FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For those of you watching Electoral-Vote.com

Author Topic: For those of you watching Electoral-Vote.com
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed the strange behavior of the Zogby polls? Due to the methodology of the site and the increased activity of the pollster, Zogby polls dominate the map currently.

Early on I suspected Zogby of partisanship and manipulation because they seemed to consistently skew towards Kerry. Then I looked at the 2000 numbers and found the same trend, with their polls favoring Gore more than anyone else. Their polls, however, more closely reflected the outcome than any other pollster. I cut them some slack, but now I am not so sure.

They may have changed their methodolgy or something as their results now seem more erratic than anything. They still skew to the left in some states, most notably Colorado. However, their New Mexico, Ohio and Florida polls skew very far to the right. In Florida, the difference between Zogby and the mean of the other polls is outside the margin of error. I don't really know what's going on here, but it does make electoral-vote more interesting.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I commented on it on Ornery, but it's nice to see someone else noticing the same thing. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Personally, I think the polls are going to be very off this election cycle.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
One interesting note on polls this year.

Most polls are done over the telephone, limited to landlines.

More people this year than ever before have gotten away from landlines, and are using mobile phones as their only phone.

The result is that this segment of society is being entirely missed by the pollsters.

Democrats are hoping that those being missed are mostly poor or young or Tech-obsessed who all leaning to democratic.

Republican are hoping that young, poor, and tech-obsessive are not poeple who normally vote anyway, so it won't make much of a difference.

The Pollsters are quietly hoping that the randomness of the situation won't effect their margin of error.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I never been polled...

*pouts*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm holding my tongue, here.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It's not just that, Dan. I think both the Repubs and the Dems are very interested in seeing incorrect results in polls, both pertaining to themselves and for the other party.
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good point. I'm a swing-state voter who has no listed landline, for example.
Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been polled twice this election season, last month by the National Democratic Party, and last week by Reuters.

Plus some guy going door-to-door pretending to take a poll, but not even pretending to be unbiased.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Studies have been conducted of those who use only mobile phones. They found these people were generally young, many were students, and among those registered to vote, they 50% favored Kerry while only 30% favored Bush.

That said, I'm not seeing the polls as terribly reliable right now. When they disagree with each other way outside the stated margin of error, something is definately wrong.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never been polled...

*pouts*

Where is that Out of Context thread.

Farmgirl, I feel so sorry for you.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a resident of Wisconsin, I've had four phone polls, two postal polls, three E-mails, and three door-to-door polls. So far. *shudder*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Skew"... from what? Are you privy to the actual results?

We are mainly on cell phone, and not likely to vote Kerry. Though in general, I've expressed before that young people are more inclined to be democrats.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the cell phone/land line bias is very interesting. I wonder if it is enough of a difference to spoil samples?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
First, Wisconsin has now switched to the Kerry column. Kerry is now ahead 48% to 46% in one of the swingingest of the swing states.
You're such a swinger, Tom D!

[Wink] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You saw my reply to Leonide's bodice post, didn't you? [Angst]
Chaeron
Member # 744

Pooka, I meant relative to the mean numbers from all the pollsters.

If you look at the per polster data on Electoral-Vote, it will be pretty clear what I mean. Zogby isn't the only one that has a noticable bent towards one candidate. Strategic Vision is openly partisan, and its polls reflect that. They are probably the most heavily and consistently skewed, always to the right, and very frequently they disagree with the mean by greater than the stated margin of error. Gallup also tends to lean right, but mostly within the margin of error. This could be the result of different methodology or just random chance.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having a phone, I don't get those calls. (Also in Wisconsin). My mother, on the other hand, has a riot with the poor survey people. This is truth: She supports Bush, Feingold, and owns a handgun. There are few people who can figure that out, and none of them work for the polling companies. She spent half an hour on the phone with one guy listening to him saying "I don't get it!" and not explaining anything. Another time last week, she spent at least fifteen minutes with one of those polls where they ask how strongly you feel about an issue. When she wasn't answering "Oh, I feel very strongly," she was asking what her options were.

I love my mother.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
What good is a strictly partisan poll. I guess if you're trying to decide how many voters are going across party lines then maybe it would be interesting. But in general what good is a poll that isn't done accurately?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Poll results can affect the decisions of voters, usually by helping the person perceived to be ahead.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
My Government teacher said that Zogby uses cell phone numbers as well as land line numbers, and that is why his results are different.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to work for a polling company...

(this is completely random, just me coming to a realization)

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, I love statistics.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I get polled all the time but mostly for useless things like local measures. They prolly keep calling me becuase they know I'll give them my opinion. (though you'd think they'd get bored of my lectures by now.)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
4 out of 5 dentists agree with statistics.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

They actually used that exact Electoral-Vote.com map on the Front Page of our local paper today....

FG

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to write the polls. I think trying to make completely unbiased poll questions would be really fun.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Adrianna Whats-her-name is starting a campaign to get people to stop talking to pollsters. I just caught the tail end of a bit on NPR, she was saying if enough people stop talking to them to get the response rates in the single digets everyone will have to acknowledge that the polls are worthless. I don't remember why in particular she thought this would be a good thing, but I'm sure someone who's more curious than I am right now will find the website and let us all know. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

The polls in Hawaii, New Mexico and Colorado I suspect are complete garbage.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been polled by a legitimate political polling company. I was polled by some left wing group with very biased questions once...but never by a non partisan group. I have also gotten polls from companies and such about different products...some of those are balanced...and sometime you can tell that they are trying to skew answers a certain way

[ October 27, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.