... I still get a little jittery though.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lyraluthuen! Welcome to Hatrack. You'll never leave. You know that, right? It's impossible really. Others have tried and failed. You just get sucked right back in. So, resign yourself to a lifetime of craziness and fun. And watch out for burn... I mean trails of flowers strewn at your feet. (Somehow that's just not as scary as being burned to a crisp.)

[Confused]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

ALthough either is possible here...lol...

The only way to leave is to get kicked out....and that isn't that easy, either...lol....

I am sure you will like it here.

See you around.

Kwea

Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

Somehow, I think I will too. I'm sensing complete addiction vibes. After all... it took me long enough to start posting that I might as well stick around. [Smile]
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
ANOTHER newbie thread? A true sign that it is surely fall time.

Welcome welcome, have some cake now.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Eh, design, art, what's the difference? [Big Grin]

*draws some pretty designs*

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who likes The Riddlemaster series is OK by me. It's one of my favorites, though I haven't liked other McKillup I've tried.
Welcome to the forum! [Wave]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
hey Jani, nice to see you here [Smile]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Too many West-Coasters and I get nervous
UH....

quote:
It's the midwesterners that make me nervous
Dang! I fit both of these right now. And others. Southwest (NM), Northeast (NY), West Coast (CA), East Coast (VA), and Southeast (SC).

I might be around VA sometime in the next few years. I have lots of friends that are stationed over there.

edited to add I forgot the first state of residence *slaps forehead*: Midwest MI. Some call it midwest others don't.

[ October 17, 2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.