FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Mind Reading Website??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Mind Reading Website???
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp.html

Check it out, its really cool...
(Ps, if you figure it out, please don't ruin it for anyone else... not for a while anyway)

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive seen something like this before, so I think I know how it works, but it is really cool.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*

I love the explanations people came up with for how it works.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't figure it out (though I didn't try that hard), but my gf Niki (valentine014) did in like 2 seconds flat.

Pretty cool.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so cheesy.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this esp trick will not work as well against hard core poker players.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured it out a few years back. I wondered if it could handle two at once, and so my sister picked a card as well. It didn't take us long to figure it out after that.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this esp trick will not work well against anyone observant. Or indecisive.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Yeah, I figured it out as soon as I started looking at two cards instead of one... on my third try [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
:::biting my tongue cause I know the trick:::
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
IF you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be correct.

Of course, years of studying and running psych experiments helped too (edit: they make you paranoid and, strangely enough, give you the munchies). I got it on the third try.

Anyone else think that at least some of the comments are planted?

[ October 27, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Heck I think most of the "comments" and "explanations" on the site, are in fact written by the author of the site. If you read them you'll find that the word usage and speech patterns of them are very similar... and not characteristic of the typical internet post, or e-mail.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that had me going. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't I post this a few years back?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine sent me a site with an identical premise years ago. I figured out the trick on my second try. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Silliness.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... that was weird. It was after reading some of the comments here that I looked again and figured it out. (After trying the "pick two cards" thing.) I guess I am not very observant. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went back and forth a couple times. It's sneaky. Really nothing more than a psychological trick. But yeah, I figured it out pretty quick.
:also bites tongue:

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
unh, ohrus, ads eye ung!!!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
figured it on first try, but that was because I had seen this before. Can't blame him...he's right. No matter what card you pick he picked it out of the line up. I just hope nobody was stupid enuogh to bet money on it.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Figured it out in 2 seconds.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am proud to say that after one try and about 6 seconds of thinking, I figured it out. It's kind of a let down once you figure it out. I was hoping it was something kind of cool.

Are all those explanations from real people? That cracks me up. [Laugh]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen this before, and I'm not normally good at this sort of thing, but I got this one right off the bat. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
unh, ohrus, ads eye ung!!!!!
hum ohhn. I uhs iting eihh owwh ung!!!
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of these things that if you don't figure them out immediately, you feel very very stupid after you finally do. [Razz]

In my defence, most of the bad marks in my math classes resulted from the fact that I failed to see a + or - sign in the tests, or missed a number, and then spent *hours* trying to figure out what exactly I did wrong.

I just don't pay attention to details [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, rilly?

I'll have to remember that . . . [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If you didn't get it the first time, don't worry about it. Not everyone is well suited for this kind of thing.

edited to add: Not really a post about your power of observation Kama. It was just a good excuse for a bad pun. [Smile]

[ October 28, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it didn't take me *long*. But definitely not 2 seconds.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I figured it out. Funny.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Took two tries. So I'm a little slow. [Razz]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Figured it out.

FYI, it's not one hundred percent, which means there's some randomness to it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't geeeeet it! I'm stoopid. [Frown]

And Xav... where is Val? I haven't seen her around in a long time, and I miss her!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

****************SPOILERS************

The cards on the second screen are not the cards on the first screen.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia...don't feel bad. It took me a second or two, or three.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is where I find having a decent memory makes things less exciting. [Frown] The first time I saw this, ages ago, I took one look at the cards on the second screen and thought to myself, "Well, duh! Of course not! None of them are the same. Where's the trick?"

It actually took me a second to realize that you weren't intended to realize that. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
OH! I GET IT! I got it on the fourth or fifth time, hehe... that's pretty cool! [Smile]

And no, I didn't look at the spoilers, I got it all by me onesy!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

The trick works because people want to believe in magic.

Pretty delightful trick, in my opinion-- I'm glad I got snookered by it. I'm also glad I figured it out.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What I think is funny, when you read the mail, are the people who post that the trick didn't work and the card they picked was displayed. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I think it probably randomly doesn't switch out the cards every once in a while... that or those people are lying/deluded [Big Grin]
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cliff,

I tried three times and you missed twice. Better luck next time.

Bill

[ROFL]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
and

quote:
Dear Cliff, I'm curious about your ESP test. I was somehow able to guess which card was going to disappear from my screen, but I couldn't correctly guess which ones would remain. No matter what I tried. Where can I find an explanation for this??? Thanks. James.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to be told... [Blushing]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

okay, Boris, so who WAS biting my tongue????? [Taunt]
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to deceive people with a trick like this, you need to go beyond just pulling the trick. Setting the stage is very important. Thus, claiming that it is only 98% effective and having "reponses" claiming that they beat it are brilliant bits of setup. I really doubt that it ever doesn't work. They're just there to misdirect people away from the trick.

Geez, none of you are allowed to run cons with me anymore.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite clever. Took me two goes before the penny dropped.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
The ESP experiment "worked", i.e. the web site appeared to correctly determine the playing card I selected. Knowing that you have written a book on time travel, I suspect that the original tarot card selection is a ruse, and that I in fact randomly selected a playing card, a selection that you had 5/6 probability of guessing wrong. In other words, you have discovered a limited (but real) mechanism of modifying past events .
My suspicion is that "originally" the experiment failed, but with each subsequent failure you were able to modify my previous experiences until, after a few iterations, you were successful.

Can you modify "physical" past events, or is your method restricted to thoughts and perceptions?

[ROFL]

That can't be a serious response.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I sent him my explanation.

Wonder if he'll post it?

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
It took me two or three tries. Then I stopped and looked at all the cards and thought to myself, "Aw, dammit, none of these are on here."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I really want to know if those comments are all real. When I first saw this years ago, it took me about 2 seconds to find the non-esp explanation. It would be too bizarre if someone could really write a program that would convert people to a belief system.

The people who think it's gotten it wrong occasionally, or who guess two cards and are even more impressed when they don't see either of them, are funny. The people who've thought in depth about it and still ended up believing have some kind of pyschological need to believe.

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Took me two goes before the penny dropped.
[Confused] Could you say that in English, please?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.