FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » High School & Halloween

Author Topic: High School & Halloween
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all!

This week on Wednesday one of my classes is staying after school for a movie party. This is a reward for this class as they have completed a major project three weeks early. The students are freshmen to seniors. I don't want to show anything that R rated, or even racy PG-13 because I'm a prude and I'd like to keep it that way. I thought about showing Arsenic & Old Lace, but since it's black and white, I'm not sure if they will go for it.

The kids didn't give suggestions when I asked, so it's my choice. We wanted to stick with a Halloween theme.

The floor (or thread) is opened for suggestions.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie Brown!!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
off the top of my head. the princess bride.

is it an english clas, history, ?

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Nightmare before Christmas?
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Nightmare Before Christmas suggestion.

Chances are you wouldn't want to show Rocky Horror.

Psycho probably would be out too.. Hmm.

No wait.. I've found it. Young Frankenstein! It's so hilarious; you must watch it! And it's rated PG!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Young Frankenstein is black and white, tho... But I like the idea. [Smile]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Arsenic & Old Lace and Young Frankenstein would be awesome! (And I do love Nightmare Before Christmas, though the kids may not) High school kids would probably like Young Frankenstein better than Arsenic & Old Lace, I'd think.

[ October 19, 2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
How about "The Ring"...it is pg-13 and was pretty creepy/scary.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I showed the Princess Bride to my students once. (It was during a basically "free" period that was created due to an extra lunch period school wide.) They loved it once they got into it.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and many things that don't require a movie.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, I3 beat me. I full heartedly support Nightmare before Christmas, and Young Frankenstein. In fact, for the past 5 years or so, I've made it a point to watch one of them every Halloween.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Murder By Death
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of Young Frankenstein. I also thought of Edward Scissorhands.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Oh man, I haven't seen Murder by Death in a long time. I need to see it again!

Maybe Deathtrap? Is it too close to Reeve's death to watch one of his movies?

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Murder by Death is very funny. Will high school kids get the references?
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Clue!
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I second Clue. [Smile] I even have that DVD.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nightmare Before Christmas! Nightmare Before Christmas!

Or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to proclaim the dangers of candy (oh, fine, and all that moral nonsense too). It is, after all, almost Halloween.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

I dunno, Clue has some pretty raunchy stuff in it. I think that might draw parental complaint.

Great cast, though. Gotta love Tim Curry in that one. Eileen Brennan is note-perfect, and Madeline Kahn was easily one of the sexiest comediennes ever. Smart+Funny=Sexy, every time, but she was so good, it's so sad she's passed on. [Frown]

Maybe I'll watch that tonight. [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing as scary as Willy Wanka.

Those oompah loompahs are just evil.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thought about showing Arsenic & Old Lace
This is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. I adore it. I own it, and watch it every few days or so. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
How about... Ernest Scared Stupid

or not....

I just wanted to post

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm i was thinking of Almost Famous, which happens to be one of my favorite movies and doesn't have anything racy. Edward Scissorhands is another good one, or Benny and Joon.
thats all i could think of for now!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the made-for-TV movie The Stand, but it's eight hours long. Great soundtrack, though, and Gary Sinise is brilliant as always.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a career development class.

I like the idea of Young Frnakenstein and the Nightmare before Christmas. I doubt many of my students have seen either.

I love the princesse bride, but that's the movie for testing week in the spring. I'm always amazed at how many of my students haven't seen it.

I don't think I can stomache The Ring. (I have an aversion to scary movies)

What's Murder by Death about?

I'll have to watch some of these myself.. like Clue, the Stand and Almost Famous. *puts more movies on list*

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Clue has some pretty raunchy stuff in it."

If you're nervous about the raunchy nature of Clue, how can you possibly consider showing Young Frankenstein?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hallo. Vould you like a roll in ze hay? Roll, roll, roll in ze hay!
[ROFL]
Seriously, Young Frankenstein isn't all that risque (well, aside from some of Madeline Kahn's lines). There's nothing there that kids can't see nowadays on TV.

The only other recommendation I can make is Dr. Strangelove. I know you're shooting for a Halloween theme, but I think a really great satire on war and politics could do a lot to ease tensions about the war and the election...

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Not sure if this will fly, but how about Braindead (otherwise known as Dead Alive)? It's one of Peter Jackson's first feature films (if not his first, I'll have to check that). It's a zombie comedy with really cheesy gore that's so over-the-top and campy it will have you rolling on the floor the entire time. At least, I can't stop laughing every time I see it! [Smile]
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if your a so called "prude" these kids arent gonna want to watch something dull and in black and white. The only thing you probably could pull off would be young frankenstein, and thats pushing it. My advice would be to show something up to date that they would enjoy.

Possible ideas-
Scream
Beetlejuice
The Addams Family
Carrie
Sleepy Hollow

Take it from me im in high school [Evil]

[ October 19, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sixth Sense?

I just saw that movie for the first time, and even though I knew the ending already, it was great.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Beetlejuice is another fun idea. I don't remember much of it, though.

I dunno, I guess Young Frankenstein seemed less raunchy in my memory than Clue. Looking at the quotes, the "what knockers" line and the "enormous schwanstucker" line are probably equal to anything in clue, though Clue is a bit more, um, fixated on raunch. Funny, but raunchy.

It's all a matter of risk management: how much does Co want to risk parental complaint? TV is much worse than anything in Clue, yes, but a lot of people are also upset about that. That material is ambient in the culture, however, and I think it's different if an authority figure not only "approves" risqué matrial but actually brings it directly to the students. Society has lots of unrealistic expectations of teachers, and a few realistic ones, and Co just has to best navigate that minefield.

BTW, I love the following sequence in Clue:

Colonel Mustard : Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there is nobody else in this house?
Wadsworth : Ummm, no.
Colonel Mustard : Then there is someone else in this house?
Wadsworth : No, sorry. I said no meaning yes.
Colonel Mustard : No meaning yes? Look I want a straight answer, is there someone else, or isn't there? Yes or no?
Wadsworth : Ummm, no.
Colonel Mustard : No there is, or no there isn't?
Wadsworth : Yes.

katharina
Member # 827

"I remember you, but you may not remember me."
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Addams Family. Great movie.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Make a list of movies that you'd accept. Have the kids vote on it. Then they are selecting, so they can't complain.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Murder by Death is basically a super silly, non-raunchy, and IMO vastly superior version of Clue. An eccentric millionaire invites a selected group of guests (all famed detectives) to his house for dinner (and a murder, which they are challenged to solve). Notables in the cast are Peter Falk (film noir-style gumshoe), Alec Guinness (the millionaire's blind butler), David Niven (aristocrat), and Peter Sellers (very punny Oriental).

[ October 20, 2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try Troll. It's a cheesy horror show from the '80s. I remember seeing it when I was younger (probably preteen) and I thought it was scary.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Young Frankenstein is the best option.

*blushes* Nightmare Before Christmas scares me, and I wouldn't watch it if our class was watching it.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
These are high school students, right? Why all the grade school horror/comedy flicks? Princess Bride? Willy Wonka? What kind of halloween movies are those?
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Labyrinth? Nothing scarier than the songs in that. [Razz]

Seriously, though, I saw Arsenic and Old Lace for the first time in HS, and loved it. Or what about something based on Agatha Christie? I've never actually seen any of those movies, but she's usually pretty creepy, so if there's a good adaptation, that might be a good choice.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Ok, here's what I got:

Young Frankenstein
Ghostbusters
Nightmare Before Christmas
Clue

I haven't seen any of these before and I let them choose during class- Apparently the robotics club showed Young Frankenstein yesterday (too bad, I wanted to see it).. but no one has seen Ghostbusters yet so that's what we're going with [Smile]

I've now got six "halloween" movies at my house that I have to watch thanks to all the suggestions. No homework for me this weekend [Evil]

Thanks y'all!

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Heh, I missed Ghostbusters in the list. Fun choice.
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
OO forgot one movie and i dont know how!
Ernest Scared Stupid Its a classic [

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.