FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Landmark Threads.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Frank (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Frank
Centurion
Member # 3956

- posted      Profile for Centurion           Edit/Delete Post 
In accordance with Frank's wishes, he wanted someone to write a thank you to all the people he spoke with here. He always enjoyed your conversations.
For those who knew him, he passed Sunday morning after fighting a battle with leukemia and was interred in Okinawa.

Rie

Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank = Centurion?

[Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for telling us; he was a valued member of the community.

[Frown]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I think so Icarus.

When I saw this thread I thought "Oh, cool, Centurion is back!"

[Frown]

[ October 22, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Thank you for telling us. He was a valued part of Hatrack.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Me too. I was going to post something like, "I'm not sure who Frank was, but I'm absolutely thrilled to see you posting here again, Centurion!"

[Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for letting us know, Rie. We will miss him.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I started to write almost exactly the same thing, Icarus, and then realized who Frank must be.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for telling us. You have our sympathies and prayers.

He will be missed.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. [Frown] Thank you for letting us know, Rie. Frank -- as Centurion -- was well-liked and much-admired here, and we all had a great deal of respect for him. My condolences, despite being filtered as they are by distance and anonymity, go out to you.

[ October 22, 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to learn of your loss, Rie. He will be remembered and greatly missed. [Frown]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Our deepest condolences. [Frown]
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting us know! [Frown] I hadn't realized he'd been battling leukemia.

I hope he is at peace and that his friends and family will find comfort in this dark time.

[ October 22, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] My condolences.

How little you know about people... I think a fitting eulogy would be to make this a permanent Landmark Thread if possible.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
OH, that is so sad and upsetting. [Frown]

My condolences to all his family and friends. I didn't know him well, and I wish I had gotten to know him when I had the opportunity. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Thank you for passing on his words.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I really liked that guy. Frank was a class act. The world is a poorer place without him in it.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry.

Thanks for letting us know.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] My sincere condolences go out to his family. Thanks for passing the message along Rie. It was sweet of him to remember his time on this forum. We will certainly remember him.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(((( I don't even know who to hug! )))

(((old-time Hatrackers)))

Perhaps Centurion was mostly before my time here, but it is still so sad to know we have had the passing of a Hatracker.......

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I'm so sorry. I was also very excited at the thought that he might be back.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Rie,
I wish I could express the sorrow I feel,just knowing you are bearing a loss so profund. May it comfort you to know that others care...
With my deepest sympathy

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear that Centurion passed away.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to see if I could pull up an obit from the Okinawa Times online, but couldn't get my browser to translate......

Wish I had known more about him.
[Frown]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You can read some of his posts from last winter...and maybe you can get a glimpse of his funny/caring/down to earth personality.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Centurion used to hang out in Parachat a lot, back when Parachat wasn't dead. (When Ralphie ruled it with a leather fist, and aretee was her handmaiden.) He was always a genial presence there, except for one time when a youngish male regular made a comment that was uncomfortably explicit. Centurion let him have it: he was a gentleman, and he expected the same of everyone.

Rie--are you a relative? A friend? If so, I'm sorry for your loss. He must have been quite a special person to know in real life. He was always a class act here. We were enriched by the little bit of time he spent here, and we will miss him too.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Rie - Centurion was extremely kind to me when my sister died last year. He had very nice thoughts, and was the last person to post an inquiry on how things were going.

I'm extremely sorry for your loss. His personality as reflected on Hatrack was fabulous, and he was missed even before we knew why he was gone. Thank you for letting us know. Give yourself and all those close to you a hug for me, a total stranger who adored him. [Smile]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Condolences to you and the rest of Frank's family and friends.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

wow. Thank you so much for telling us.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
A brief Centurion retrospective. God speed, Centurion! [Hat]

quote:
<“Centurion”> One who is in command of a century. I got the name from a friend who says I still act like a stiff-necked Marine.

I'm not real hugable. A flaw on my part. And a girl just gave me a fat lip. I'm having a good day.

My hobbit name is Till Moss of Lake-by-Downs. My elven name is Elessar Nolatari.

…see if you can buy anything without a certain sense of your own materialistic needs.

Maybe. I just hope that they're not sacrificed for ethics.

People know that I normally travel armed. … Leave a live round under the sofa cushions, or put a hole in the screen in their bathroom and a shell casing on the floor by the toilet. For some reason that seems to have friends and family calling my machine for weeks.

I've never looked at any one's infra-red laser (IRL) without their permission.

As an itinerant lurker, I was here some time before I posted anything. However, I never thought of myself as a n00bie. As always, I recon the area before I let others know of my presence. I've posted relatively few times, but I'm sure I've ticked a number of you old-timers off on more than one occasion. Some intentional, some not. I am admittedly fairly outspoken. That said, I will have to choose path number 2. I was raised in a family that did hunt, and I've always been somewhat good at it. Later in the Corps, and other military activities, I learned to use scopes and other fun things. (Slightly nervous about the metal in Leto's body, but that's his fault anyway.)

Does worrying about one's newbie status confirm one's place as a newbie?

Come see, me, or I will start yelling obscenities at the TV?

I understand how hard it is to tell someone to turn off the machines and I wish that any poor words of mine would make you feel better.

Come on, Mack! You know, as well as I, that not being dead means more than breathing in and out. If you want to remain 'not dead,' go forth and live.

<I blame Mack for>Hair styles of the 60's Disco from the 70's I will accept full blame for the 80's However, none of this compares to the horror and atrocity(?) that comprises the entity known as the Olson Twins! {How can you even sleep at night?}

I guess that makes me really old and retired at 41.

Still naughty. Still loving it.

What's with all the sheets?

I made it home. And, yes, Dorothy was right, there really is no place like home.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
oi [Frown]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Come on, Mack! You know, as well as I, that not being dead means more than breathing in and out. If you want to remain 'not dead,' go forth and live.

quote:
I made it home. And, yes, Dorothy was right, there really is no place like home.

[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I never really knew him, but I'm sorry to hear he passed away. Where is he going to be buried? If possible, I'd like to go with Bernard and pay my respects.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they said Okinowa (soryy, I can't spell even when it isn't 3:32 am here..lol..).

My deepest condolences.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Thank you for telling us. He will be missed.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my. I remember having seen Centurion's posts... I'm so glad that he remembered us here... [Frown]

Bye Centurion. Sorry for your loss, Rie. [Frown]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps Centurion was mostly before my time here, but it is still so sad to know we have had the passing of a Hatracker.......

Ditto on that....

[Cry]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for remembering us Frank. We will certainly remember you. [Frown]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry.

(Bob, your tribute was lovely.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had gotten to know him better. Strange to feel the loss of someone so sharply that you hardly knew. If you should read this, Rie, I am sorry for your loss. And for ours.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank will be missed.

I am deeply sorry for your loss, Rie.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.