FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your favorite things

Author Topic: Your favorite things
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(or favourite, for those of you who spell it that way)

In a small group meeting I was in recently, we had the ice-breaker topic of "My Favorite Things". You know -- like Julie Andrews sings in The Sound of Music("brown paper packages tied up with ribbon...."_) Just small things that you really like or that make you happy.

So here is what I listed:
1) Relaxing in a hot tub/jacuzzi (with the jets on)
2) Sitting in a coffee shop alone drinking coffee and watching people.
3) Reading a good book.

Okay -- now your turn. List three things you would have in your "My Favorite Things" song...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Eating a good bowl of chili on a cold day.

Walking through autumn woods.

Dancing with my children.

All of which I've done in the last three days.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Walking in interesting places, whether they're woods, cities, ruins, junkyards, college campuses, etc.

2. Reading a good book

3. The sensation of drifting off to sleep, or drifting up toward consciousness on my own after a night of sleep.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hitting a inside straight on the river.

Drinking Scotch with old friends.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Ummm Scott -- your first one warms my soul just thinking about it.....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Waking up when your alarm would normally go off, a slight chill in the room as you curl up in your down comforter, and realize that it's a day off, and you can go right back to sleep.

The game is on, you just came home from fencing, need a shower fast, and realize it isn't a shaving day.

Rooting around in your closet and finding a pair of soft fleece pants you'd forgotten you had.

Your first board run on the first powder of the season.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

In that case, Speed,

Listening to John Coltrane could be #1 on your list.

Now list two others.

Farmgirl

WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Grasping a concept that you've struggled with for a long time.

Landing an Ax kick on somones shoulder (while sparring)

A bowl of ice cream with lots of sprinkles.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
A good book.

Sitting in front of a fire while a snowstorm rages outside.

A nice hot bubble bath.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to a sweet song
While reading a lovely book
and hearing or reading a warm comment from a friend.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
A good, long shower.

Cold, gray, windy days and wood smoke.

Going with my family to see the Houston symphony's production of Handel's Messiah.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Baking
Being suprised by something nice
Pink sweetheart roses
Walking in the woods in the fall
Spending time with my family

[ October 26, 2004, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Arthur ]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing the PNB perform "Carmina Burana"

Watching my little girl teach her little brother ballet

Discussing classic lit with my son

Chocolate

Watching my husband make supper, including dessert, while I sit on my butt at the computer

(edit for spelling)
(and capitalization)

[ October 26, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
1) When I'm lying next to Christy and we're both looking down at Sophie and she looks up at us with this enormous coy smile that suddenly turns into a body-shaking laugh of joy.

2) That feeling you get when you step outside on a sunny day in the middle of fall or spring, when it's cool and crisp -- ten to fifteen degrees cooler than inside the house -- and the leaves have all turned but haven't fallen yet or your tulips are opening up.

3) Hearing a really, really great song or reading a really, really great book for the first time.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Walking. Preferably in the countryside (i.e. not in a town or city), but not necessarily.

2. Reading a good book inside on a cold day with the wind bending the trees and the rain battering the window. Alone. With music on.

3. Being useful.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Reclining on the floor in my husband's arms in front of a roaring fire on a cold winter's day.

Snuggling a child warm from his/her bath.

The wind lifting your hair on a crisp autumn day

(Oh how I love this time of year!)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A nice big mug of Steven's hot cocoa. With cream. And English toffee herb tea.

Pulling bread out of the oven.

When your heart starts beating faster when you're in the middle of a really good book.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can say chocolate, I can say sex.

Synthesis of a western theory with an eastern principle.

Seeing a Lotus Europa.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*feels warm and fuzzy after reading this thread*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
If you can say chocolate, I can say sex.

Have we been watching Down With Love? [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Cuddling with my sweetheart
A purring kitten in my lap
Seeing beautiful flowers/plants

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
a fast horse back ride through a field with at least a friend or two trying to catch up.

a good piece of chocolate and a good book in my room with the blankets everywhere (it requires all of those at the same time)

My friends telling me I am good at something, or otherwise complimenting me in some way. Heck anyone doing those things. Or just spending time with my friends happily.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Snuggling close with Tom and/or Sophie (*mush* I love you, dearest)

That completely relaxed feel of just drifting off into sleep with a warm blanket tucked around your chin.

Baking apple or pumpkin pie and having your kitchen fill with that wonderful cinnamon-spice smell.

*laugh* Can you tell its Fall? A lot of people's responses are tending towards warmth and relaxation.

I also love walking in the woods underneath the changing leaves, but even more, I love seeing Sophie notice the colors for the first time. I love warm baths and tea and books and so many things. *also feels warm and fuzzy after reading this thread* *needed some warm and fuzzy since my poor Sophie is now on cold #4 of the season*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

It's not fall here. [Frown]

It's soooo hot!

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
1) A good debate-the kind in which neither side cares enough to get upset, when there's a fun topic and everyone feels free to be a little silly.

2) the moment when you figure out the step that was missing in something you were trying to make

3) curling up with a good book after being drenched in the rain

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That moment, shortly after you launch into a distinctive riff from a huge hit, when the audience gets it. The looks on their faces...

When you're performing a popular ballad at the end of the night, everyone is tired but they've stayed to watch you, and as you bring the song to a close you can hear a pin drop in the bar.

Witnessing beauty. Landscapes, people, music, books, movies. Whatever. Just beauty.

Snuggling. And other wholesome things.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting more than 2 hours of sleep.

Taking charge of a situation that I didn't want and doing better at it than the person who was supposed to do it to begin with.

Mountains

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
1. The first sun-shiney warm day in spring and the first cold, crisp and clear day of autumn.

2. A good cup of tea in the morning. Brought to me in bed. [Smile]

3. The smell of sun-warmed lemons.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Being with someone that makes me feel special and alive

2. Eating a wonderful meal

3. Listening to music that inspires a strong emotional reaction

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Walking around downtown Portland when it's just cold enough to wear a sweater, socks, comfy jeans and a sturdy pair of shoes.

Ducking into the old-fashioned city library in that same city on that same day to warm up or escape the rain.

Sitting between the stacks of that old city library in the music section, just browsing scores and singing in your head.

Eating the best mexican food EVER! at the Mayan Taqueria two blocks away from the library.

Heading over to Powell's (used book store) after eating mexican food and staying there until they kick me out.

Doing all of the above with my sister or one of those friends that's just comfortable to be around.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of fresh baked goods (unless it's coming from Pepperidge Farm down the street - Goldfishies stink when they're baking!!)

A big mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows

Curling up with my girls on the couch under blankets to watch a movie together

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Waking up next to Bernard after a long nap (I mean long... as in it's dark when we wake up)

Watching a really good anime/movie. With or without my friends.

Baking something for someone I love.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
That one thing.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Standing alone in a heavy snowfall and enjoying the quiet solitude.

Watching a child and a puppy play together.

The warm feeling you get when you let friends and loved ones know how much you cherish them.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Duct tape.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
1).Sundays - just relaxing and watching football game. Nothing better

2).The anticipation of something really fun. ex a trip, a party, a holiday

3).Waking up to an early phone call to tell me school is off because of snow. Then i go back to sleep and then i go play. [Big Grin]

[ October 27, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
1. My wife's laugh.
2. Cold, cold water from the well at my grandmother's house.
3. Standing outside on a quiet night as the snow falls while I'm smoking. I don't believe there is a more relaxing thing in the world than that for me.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Talking to dkw [Kiss]

2)The "perfect" pun that breaks tension in a meeting.

3) Coming home and being greeted by my dog.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Waking up when your alarm would normally go off, a slight chill in the room as you curl up in your down comforter, and realize that it's a day off, and you can go right back to sleep.
Oooh, good one, Mack!

-Staring out my open window in the fall, watching the stars go by. Ok, they're actually airplanes. I live too close to the airports and city to see actual stars.

-Washing and waxing my car. It makes me feel so relaxed.

-Driving in fully tuned car down a twisty mountain road at top speed with no one around, hearing the sweet rumble of the engine/exhaust and squealing tires being pushed to the limit.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have officially fallen in love with all of you, specifically because of your favorite things.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, that sounds like an almost perfect day. If I'm ever in Portland I'm going to look you up and try to get you to go and do that with me.

Something else to add to my favorite things, even though it bumps my number up to 4: Learning something fascinating and new.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Spending time with a significant other (or maybe It's the loneliness...)
2) Reading a good book
3) Cooking something nice for family, friends or significant other.

Close behind would follow (in no particular order):

- Playing RPG
- Watching a good movie
- Going to the beach
- Swimming

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, I was making a delivery this afternoon and I saw two girls in a car, dancing and singing along to the music on the radio.

It was just fun to watch them enjoy the music and their friendship.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The moment before your first kiss with someone, when you know it is going to happen, and everything just sort of melds together.

Watching my children spill off the bus, bringing their backpacks, coats, and bright, bright hearts.

Hearing someone is OK whom you thought might die.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
missed a couple

-a bowl of my chili
-the compliments from others who have my chili
-James acting all out of sorts because he didn't get to have any chili

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
~ Dancing with your lover when everyone else has left the floor but neither of you care.

~ Being in the rainforest when it...well, rains. And then huddling under a tree to try to stay dry until you realize it's hopeless, at which point you start tango-ing in the mud.

~ Coming home after a day at the beach when you're all sweaty and covered with itchy sand and then showering and hunkering down in bed with cleanclothes on and reading a book aloud to someone or having them read to you.

Mmyes.

[ October 29, 2004, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
These are a few of my favorite things....

Going back to bed at 9:00 in the morning and reading a Very Good Book until comfort and the sounds of the dog snoring puts you to sleep

The sound of my children's laughter. You know, that deep laughter that comes from the belly.

Hugs

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.