FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for clever computer people (or anyone really)

Author Topic: Question for clever computer people (or anyone really)
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
If I have a song saved on my computer, is there any way to slice out a piece of it and use it as a buddy alert?

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that is what I am working on in "What in the Sound Can that be?" You may want to check it out. There is a good link there.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, is it in mp3 format? First you'll have to convert it to .wav (most likely) and then cut it out. This can be done easily with freeware, try webattack.com

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to convert it to wav. There are plenty of programs that can manipulate or edit mp3 files as well as loads of others. The ones I know of are for pay though.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Or do it the easy way, open Sound Recorder
(Start > Accessories > Entertainment)
Start your MP3 player software, play the song, hit record in sound recorder at the point you want, hit stop when its over, voila, no need to download extra software.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Every once in a while I find a freeware program that deals directly with mp3s, but it's normally really, really bad. I recomend converting to wav first.

WinAmp will do this btw, but you'll have to get something else to cut out sections, plenty of freeware programs do a fine job of that once it's in .wav format.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ha, didn't even think of that Boris! [Embarrassed] [Wave]

Hobbes [Smile]

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I fix computers for a living (Okay, so I used to). I think of stuff no one else does [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you people not sourceforge? What's wrong with you? Go get audacity. It's awesome.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What is that, Mr Sq?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Kwea,
Two people recommended it on the other thread. It's an open source audio editing tool available on sourceforge.net. Here's the link.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I want to check it out, but I will have to wait until tomorrow...at the soonest!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Goldwave (fully functional shareware). You might have to download an mp3 codec, but it's available for free.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

MrSquicky,

Does it let you chop up .wav files? Do you know how?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

lem, yeah, just select the part of the wav that you want and then make a new wav. edit: errr...I mean drag the mouse over the part you want and use the, I think it's the record function. I don't actually have audacity where I am right now. I'll download it and see.

edit the second: Ok, select the section you wnat with the mouse. You can check it by hitting play. That'll only play the selected part. Then go to the file menu and click on export selection as a wav. Poof, there ya go.

[ October 21, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I use Magix Video Deluxe it works better as a music editor than a video editor ( I got it for 99 cents + S&H on Ebay! ). It let's you save it in a wav format but I am looking for something that converts wavs into midis actually. [Dont Know]

[ October 21, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, you cannot convert a .wav to a .midi (although you can convert a MIDI file to a WAV file), mainly because the two types of file are actually completely different. A MIDI file is not actually a sound recording.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up with Tom, midi is a lot like electronic sheet music, where mp3s, wavs, etc, are digital representations of an actual performance/recording.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Tanks Mr...IT is going good!
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Goldwave is awesome. I used it to do my Buffy In a Nutshell tracks when I was making a copy of the musical (which I then went out an purchased AS SOON AS IT BECAME AVAILABLE. I'm just too big of a Buffy fan, and couldn't even wait for the official to come out.)
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Audacity which is completely free, and works well for simple projects like what you are describing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.