FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For All Those Red Sox Fans (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: For All Those Red Sox Fans
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Best. Umps. Ever.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm posting this on my phone . . . we had a lightning strike knock out our cable--and most of the power in town--so I went to see the game @ my father's place. So my apologies if someone already talked about this--I can't keep up to closely on this.)

Not that it matters, but why was Jeter placed on first? Without the interference, Jeter would still have made it to second. Was it punitive?

[Confused]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I missed it. What was the obstruction?

[ October 19, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened? I was out of it for a while...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A-Rod truly is the world's greatest jackass.

Why? He's trying to get on base. It's the umps' job to catch stuff like that. A-Rod isn't the one throwing stuff.

Was that guy from Boston in '99 a jackass because he tried to run out of the base path? Should a defensive back not hold a receiver if the alternative is to let him score a touchdown? A-Rod is just playing the game.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

And helping lose it too...

Go Red Sox!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
yaaaaaaay!
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Sox! Yeah, baby!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

hahahahhahaha!!

Damn good pitch too, that struck Clark out!

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I still insist that this is just going to make it harder to take when the Sox finally do bite the bullet, either in game 7 or in the World Series.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
... now, as folks will recall, I wished for an exciting 7-game series.

My wish has come true.

Clearly, I have control over reality.

All who know me shall love me and despair!

So, Red Sox fans...

What would you give me to wish for a Red Sox victory?

[Evil]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A swift kick to the ass. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

awww. Dee wittle pitcher can't hold the ball.

Without a doubt that is absolutely the most ridiculous foul I've ever heard of. I can't even count the number of times that a runner has been called safe simply from sliding into the baseman/catcher hard enough to make him drop the ball.

[ October 20, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

NFL...I don't care, it is some amazing baseball, and I love that.

Both teams are great, and I love that they play their best against each other.

I don't like the Yankees, but I respect them....they are great every year.

The Sox have been playing better and better each year, adn this year I don't hear any whining about the curse....which is a good thing.

The Curse is simply a reason not to win....nothing more, notheing less.

So bring it on, and lets see another amazing game tomorrow!

Kwea

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, do you not understand the rule or are you just being a Yankee fan?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

There's a huge difference between running into a fielder and jarring a ball loose or stripping a ball out of a glove.

Anyway.

My favorite quotation: "I was so scared that I had to drink more beer!" --Red Sox fan to a reporter

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to publically announce that it is because of me that the Sox are winning, and will win it. You're welcome.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Oh, and I guess the players had something to do with it, too. But really, its all me.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Bad mac [No No]

OK, that's it, NO Red Sox victory in game 7.

(mutters to self) Wakefield gets shelled... Jeter homers... Ortiz gets turned into a newt...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Does that mean your team is using black magic, Plaid?

[ October 20, 2004, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Anti-Chris ]

plaid
Member # 2393

That, and proper grammar [Smile]
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Hey, I fixed it before you called it!
plaid
Member # 2393

FOUL! A-C edited his response!

(Umps confer. A-C is ejected from thread.)

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

::swats plaid's arm and whines about being ejected... just like a yankee::
plaid
Member # 2393

*Security police detain A-C and "accidentally" consign him to Guantanamo Bay*
aspectre
Member # 2222

Nah, it's always been Cubs and Red Sox after whichever particular two teams I picked for a particular season. And I've never picked the Yankees. What's the point of rooting for a team so rich its gonna make the playoffs anyway by buying out its competition, ie the players who made up the competition?

Just believe that if a ball can be stripped that easily (even if one assumed intent), then it wasn't under the control of the player holding it, couldn't have been used to successfully make a tag out.

[ October 20, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

mackillian
Member # 586

You DO realize how floppy a baseball glove is, right? Holding on is one thing. But a slap directly to the glove is going to strip the ball from it unless you have it gripped completely by the fingers--and that'd require barehanding it.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule 7.09
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/runner_7.jsp

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's the point of rooting for a team so rich its gonna make the playoffs anyway by buying out its competition, ie the players who made up the competition?
That's why it's so delicious when the Yankees lose...especially when they lost to the Marlins, whose payroll was a fraction of the Yanks' payroll. [Taunt]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Yep [Big Grin]
But a loss by a crummy call just ain't satisfying.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
They only showed that replay about 100 times from every possible angle. You'd have to be blind to say that A-Rod didn't deliberately swipe Arroyo's arm and knock the ball out.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
An AP sports writer agrees:

quote:
The umpires decided to change the call, ruling that Rodriguez was out on interference and Jeter had to go back to first base. Replays clearly showed that Rodriguez intentionally stuck out his hand. Rodriguez, who reached second base on the play which was originally ruled an error on Arroyo, stood at second with both hands up in apparent disbelief.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Or a yankees fan.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been watching the games in the office for the past two nights. We had a lot of poking of fun on A-rod's little "watch me run" act. Of course, none of us are Red Sox fans, but we do have one thing going for us. We hate the Yankees, and root for any team that plays against them.

Ok, so we have to kick the one yankee fan out when we watch the games, but he's from Cali.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Ick, he was a jackass for arguing the call, and feigning disbelief when it happened.

<sorry for late response>

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus understands.

Tomorrow, we are all Red Sox fans.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Damn rights.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we all PLEASE petition Mitt Romney and George Patakai to have a day off in New York and Massachusetts tomorrow? I am exhausted! How can I teach, and how can the little children learn until this is over?

The Sox have had some bad calls in their day, This was a good call, and I thought the Yankees, other than A-Rod, handled it well. I also wish I could say that the Sox fans in Fenway would have had more class, but I know there would have been things thrown there as well.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

If that wasn't the rule, then players could stop their opponants from throwing the ball by basically mugging them on the field.

By using a bear hug. [Big Grin]

There is a difference, clearly stated in the rules, between hitting a baseman who is in the base path between bases and hitting the glove or hand of someone who isn't impeding your forwad progress....who isn't even on the base path at all.

I loved how the Umps got both calls so right this time. I am use to seeing terrible calls made in the playoffs, but this is a welcome sight this year.

Now....lets hope that tonights game is every bit as exciting.

Kwea

El Babalao
Member # 5817

- posted      Profile for El Babalao   Email El Babalao         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does that mean your team is using black magic, Plaid?
Well duh. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ick, he was a jackass for arguing the call, and feigning disbelief when it happened.

That's the way the game is played. Even when a manager knows a call is right, he has to argue it. This is the same thing. When you argue one call a little bit, you are more likely to get the next close call. A-Rod argued much less vociferously then Ortiz did after each of two different outs in Game 5. He put his hands up and said "What?!" a few times . . . he didn't get all nuts or out of control. He certainly didn't pull anything like a John McEnroe. This makes him a jackass? I think he handled it just fine.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

BIG difference though, Icky....Ortiz thought he was right, while A-Rod KNEW he had deliberatly hit the glove to knock the ball out.

You DID see the footage, right?
There is no question that it was deliberate.

Haveing an honest disagreemnet is one thing, but A-Rod...well, pouting doesn't work most of the time.

mackillian
Member # 586

Come on, everyone wanted Big Papi safe on that steal. HE STOLE A BASE! Well, attempted. But he was safe. BIG PAPI STOLE A BASE!
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Three down, one to go.

Despite other posters here, the mojo changed when I stopped watching.

Sox in 7.

I believe! I just cannot watch!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say that last night, for the first time, I was really really pushing for a Sox win.

Not that I'm a Boston fan.

See, my boss paid large bucks to get playoff tickets. He leaves work to watch every game.

That is here in St. Louis.

If Boston would have lost, then the next Astros/Cardinals game would have been tonight. Since the Sox won, the Cardinal/Astro game is this afternoon.

My boss is leaving in half an hour.

Go Boston!!!.

(On the flip side, if Boston wins tonight, and the Cardinals win the next two--then defeat Boston in the series, Mack will never talk to me again. I don't know who to root for.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I only get this spitfire about beating the Yankees.

I hate the Yankees.

If we get to the Series and play the Cards, I'll just want to beat the Cards.

Not kill them.

[Wink]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
What an awesome, awesome game. And the umps getting all those calls right, when in the past it would've been 'my way or the highway' is a big improvement. I doubted Shilling had that in him. Wow.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It kind of bugged me that in a postgame interview Schilling kept saying that God did it for him. I don't mind when people thank God in acceptance speeches or whatever, but saying that God's hand was upon him is a little much for me.

It also bugged me when they showed a fan waving a sign saying "God is a Yankee fan."

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.