FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Want some Doctor Who?

Author Topic: Want some Doctor Who?
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, got rid of the VCR but still have lots of videos. If you'd like my collection of Doctor Who episodes, and you're the kind of person I'd trust with my home mailing address, drop me an email.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
You have the ones with the alien who had like, 6 of himself throughout history? I saw the first few episodes, but didn't finish it. And if you know what I'm talking about, good job, cause it's incredibly vague.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I would be a much cheaper and easier recpiepent of this Doctor Who but I have shamefully never seen an epsiode, and couldn't take away such a gift from someone more deserving, and more faithful to the series.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Faithful!? Pssh, I saw 2 or 3 friggin episodes of it in that series, and possibly 5 of the others.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch that show all the time with my brother. I miss it...If they still work, I'd sure as anything take em. That is, if you trust me with them. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wait, there's a catch here huh. You don't know me well enough to trust me with your home address. S'allright. I wouldn't trust me either. On a side note, Ebay works sometimes.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-Chris (I forget, what's you regular signon when you aren't in landmark avoidance?), I love that episode! One of my favorites. Of course, now I'm drawing a blank as to its name. City of Death maybe? I can remember everything else about it. Written by Douglas Adams, shot in location in Paris, Lala Ward (playing Romana's second incarnation) as The Doctor's companion, guest appearance by John Cleese...I really should be able to give you the name with complete certainty. I'm not going to do better than City of Death though, not tonight anyway. And who knows, that could be right.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll trust you with my home address if I can have em. [Big Grin]

I used to have just about every Doctor Who episode that aired on PBS taped (started when I was age 10). I had over half of Pertwee, all of both Bakers, all of Davison, half of McCoy, the K-9 spinoff pilot, and the Peter Cushing movie. Unfortunately, my dad stored them all in the attic one summer whilst I was staying with my mom. In Texas that is a very bad thing... they all melted. [Cry]

And yes Noemon, it was the City of Death, although my guide says that episode was written by David Agnew, the only episode Douglas Adams wrote that season was the ill-fated Shada. [Smile]

Edit: Wow, I am a geek

[ October 18, 2004, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"David Agnew" was a pseudonym for Douglas Adams and another writer who collaborated with him

Once a Dr Who geek, always a Dr Who geek... [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

Was it really? Wow. [Eek!]
I learn something new every day.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
You do know that a new series is being filmed with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper (Mrs Chris Evans) as his companion right? Due out next year - reclaimed by us Brits after the somewhat contradictory installment with Paul McGann.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Misha, thanks for confirming that title. I was a huge Tom Baker Fan, a middling Pertwee fan, and not much of a fan of Davidson at all. I've seen a bit of Traughten, and...well, that's about it really, so I'd say you're much more well versed in Dr. Who than I am.

A K-9 spinoff? Tell me about that--I'd never heard of it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Nathan, I think one of my lab mates already took City of Death, but I'll send it to you if he didn't.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, that answers that (my trying to remember who Anti-Chris was, that is; my question about whether something as awful sounding as a K-9 spin off series could actually be good remains unanswered).
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a single episode of Dr. Who, but I would like to.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really Porter? Oh, man, you're missing out! Start with the Tom Baker episodes though. None of the other actors who have played the Doctor have measured up, in my opinion. Of course, good luck finding them, unless you can convince Celia to mail them to you instead of the other people who have been asking about them.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If Celia mails them to me, I'll gladly pass them along to somebody else when I'm done. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

I don't think the K-9 series got past the first episode.
The premise is the Doctor makes a third K-9 and sends it to Sarah Jane as a gift. Then her nephew gets kidnapped and she and K-9 have to rescue him from a cult of Hecate worhippers who want to sacrifice him for the winter solstice. I assume that had the series gone on, she and K-9 would have been a sort of crime fighting team.

celia60
Member # 2039

Misha already is getting them, but if the ones I gave to the lab guy come back to me after he watches them, I'll pass them along to you. I can't remember which all he took, but he got The Sun Makers, which is one of my favorite Tom Baker episodes.

edit: which is why she has K-9 in The Five Doctors, right?

doubleedit: hey, Porter, *cough*

[ October 18, 2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

When I was a kid I loved K-9, but my god he grates on my nerves now that I'm an adult. Of course, he was basically designed to make the show more kid-friendly again, wasn't he?

In any case, I'm not a big Sarah Jane Smith fan either, so this doesn't sound like a show that I'd be able to stomach. Not that it matters, since it never made it past its pilot anyway.

My favorite companions were Leela and the second Romana, by far. What about anybody else?

celia60
Member # 2039

Same [Smile] though Turrlough will always have a special place in my heart, even if I can't spell his name.
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

Yup, that's why she has him in the Five Doctors (loved that episode).

I never really liked Sarah Jane in the series, she always struck me as whiny. In the pilot she grew a backbone. I've always liked K-9, but then its been a while since I saw an episode with him in it.

Ohhh the Sun Makers, wasn't that the one with the little corporate guy on the chair who turned out to be (literally!) slime?

I really liked Romana but I'd have to say my most memorable companion was Adric. He was the first major character in anything I had seen that actually died, which made quite an impact on me as a kid. I remember sitting in front of the TV in shocked disbelief with tears pouring down my face when they killed him off. Plus he was pretty young, so I may have identified a bit more with him.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, if you're a fan of the Tom Baker era, it's worth picking up the comic PS238 for an amusing homage. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Celia -- I've been trying the one month trial of netflix, and I haven't been all that impressed. In one month, we've only been able to watch one season of one show. For just a few bucks more, I could have bought it off of ebay.

I think I'm going to cancel netflix today.

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried when Adric died too. And wore a black armband to school the next day.
I really miss Dr. Who.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Tom, I'll have to check that out next time I'm at my local used bookstore/comic book place.
Noemon
Member # 1115

By the way, speaking of comic books, I came across a Neil Gaiman quote the other day on The Anisble that I like quite a bit

quote:
If sci-fi is the gutter of literature, comics are the place that the gutter flows into.

[ October 18, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of this at all.

[Frown] Sometimes I doubt my geek credentials.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Porter, I knew you were doing the trial, I didn't know it wasn't proving suitable to your lifestyle. btw, we watched Last Man Standing. Is that one you told me about? I can't remember why it was on the queue.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I go through phases where something like Netflix is ideal for me, and phases where I want to rent almost nothing at all, and it would be a tremendous waste of money. I think I'm coming out of the former and into the latter phase at the moment.

Katie-- [Eek!]

katharina
Member # 827

Netflix saves me about a billion dollars because, even if I don't quite get money's worth on occasional months, it means I don't buy movies impulsively and I don't have late fees at the video store. I am incapable of returning DVDs on time, so this is much better.

Plus, I can say "I'll put it on the list" and mean every word.

Noemon - I know. It's horrible. I've also never read LOTR all the way through. [Frown] And I hate programmers and consider a computer to be an occasionally-bothersome tool. [Cry] Do I even belong here?

[ October 18, 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

By the way, has anybody watched Curb Your Enthusiasm? I rented the first disk the other day, and watched the first episode last night. It struck me as kind of funny, but I disliked all of the characters so much that I can't imagine watching the show on a regular basis. Is it still on the air? Does it get better?
celia60
Member # 2039

Haven't seen that, but we did start watching Dead Like Me. My reaction to the pilot was "it's interesting, but I'm not sure it's entertainment." The subsequent episodes have been getting better, but I don't think it's ever going to be laugh out loud funny.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I watched the first two disks or so of Dead Like Me, and never got into it. I had the same reaction you did to the pilot, and somehow just didn't find the show interesting or satisfying enough to bother renting the rest of the first season.
celia60
Member # 2039

Maybe it appeals to the way I view general social interactions in day to day activities or maybe that one undead guy is just really cute. We just finished the second disc over the weekend and the third is pretty high on the queue, so we should be getting it soon. I know, I know, I'll get to Firefly eventually.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The problem with netflix is that out here in Utah Valley, it can take more than a full week from when I send out a DVD until I can get the next one.
"Unlimited" rentals per month equals out to only seven for me.

Celia -- yeah, we talked about "Last Man Standing" when we were talking about Kurosawa films, and I mentioned that "Last Man Standing" was an Americanized version of "Yojimbo". What did you think?

celia60
Member # 2039

*THAT*s what it was. We couldn't figure out what it reminded us of. We both enjoyed.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
The problem with netflix is that out here in Utah Valley, it can take more than a full week from when I send out a DVD
My turn around is about four days - if I put one in the mail on Monday, I'll get the next one on Thursday and sometimes Wednesday. It really works.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I wonder why it hasn't worked for me. [Grumble]
celia60
Member # 2039

Yet another reason you should be living here. [Razz]

Where do yous get shipped from? Our come from a distribution center in Indy or occasionally Chicago.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Netflix saves me about a billion dollars because, even if I don't quite get money's worth on occasional months, it means I don't buy movies impulsively and I don't have late fees at the video store. I am incapable of returning DVDs on time, so this is much better.

Plus, I can say "I'll put it on the list" and mean every word.

I have SUCH a huge Netflix list... well I think it is, some of you would probably scoff LOL

And I get mine in 2 days from when I send off the prior disk because I live less than 30 miles from a distribution center. Yay me! I usually have a movie for about a week before I get around to sending it back.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.