FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Made-up Kid's Games

Author Topic: Made-up Kid's Games
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of absentee parents in my neighborhood, and I often have a chance to entertain the neighbor kids with made-up games.

Here's one we cooked up earlier this week:

Items needed: a bicycle for each kid and an empty tin can

Set the can in the middle of the road; line it up with a crack in the pavement or some other permanent mark.

The objective is to kick the can down the road as far as possible, while riding one's bicycle, without setting one's foot down and without running over the can. This presents quite a challenge to new riders.

The rider may kick the can repeatedly, but if the can rolls into the gutter, the turn is over and we mark the final resting spot of the can with a rock. If the rider sets her foot down or runs over the can with her bicycle, the turn is also ended, we mark the final resting spot, and move the can back to the starting spot for the next rider.

Watch out for cars! (We live in a cul de sac.)

I can't believe that the kids swarmed on me yesterday after work again, wanting to play that silly game. C'mon kids, couldn't you find your own old can? Too much Nintendo I guess.

What kid's games have you cooked up?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
During the summer, I play a similar role with the kids in my neighborhood. I take my son out to play "baseball" in the street, and all the kids come out of the woodwork asking to join us. My "baseball" rules are as follows:

1. Each kid gets a turn at bat, first come first served. If you show up late, you will wait patiently for your turn at the end of the line, no matter how many kids are ahead of you, and no matter whether they have already had a turn tonight.
2. Each turn consists of three fair hits or one strikeout, whichever comes first.
3. I am the pitcher. Period.
4. The ball (a lightweight plastic one with holes) may not hit any parked cars or anyone's home.
5. If the ball goes all the way down the street (we're on a hill), you have to run after it yourself -- I ain't doin' it.
6. Kids who are not up to bat may be catcher (up to 3 catchers max) or outfielder (unlimited) if they wish, but it is not required.
7. Kids may run the bases when they get a hit if they wish, but it is not required.
8. There are no infielders.
9. When a car appears, I will shout "Everyone out of the road!" You WILL get out of the road immediately. ALL THE WAY out of the road. If you do not, you will not be allowed to play.
10. When it starts getting dark, or when I feel like it, I will announce the game is over. Everyone will help put the bats, balls, away, and will not complain.

[ October 15, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.