FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Draft - Would You Go? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Draft - Would You Go?
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how many people here would join the U.S. military if they were drafted. I know a lot of people are are not eligible, but for the sake of argument pretend that you are.

Assume you are drafted to help stabilize things in Iraq. Also assume that there is a good chance that you might not be able to serve in a noncombat capacity as a conscientious objector.

I would be very upset if there was a draft, especially after both candidates specifically stated that we wouldn't have one.

My personal answer to this is "it depends." If my parents are still alive I would not go to Iraq because they rely on me for financial support. My parents don't speak English and I'm their only child. I figure I have a greater responsibility to them than to my countr. I know If my parents passed away (they are in their early sixties) then I would serve.

edited to clarify hypo and answer.

[ October 19, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were drafted I would try to get a deferment until april when I will be done with my masters. Seems silly to cut off my research when I am this close to being done.

If my deferment was rejected, I would go.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I (probably) wouldn't be drafted as a female, but if the draft was reinstated I'd go over anyway, in the Red Cross.

I feel that since many of my friends would be drafted, it would be unfair of me to at least be there to give some people comfort.

I told this to my father, however, who immediately changed his position on the draft.

[ October 18, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming there was a draft, and assuming I was in fact eligible for it, and assuming I was drafted, I would look for any potential "outs" based on family status, health, etc., but would do nothing shady to qualify for any such "outs." If none of them applied to me, I would go.

I mean, what's the alternative here? Break the law? Become a fugitive? Flee to Canada? Nope, not an option in my mind.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go - but I'd be the first one on the Capital steps in uniform after I got back.

Provided, of course, I got back.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had sons I would have a hard time sending them off to war, knowing that evil people are calling the shots and are using the war to consolidate wealth and power.

When I say "evil people," I'm not talking about American presidents or Democrats or Republicans. The cause and outcome of our wars is forever out of our hands. We are pawns, or more precisely, slaves.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
In this fantasy scenario, who are we at war with?

Are we having a draft because China has invaded us, or are we having a war because North Korea has nukes, and we invade them?

Or is it for the ongoing War in Iraq?

I don't think we are at War in Iraq,
if so are we at war with the Iraqis, or
are we at war with Al-queda?

If it is Al-queda, it's not a war, it's a police Action because Al-Queda ain't a country, it's a bunch of insane blood thursty power hungry thugs.

What am I being drafted into?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
As opposed to what?

I would probably look for legal means to avoid it, since I have kids, and since I'm not quite on board, philosophically, with the war in Iraq. (Or are you referring to some other hypothetical war?)

But if all those options were exhausted, I would not flee the country or otherwise dodge the draft. Which is not intended as a criticism of those that did. It's just not what I would do.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm female so I'm not eligible. But if I were:

I'd try to get a job in intelligence. It's one of the things that I'd like to do anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

If I couldn't? I guess I'll be the first here, but I'd dodge. Either go to Canada or where ever else I can go safely. It would suck though, let's not have a draft.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be the second. I would dodge the draft if my parents were still alive.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Canadian and female, but for the sake of argument...

I'd dodge. I'd probably feel a little guilty but I'd dodge. It feels a little like hypocrisy- I'm not a pacifist- but I can't image shooting someone, or organising other people to shoot other people.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're talking about the current war in Iraq (and I use the term hesitantly), I would absolutely dodge the draft, and make sure my husband did, too. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of losing him or myself for such a stupid, stupid reason, just as it makes me sick to think of all the American kids and Iraqi civilians giving up their lives for it.

If we were actually called to DEFEND our country from an honest threat, that would be different.... but I have a hell of a lot more to do with my life than invade some harmless country to spread American ideals.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
If there were a draft I would sign up before I could actually be drafted. I would do this for two reasons. First, it would give me a chance to at least pick the branch and no I wouldn't pick the navy or air force just to try to avoid life threatening circumstances. Second, I believe that in the circumstances that a draft were to be called the need would be inherently sufficient to require as many bodies as quickly as possible, I believe that would only not be the case under such a government that I would have already left to country.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It irritates the snot out of me that my friends who have recently been awarded their green cards can be drafted but cannot vote. What kind of justice is that?

If it were me and I were an American with all the thoughts and feelings I have now I'd dodge the crap out of it and come to Canada. In fact, even if there wasn't a war I'd come to Canada. Go Canada! Woo! [Smile]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe in war, so I simply would not go. If they arrest me, I will take what I get and justify it to all those who would accuse me of being anti-American.
Oddly enough, if this country was invaded I could see myself taking up arms to defend it in an insurgency.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I would not go if I could avoid it. It would be very wrong, not to mention dangerous for me personally! Once people accept a violation of their rights, those rights become lost.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the war. WW2, yes. Iraq, no.

I'd either go to Canada, or do alternative service.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. I hope there is no draft, for the practical reason that I believe the most effective military is an all-volunteer military, and also for the selfish reason that I don't want to be killed. But unlike most people, I do believe that our current military actions are just, and I would go and do my part if I had to. I won't enlist, because I know that I'd make a lousy soldier. But if the President decided the situation were desperate enough to need me, I'd do whatever I could to help.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're assuming that the country is not in any danger, then a draft is unacceptable to me--I don't think the government has the right to demand my labor in any capacity, especially not for hazardous jobs. (Taxes, okay, telling me what to do, no.) It can beg me, pay me lots of money, appeal to my sense of patriotism, but when it crosses the line into forced servitude it becomes wrong.

Of course, there's almost no way I'd end up in combat given my physical abilities, and I admit that I'd probably go if drafted. I would be too afraid to try to dodge, and I'd possibly feel guilty if I did.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
In this draft, do you get to choose which branch you get to join? If not, and I heard the draft was being reinstated I'd try to join willingly before so I could be in the Air Force like my dad.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
If there was a draft, I would try to join the air force, because they're the coooolest. I'd still go if I were drafted.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
As has been said earlier, the government won't re-institute the draft in the forseeable future due to the lowered capabilities of a forced-service military (Lack of motivation being the main cause for that). That being said, I've allready tried to sign up in every branch but the Navy and have been rejected because I have asthma. So yes, if there was a draft, and they let people with asthma go, I would.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Were I eligible, which I'm not likely to be, I would refuse to be in any position in the army, including army medical units. I would be willing to work with a non-army medical unit, if I were given training, and proved able, or to work in refugee camps or whatever.

If they were to force me into an army position, I would refuse, and, if neccessary, go to jail.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go, but I wouldn't be any help to the military.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider the idea of a draft highly unlikely (though perhaps more likely if John Kerry is elected,) but in the event that the all-volunteer portion of the military is inadequate for our needs and a draft was instated, then I would be the first to voluntarily enlist. It's better than getting drafted and assigned to be a bullet-catcher.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
The proposed draft that was recently shot down in the house included both sexes. I do not think girls are immune anymore. It allowed for non-military service. It also made it harder to dodge the draft.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
If there were a draft, I'd be dressed in leather pants, a spandex shirt, and a pink boa faster than you could say fuh-LAY-ming.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
If a draft were to occur... I'd just sign up for military service... If our country were in a bad enough spot to need a draft i'd gladly go and serve... I may die... but i'd die in a way that'd make my family proud (all of my extended family has served, plus my grandfathers, both of whom served in WWII)

But then again... I've been called crazy on many occasions, and i don't try to deny it.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
leather pants, a spandex shirt, and a pink boa faster than you could say fuh-LAY-ming
[ROFL]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a strange world where the best use this country has for me is shooting other people.

I'd sooner learn farsi or teach philosophy in prison, but I'd go. I'd shut up about it when I was over there, but when/if I got back, I would be an angry, angry veteran.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were American, and were drafted, I'd flee to Poland.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
My response has been "stolen" by BHill and Stryker. If the US needed warriors badly enough to need a draft I would have already volunteered. If somehow I was drafted or was recalled after previous service I would do what was required of me by the nation.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
I'd sooner learn farsi or teach philosophy in prison, but I'd go. I'd shut up about it when I was over there, but when/if I got back, I would be an angry, angry veteran.
Do you think you could keep yourself from being a liability while over there, or is it just that going over, no matter the result, would clear your conscience?

More precisely, would you go to positively affect your theoretical unit, or just to have gone?

Me, I'd stay home because I'd be more likely, in a real world situation, to do something treasonous. I love this country, but not enough that I'd torture or abuse POWs on the order of a ranking officer. And I most certainly would refuse a direct order, like the recent occurrence, if I were sent on a mission that was more suicidal than need be. Or suicidal at all, for that matter. Nothing is more important to me than staying alive.

My conscience would definitely be more clear by not going than it would be from fighting in a war I believe to be so deeply contrary to American principles, "duty" to the country be damned.

Hey CyberDan, can I crash on your couch?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'd let you crash on mine any time, but you didn't even ask.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See, Eddie would look hot even in THAT outfit.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a draft I'll go out and buy more couches, Eddie. Heck, I'd even let you pick. But you have to remember that this is a vegan home, no choice comes without sacrifice [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*Considers the relative disrespect of reciting lines from "Alice's Restaurant" . . . chuckles and wanders off . . . *
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate it, but I'd go.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
For defense of the US, I'd likely join up or be drafted... I'd prefer Navy, as both my father and grandfather were enlisted men there.

For a war like Iraq (or maybe Iran, or Syria, et.), I'd go to jail. I feel I owe enough to this country not to bail on it (flee to Canada), abdicating my citizenship, in a sense, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with the government on any particular act, and as a citizen from the tradition of this particular country, I'd perform some civil disobedience.

Or move to Poland. I hear it has wonderful scenery. Ahem.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(As a 43 year old female, it would never happen, but since we are talking hypothetics here...)

I would go. I like order and structure and authority, so I would probably do just fine in armed services.

However, I would probably personally request non-combat (like work in a military hospital, or something office, etc.) because there are plenty of positions that don't require carrying a gun daily. I would prefer to not HAVE to be engaged in active combat.

I think about this often since I have two draft-age sons. The oldest says, "Hell, no way!" although I can see him being quite good in military because he is normally extremely self-disciplined and in very good physical condition. The other son is just the opposite and the military would either change him or kill him. I would fear the latter.

But I grew up with a strong family philosophy of respect for authority and respect for government's duty to put the needs of the many ahead of needs of the individual. So I would most like not fight any draft.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose if there were a draft I'd probably go, depending on the nature of the war. I'd definitely go if it were in direct defense of the U.S., perhaps not if it was a war of choice such as Iraq. I think I'd enlist in the Air Force before I could be drafted, because that's the branch most likely to be able to make use of me. I'd make a really lousy soldier, I wouldn't want to have my unit relying on me in a combat zone because I'm sure I'd screw up and fail them. But I think I could probably be put to good use back behind the front lines. And I'm not just saying that cause I want to save my skin--my parents don't depend on me, I have no kids, and my husband can take care of himself--but I really don't want other soldiers to be reliant on me in a combat situation.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I am old, female, and asthmatic. but if I was young, male and healthy, I'd sign up for the Navy or Air Force before they could draft me.

But let me point out that while both candidates have stated there will be no draft, Kerry is the one promising to add 40,000 troops to the military without saying how he would do it. Maybe this is just a vacant campaign promise, but the Democrats HAVE put draft bills up for a vote in both houses of congress. They were resoundly defeated.

[ October 19, 2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
But let me point out that while both candidates have stated there will be no draft, Kerry is the one promising to add 40,000 troops to the military without saying how he would do it. Maybe this is just a vacant campaign promise, but the Democrats HAVE put draft bills up for a vote in both houses of congress. They were resoundly defeated.
A. Those bills were never intended to pass.

B. I think Kerry is hoping to work on getting more foreign troops to work with us in Iraq.

C. I will not believe Bush is against the draft until I hear him say: "Read my lips-there will be no draft."

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't believe him, even then. After all, he's supporting a set of policies (namely, starting wars of choice while rejecting virtually all possibility of international assistance) which could box him into to choosing between defeat in the war on terror and going back on any promises not to have a draft. Given that he's said he'd "stop at nothing" to defeat terrorism, do you really think he'd hesitate to break his promises on the draft?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
He won't say "read my lips" anything. That would be a red flag to the left due to his spineless father. But he has stated over and over and over that there will be no draft.

From whom will Kerry get these troops? The French and the Germans have both stated that they will send NO troops regardless of who is president. And he's out there offending our current allies by saying they're doing nothing or next to nothing.

Basically, the whole draft idea is a cheap stunt from the left and you totally fell for it.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Basically, the whole draft idea is a cheap stunt from the left and you totally fell for it.
The draft is a very scary, though unlikely, possibility for a horribly overextended military. And who is this "you" and what did they "fall for"?

And thanks to the both of you for sapping all the humor out of my "Read my lips" joke.

FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were drafted, I would go.

I've actually thought long and hard about this, since it seems a draft nowadays would include drafting women.

I'd be a lousy soldier and an even lousier nurse, but I could put my other talents to use. I could steal and eat the enemy's chocolate bars when they aren't looking. That's something I excell at.

And since a woman's temper is often scarier than anything else on this planet, I could scare the living daylights out of the enemy by chasing them around and forcing them to tell me for REAL if I look fat in combat boots.

[ October 19, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: FoolishTook ]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, tough question. I'm beyond the draft age, but I'll imagine for a moment.

My first instinct would be a strong urge to get the h### out of this country and go live with my relatives on the Mediterranean. I have dual citizenship (U.S. and Italy) so it wouldn't be too hard for me to just live there for the rest of my life.

But I wouldn't run. I know that. I'm trying to be realistic. I would join up and fight, no matter how much our reasons for fighting pain me to the core.

I was born here, not in Italy. Not that I'd have it any worse if my parents had decided never to move to this country, that's not the point. My life is here, in America. My friends. My memories. If I dodged or moved away, I wouldn't be deserting this country. I'd be deserting the people I care about who have no other place to call home. How could I live with myself knowing that they're fighting, and I'm not? I think the pain of that would overwhelm me, and eventually override my urge to flee.

I would join. But not for my country. And not for this president. The draft, in all its unfairness, wouldn't just be affecting me. It would affect millions of people just like me. I would go for them, to help them fight, to protect them as best I could. Because that's what people keep telling me, for all my character flaws, the one thing I do exceptionally well is being a friend.

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, I'm a female so I don't think it would occur. However, if it did... If I could go in a noncombat position, than yes, I would go. If somehow I was going to placed into combat, I would not go.

It seems like pregnancy ought to get you out of duty. Not the noblest reason to have a kid, but adding a life to the world certainly seems better than losing my life for a cause I don't believe in. So if all else fails, girls have an out. [Razz]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.