FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sometimes Do-It-Yourself Costs More

Author Topic: Sometimes Do-It-Yourself Costs More
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially when you keep changing your mind. [Big Grin]

When trying on wedding attire, I was completely disgusted with the price of veils. A few yards of tulle, which I can usually find on sale for 50 cents a yard, selling for $65-100. It’s ridiculous. Besides which, I didn’t want a tulle veil, I wanted a chiffon veil, and I the only one I found was pure white (my dress is diamond white) and it was shorter than I’d like. So I bought 2 ¾ yards of 45” ivory chiffon for $13.75 and made one myself.

But I decided it wasn’t full enough. So I special ordered 108” off-white chiffon from a theatrical supply company. That cost $43, including shipping, (because I ordered almost 1/3 more than I needed, just to be sure.) That veil looks great, but it’s very heavy and not very “floaty.” It just kind of hangs there.

So when Belle linked to a wholesale company that sells silk in a crafting thread awhile back I was . . . interested. I just ordered a bolt of 45” 8mm silk chiffon. It will come to about $42, including shipping, which means I have now officially spent more than I would have if I’d just bought a veil in the first place. [Blushing] But it will be light! And floaty!

And it looks like I’m going to be selling unused wedding veils on e-bay. [Embarrassed]

[ October 22, 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not keep them around until the next Hatrack wedding?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Something borrowed! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Good point. Anybody want a veil?

imogen?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, um, you'll be thinly veiled?

[Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Dana, I am sorely tempted. But I don't think the dress I have will suit a veil - I'm planning just on fresh flowers in my hair.

I am, however, flattered to be offered. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she's trying to unveil herself on ebay
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's stay out of the metal teapot arena, and it should be okay.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, um, you'll be thinly veiled?
Bob, you're definitely cool enough to marry DKW. [Cool]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my husband didn't want to pay $525 for a massage table. He made one for about $5000. But the good news is we have a table saw, a jointer, a planer, a scroll saw, 2 drill presses, 2 routers, and all the yodas that go with them. Oh yeah, the bench mounted belt sander and the 12" diameter miter saw. We haven't used any of it since Y2K. Not because of Y2K per se, just as I'm thinking about it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Just got e-mail notification that my silk has shipped. WooHoo!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
All you needed to do is yell at them for a discount.

That's called a Veiled Threat.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, my husband didn't want to pay $525 for a massage table. He made one for about $5000. But the good news is we have a table saw, a jointer, a planer, a scroll saw, 2 drill presses, 2 routers, and all the yodas that go with them. Oh yeah, the bench mounted belt sander and the 12" diameter miter saw. We haven't used any of it since Y2K.
[ROFL]

Sounds a little too familiar!

[ October 26, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, have you been talking to my wife?
Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob, you're definitely cool enough to marry DKW
Thanks intelligence3.

I might have to change my name to ego80 after that boost!!!

[Hat]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Moonrabbit, I thought I was your wife [Confused] Seriously, no.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it costs more to do it yourself, there's the cost for all the fancy materials and tools you buy to do it yourself (of course you'll use them later!), and then there's the $200 you shell out for a complete handyman's guide (it wont just rot on the shelf dear, from now on we'll never have to call a repairman again) and then the cost of getting someone to come and take out the debacle you tried to pawn off on your spouse as an actual appliance as opposed to a poorly built piece of trash, and then the cost of getting someone to do it right, and finally the money you spend on therapy as a direct result of your entire family rising against you when you mention your plans to change that boring old guest room into a walk in closet.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin] It's here! And it's floaty. I unrolled a few yards from the bolt and was twirling around the house with it. Beautiful fabric!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but I love seeing people taking joy in something I don't really get. I can't see myself ever being excited by material, but I love the fact it can make someone so happy.

It's good that everyone is made happy by different things, isn't it?

Dagonee
P.S., congratulations on finding your veil material.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Party]
dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin] Dag, there’s just something about silk – the way it moves is so different from other fabrics.

And after I’m done making the veil I’m going to have at least five yards left over to play with. [Cool]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Can I come over and play?

[Big Grin]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
How come Annie and I are never allowed to get away with this kind of flirting? Are we just too young? [Grumble] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Hobbes, we're too young.

Besides, they veiled their feelings for each other for so long, now that it's uncovered, why hide it?

[Wink]

Edit to add: I wanna Dana veil for my wedding! I say Jatraqueras should get them for half off.

I, of course, have at least three more years to change my mind on what I want my dress to look like.

[ October 28, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep at it Hobbes...Annie will let you know when you get it right... [Evil]
the flirting, I mean....what did you think I meant? [ROFL]

[ October 28, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] @ Kwea

[edit to add: well, technically, with]

[ October 28, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When in silks dkw goes
Then, methinks how sweetly flows
The liquefaction of her clothes!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.