FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Elder Gumby... (TORONTO!)

Author Topic: Elder Gumby... (TORONTO!)
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Gumby has been called to serve in the Toronto West mission (he won't be in Toronto, but will get a lot of the area west of it). Hooray! Pay him tribute.

[ October 24, 2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Anti-Chris ]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
*pays tribute*
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

::collects::

::buys a donut::

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Who?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Mr. Gumby. Friend, and lurker. He posts here and there.
Phanto
Member # 5897

He's a great guy.

*pays tribute again*

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Woo! More donuts!
Phanto
Member # 5897

I thought you'd use my money on something useful...not donuts [Frown] .

Donuts make you fat. Fat is EVIL! Thus speaketh the Force From Underwater.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The voice from underwater would be floating if it ate more donuts.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and congrats on the call.

[ October 24, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yay! Congratulations!

(Wait. Are you Mr. Gumby? I think you are.)

That's great. One of my best friends served in Toronto and met fabulous people and raves about it all the time. The cool thing about Toronto is that you get to work with a lot of cool foreign people and you eat realy well. Hooray!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Thank you for all the Congrats and Tributes. My area consists mainly of the east half of Ontario. Goes up to James/Hudson Bay, cuts down on the west to about 1/3 of Lake Superior, borders Quebec, goes all the way down to Leamington, but doesn't include most of the Eastern most part of Ontario. Hope that helps.

I wish I had a website that I could post the map that I recieved.

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Are you going to learn French? I don't remember how Canada is divided up lingustically... [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

Just wondering, but is it true that Vinegar and Salt are popular condiments?

My cousin said that they recieve a like thing of vinegar with their fries/chips (pending your American or British)

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

I was called to serve an English speaking mission, but that doesn't mean I will only run into people who speak english.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well for me I would say congratulations but I guess that would depend on what you wanted, so a general very big congratulations on the mission in general! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Salt and Vinegar/Ketchup flavored potato chips are the most commonly sold flavors in Canada. The Vinegarand salt on fries is a British thing, and only succeeded in Canada for some reason (Like the whole lack of revolution thing)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Gumby!!!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... Toronto is spectacular, isn't it? [Razz]

Honestly though, it's a great city, even though I've only lived here for a month and a half, I can say that. Even when it rains, it's a great city.

And Hobbes, although Quebec is the only officially mostly french-speaking province, there are pockets of francophones all throughout Canada, Canada is a bilingual country but some cities are more bilingual than others: Ottawa for example. Toronto, although not bilingual, is filled with people of all nationalities and languages; Fracophones, Anglophones and Allophones are all very prelevent.

[ October 25, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

For the record, Gumby is not I.
Annie
Member # 295

And the French speakers mostly live in Québec.

*goes back to packing, like she should be*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Don't listen to me; listen to Teshi, who makes a mean Kraft dinner.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yech
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
For the record, Gumby is not I.
There's a record? [Angst]

Hobbes [Smile]

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Of course there is a record. There is always a record.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I just read that Mr. Gumby won't be in Toronto proper.

Ah, well. It's still great. As is the rest of Canada [Big Grin] .

Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

Off the record. I know what Fracophones and Anglophones are, but what are Allophones?
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah, this is a special Canadian word. (I actually just learnt it today, but I'm being stuck up and pretending everyone should know- sorry about that) Allophones is everyone who isn't a Francophone or and Anglophone.

If you look it up at dictionary.com you see it actually says it's a Canadian word. (It's very exciting!)

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerms/WhatIsAnAllophone.htm [Razz]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

Thanks, I've been brushing up on Canadian Slang, but it doesn't comfort me that every website I've been to talks about a two-fer/two-four which is a 24 pack of beer. [Frown]
Teshi
Member # 5024

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to attempt to answer them.
Boris
Member # 6935

Yeah, you'll have to learn how to drink beer, eh. (Heh, I dated a girl from Canada who said Eh all the time. It was great).
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
hoser!!!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

quote:
Yeah, you'll have to learn how to drink beer, eh.
Um... I don't think I'll be drinking any beer. Not only is it against my beliefs but it's also kinda dumb to do.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrugs*

Nothing inherently dumb about drinking beer. Drinking too much beer, sure, but its perfectly simple to drink beer in moderation without ill effects, merely enjoying the taste. Don't assume something is dumb merely because of the examples of a few. For instance, imagine college students playing with whipped cream. One should not assume using whipped cream is dumb because college students do dumb things with it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu makes an excellent point. I've seen college students do dumb things with a blue-green laser and an electron microscope, strongly suggesting that it's not the things themselves which are to blame. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Those students are what we call "self correcting errors."

Alex, they're right. Drinking beer, in of itself, isn't a dumb thing to do if you like beer.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.