FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that were better than the book (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies that were better than the book
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings (all three)

Silence of the Lambs

Beaches

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The Longest Day
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead Poets Society
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Jurassic Park: Lost World

That's about all I can think of. Silence of the Lambs is a maybe.

Oh, and The Passion.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Techincally for The Passion there were 4 books, and I disagree for everyone. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings is not even close to being better than the book!
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
LotR???? ARE YOU ON DRUGS? And if so, what drugs are so powerful as to create such gross intereference with judgement???
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Forrest Gump
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
The Abyss (Portuguese version)

JUST KIDDING!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha:
quote:
ARE YOU ON DRUGS? And if so, what drugs are so powerful as to create such gross intereference with judgement???
The mind-altering substance known as "fantasy books which don't suck (and aren't 50% stupid songs)".
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Apollo 13.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Apollo 13 was a pretty good book, it just was a little too wordy.

Hobbes [Smile]

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess Bride

I don't agree about LOTR, although I do not care as much as my sister seems to. [Razz]

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes: I was never able to finish it. It read like a technical manual. *shrug* To each his own, I guess.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Fyfe, Princess Bride was a lot better than the original book, which had whole chapters on DINNER PARTIES.

The Abridged version is pretty good, though.

[ October 16, 2004, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Horse Whisperer.

If you're tempted to read the book to see if I'm right, trust me, I am. Don't waste your time - those are hours of your life you will never get back.

My friend was the stunt double for that movie, and I stayed in the hotel the characters stay in in Choteau. Yes, I am aware that it's a pretty dumb movie.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
which had whole chapters on DINNER PARTIES.
Sounds like my kind of book.

I watched a whole movie about one dinner party the other day and absolutely loved it. Babette's Feast - it's in Danish and French and has a turtle that makes this really freaky noise. Fabulous.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's G....Oh, they haven't made that one yet [Eek!] (AAAAH! QUIT HITTING ME! QUIT QUIT! OW! I WAS KIDDING!)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no original Princess Bride book. Goldman made it up.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolat.

And there is a Princess Bride book.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so disappointed that there was no original, I really wanted to read about the fashions and dinner parties that he 'skipped over.'
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree, Fyfe, Princess Bride was a lot better than the original book, which had whole chapters on DINNER PARTIES.
Just to clarify: yes, there is a Princess Bride book, and it makes reference to the original book. That original book does not exist.

The book is pretty darn funny, and I can't decide which I like better -- it or the movie.

edit: Oh, and when the revolution comes, those that think the LotR movies are better than the books will be the first to go.

[ October 16, 2004, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Thinking LotR's great and Tolkien's a god isn't a revolution; it's pure Establishment. [Wink]
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's close, but I think I like the Princess Bride movie better than the book.

Anything by Tom Clancy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter... all of them.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon. Thomas Harris is a terrible writer. The Bourne Identity, too, I like how they dispensed with the whole "everything but the starting concept" thing. Robert Ludlum, too, is a terrible writer. The first one was okay, but the second two of the Bourne Identity books were quite bad and I was stuck on a thirteen hour plane ride with nothing to read but them.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I am really suprised by some of the responses here. Go figure. [Dont Know]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Moby Dick
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's game.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
You are joking about Harry Potter aren't you?

To the two people who said One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest you belong in the movie.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
While it's not a book but a short story, I think The Shawshank Redemption is actually better than the story.

It's just a great movie.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey kama, I tried that too. Didn't work [Smile]

Uhhh...Man. I haven't read any books that weren't better than the movie. (Though I thought Timeline was a good action movie and the book was uberhard- science fiction.)

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard:

quote:
Moby Dick
Them's fightin' words. The movie sucked (all 4 of them). Gregory Peck said he was miscast as Ahab. The book was perhaps the greatest book of all time. Certainly the best book I've ever read.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Princess Bride book, read it years before the movie. Goldman did amazing things with author persona there. He basically writes the whole prologue as a way to get you to dislike him (writes about cheating on his wife, hating his kids, etc.), then proceeds to charm you with his story and his process. Very risky and challenging. Good stuff, IMO.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever just said Harry Potter has just been added to my list of potential criminals.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey kama, I tried that too. Didn't work
[Embarrassed]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
No WAY are the Harry Potter movies better. I had to bite my toungue in the theatre, they left so much out.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Election

In the Princess Bride debate, I vote for the book, because while William Goldman's dialogue is good and often memorable, his prose is simply delightful.

Hm. I said 'delightful.'

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever said LOTR or Harry Potter has been added to my axis of evil. [Mad] [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, are you crazy? My friends and I would actually sit around and read portions of the Lost World outloud, and laugh ourselves silly. That's when Michael Crichton completely went insane.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Election
And that's not even Tom Perrotta's best book. I think that honor goes to The Wishbones.

Encino Man was better than the Encino Man novelization, by far.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
With The Princess Bride, I think the movie and book both stand on their own and are equally good for their medium.

I thought The Pelican Brief was a much better movie than book. In a totally un-Hollywood move, they took the love scenes out for the movie.

Whoever said the Harry Potter movies are better.... <insert vomit smilie>

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Battlefield Earth-- I know, I know the movie was horrible-- but the book was worse-- I read one review that called it a sludge pile of a novel which I thought pretty much summed it up.

Harry Potter?????????? [Eek!]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
BE won a Razzie a couple years back for being the absolutely worst movie of the year.

Personally, I thought that if the book had stopped where the movie did, the book would have been decent. But then the movie would probably have been worse because it would have had less material to work from.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*scandalized*
No way! The HP books are 50 times better than the movies!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

One Flew Over was a very well shot movie, and very different than the book. I happened to prefer it's approach, I didn't much care for the kind of mystic milieu in which the book was set. Not that I didn’t like the book, I did, I just liked the movie better. And the end part, going through the window with the music, well I can (and have!) watch that part endlessly without tiring. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

ae
Member # 3291

I second whoever said Harry Potter.

Essentially, where the book is plod-ding-ly written but the story is tolerably entertaining, I usually find I prefer the movie.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Wall Bash]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.