FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quick Halloween Questions

Author Topic: Quick Halloween Questions
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just a little curious about the falloween (ha, get it... ok, it was lame).

1. Do you celebrate Halloween now, or did you as a child?

If no to either of the above, you don't NEED to go on, but feel free to read the questions, and if you'd like to add, go ahead.

2. Did/do you favor the scary halloween costumes, or the creative dress as you will costumes?

3. How much candy would you average pulling in going trick or treating?

4. If you were to go trick or treating, now or as a kid, and it rained, would you call off trick or treating to stay warm?

5. What age did you stop trick or treating? If answerable, what age did you stop celebrating Halloween?

6. Are toothbrushes and fruit appropriate Halloween treats?

7. Decorating the house- did your family do it? Do you do it now?

8. When would you usually stop trick or treating? As a side note, did you run house to house, walk, or ride in a car?

9. You are tired, you want to go to bed, there is still candy left over. Do you put all of it on the porch? Do you include a sign saying "One only please?" Or do you hoard all of it for yourself?

10. If you saw candy on the porch with the same sign from 9 by it, would you just pour all of it in your bag, or take only one?

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
1. No/Yes
2. I would've liked to have gone with one of the "scary" ones from the store. no money.
3. a couple pillow cases
4. call it off?!? F-oops no (besides halloween in MI can be kinda cold)
5. 20 - I joined the navy and have since worked every halloween since. [Grumble]
6. no
7. in Detroit...yes. In Linden...no, but then if you walked up our driveway to get candy you must have been desperate to begin with. I hated that long walk to the bus.
8. run. no sissy car rides
9. hoard it (especially snickers)
10. depends on the type of candy. if it were Reisens or butterscotch discs...yes.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Do you celebrate Halloween now, or did you as a child? Yep, to both.

2. Did/do you favor the scary halloween costumes, or the creative dress as you will costumes? Creative dress. So much more fun to be Medusa or have a mommy-made costume than the ol' witch or ghost.

3. How much candy would you average pulling in going trick or treating? A small bag. Like, a quarter of a pillow case to a third (on a good year).

4. If you were to go trick or treating, now or as a kid, and it rained, would you call off trick or treating to stay warm? We always went anyway, but we got less candy since our parents wanted to go home.

5. What age did you stop trick or treating? If answerable, what age did you stop celebrating Halloween? I stopped at about grade ten (I had a really cool costume and HAD to use it). When I started university, we went about the dorms, and now I get involved in the canned-good trick or treating.

6. Are toothbrushes and fruit appropriate Halloween treats? Not really. Especially since my parents always threw out the fruit anyway.

7. Decorating the house- did your family do it? Do you do it now? We have a pumpkin, if someone remembers in time. Once we made cardboard gravestones, I think.

8. When would you usually stop trick or treating? As a side note, did you run house to house, walk, or ride in a car? Whenever our parents got tired, or around 830-9 in later years. We walked house-to-house.

9. You are tired, you want to go to bed, there is still candy left over. Do you put all of it on the porch? Do you include a sign saying "One only please?" Or do you hoard all of it for yourself? It was generally shared out between the kids at home. Or put in our lunches for school by mom. Now we hoard.

10. If you saw candy on the porch with the same sign from 9 by it, would you just pour all of it in your bag, or take only one? I'll admit, I'd probably take two or three. But not the whole bowl.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No to both, although I do keep a little candy around in case trick-or-treaters show up.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I did as a kid, but I never really had fun, so I don't really do it anymore. Most of my friends are huge Halloween people though, so the past couple years resulted in me getting dragged to parties.

2) neither. I was the kid that just wanted to put on the plastic firehat (bare minimum) to get candy.

3) It depended on the weather. If it was good weather, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 grocery paper bag full?

4) Yes and no. I probably would have still gone out, but our city usually postpones it a day, if its really bad out.

5) I probably stopped trick-or-treating at around 10. I still wanted to go then, but my parents were paranoid, because of the whole razor blade/unwrapped candy/syringe... scare. I think after that, it kinda lost all the fun.

6) NO! NO, NO, NO! The parents love this, but seriously, kids could care less. Some get kinda mad when they get stuff like that. Oh, and don't give out pennies either. those get thrown back at the house (not that I did this, btw).

7) I think we did pumkins and my mom probably put an autumn wreath in the front door. None of the ghosts or monsters or anything. My mom's kinda squimish about that. My old roommate though was a huge Halloween person and she used to go out after Halloween to buy all the decorations on sale. We had so much stuff up, it was crazy.

8) Younger kids stop when "it's too dark out" or when their parents get tired of walking around. Olderkids go until people stop giving out candy. We mostly walked, but sometimes get a ride to another neighborhood.

9) Only if you or your kids don't want it. I don't recommend the sign, because A: nobody listens to that rule, and B: you're trying to get rid of the candy anyways, so it doesn't matter who takes it, as long as they take it, right? Also, if you do this, use a container/bowl/bag that is disposible or something you wouldn't mind losing. Chances are, you'll lose it or have it broken if it's something nice.

10) I wouldn't take all, but I'd probably grab a handful or pick out some of "the good ones".

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 

We did Halloween practically every year, except once when I was eight when it fell on a Sunday.

2. Did/do you favor the scary halloween costumes, or the creative dress as you will costumes?

There's a family picture of me as a four-year-old clown. Others have included an angel, a hippie, a dime-store witch (in that I insisted on having the grocery-store brand hat and black cloak thing--stupid little kid), the pink Power Ranger, Jasmine from Aladin, a mime-gone-wrong (for some reason I couldn't look like anything better than Maralin Manson), and Daria. Some are scary in their memories, but I don't think I ever set out to be frightening.

I'd always bring my trusty pillowcase, and my candy would always cover the bottom, but not much more. I guess I burned out after a while. I always had high aspirations of filling it all the way to the top.

4. If you were to go trick or treating, now or as a kid, and it rained, would you call off trick or treating to stay warm?

Hmmm....trick question. Some houses would give up if it rained and turn their lights off. I suppose I'd go either way.

5. What age did you stop trick or treating? If answerable, what age did you stop celebrating Halloween?

I suppose I stopped trick-or-treating when our ward came up with the trunk-or-treat activity. The first one was when I was fourteen, and since my mom was primary president I was recruited to help with a few games in the gym due to the rain.

NO!!! Seriously. I'd never egg someone's house for giving pencils or toothbrushes, except mentally.

We really didn't, except for the one or two obligatory jack-o-lanterns. One year I decided to be ambitious and make a scarecrow with a pumpkin head, but that's about it.

8. When would you usually stop trick or treating? As a side note, did you run house to house, walk, or ride in a car?

I remember living in a chino suburb where we'd run around the neighborhood. We moved to Arkansas when I was eight, and it was all car-riding from there. It was just too rural.

9. You are tired, you want to go to bed, there is still candy left over. Do you put all of it on the porch? Do you include a sign saying "One only please?" Or do you hoard all of it for yourself?

This happened practically every year--we didn't get too many visitors to our house. We just add it to the pile we collected.

10. If you saw candy on the porch with the same sign from 9 by it, would you just pour all of it in your bag, or take only one?

Surprisingly, this never happened to me that I remember. I'd probably be a polite kid and just take one extra. Two extra if it were chocolate.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Yey Halloween!

I never went for scary. I was a witch most years, but not a particularly frightening one.

It would fill about two layers worth of candy in a 9 by 11 casserole dish.

Never call off trick or treating! Go with an umbrella and warm clothes under the costume!

I think I stopped after I was 13. I did go trick or treating my sophomore year of college, though. Not that many houses.

Definitely not. We gave away whole candy bars or money ($1?) because we had so few trick or treaters (under a dozen)

No decorating. I always wanted to. I'm doing a little this year.

We walked, my mom and I. I was never allowed to go alone, though I think I went with a friend once.

We used to split the leftover candy bars.

I'd only take one. I'm a goody two-shoes.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I did celebrate hallowe'en as a child (ages 0-9) but not in the trcik-or-treating sense. There was never much of that in England, or the dressing up.

However, we did have a pumpkin, carved on the kitchen table and scooped out with a spoon. My brother never liked to touch the insides. We also organised games in the dark outside.

I knew about trick-or-treating from an American book we had, but never tried it until we moved.

(Guy Fawkes night much more exciting!)

After we moved (ages 10-12) I went trick-or-treating but I was always shy and by about aged twelve I felt way too old to be standing at people's doors begging for Candy (by aged Twelve I was almost as tall as I was going to get). Since then, I attended parties and opened the door to people way older than myself still out for candy. I'm a culprit of being the kind of person who gives hardly anything to teenagers.

I now kind of celebrate it. I plan to make a pumpkin with my friends, but I have no costume and no means of finding one. There are parties, but I don't really like hallowe'en- if you miss out on it as a child you tend to not be attached to it.

2. N/a

3. I've never been a witch or anything like that. The closest to bloody massacre I've been was a French Revolutionary. Others include: A sprite and Anne of Green Gables. If I had a costume this year I'd be Lily Evans-Potter, Harry Potter's mother. (I'm a dork)

(I'm editing, so I've lost the numbers but...)

I know my sisters usually have two costumes; 1 for the warm (witch, fairy, princess) and the other for the trick or treating (various furry animals) If it rains or snows, they just go with umbrellas or wait. They always walk.

[ October 28, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 

--I do and I did.

--Let's see... I was a princess one year, a Hershey Kiss another, a poor college student for three... yeah, I guess the dress as you will.

--As a kid, maybe a quarter of a pillow case full. Going through the dorm after the kids left, at least a full paper bag.

--Go out! Both then and now.

--I went last year around the dorm, "helping" people get rid of their leftover candy... I want to go this year out in the rich neighborhoods where the football coaches live. I hear they give out king-size candy bars [Smile]

--Properly wrapped/washed, sure. Mmm... apples.

--Nothing more than a couple carved pumpkins. My roommate put up some of those window clings, but I think they look ridiculous. I don't even want to know what she's planning for Christmas...

--I'd stop when most of the lights on the street were out. And I walked. All over the neighborhood.

--Hoard! Or bring it to work the next day. I work in a graduate department office, and they love candy.

--Take a handful. Gotta spread the wealth, man!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Do you celebrate Halloween now, or did you as a child?yes to both - I love Halloween!

2. Did/do you favor the scary halloween costumes, or the creative dress as you will costumes? Depends from year to year

3. How much candy would you average pulling in going trick or treating? When we hit the good neighborhoods we could get 2 or 3 pillowcases full

4. If you were to go trick or treating, now or as a kid, and it rained, would you call off trick or treating to stay warm? Never

5. What age did you stop trick or treating? If answerable, what age did you stop celebrating Halloween? I'm 28 and I'm taking my 17 month old this year

6. Are toothbrushes and fruit appropriate Halloween treats? Not unless your the tooth fairy

7. Decorating the house- did your family do it? Do you do it now? yes to both

8. When would you usually stop trick or treating? As a side note, did you run house to house, walk, or ride in a car? 11 PM it ends here - we walked then took the car

9. You are tired, you want to go to bed, there is still candy left over. Do you put all of it on the porch? Do you include a sign saying "One only please?" Or do you hoard all of it for yourself? we use it in lunches, but there usually isn't much left over (especially the years I handed out full sized candy bars)

10. If you saw candy on the porch with the same sign from 9 by it, would you just pour all of it in your bag, or take only one? No one does that here - although my neighbor tried it last year the first child took all the candy plus their silver bowl, and some decorations - little brat!

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course/yes

The creative costumes. Scary costumes are so cliche.

Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a pillowcase

Rain?! We were usually 2 feet deep in snow by Halloween. Didn't stop me.

5. What age did you stop trick or treating?
About 13.

Crap, no. Especially not fruit.

No/no, although we always talked about doing it.

As late as porch lights were still on and candy was available. I walked everywhere. Good mission training. [Smile]

Put it outside? Yeah right.

Depends on what the candy is. Peanut butter cups? In they all go. Taffy? One, please.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 

Not really (though when Annie takes control of my life I will [Big Grin] ), and yes.

Costumes are obviously supposed to be scary. Imagine if you were assigned to build a bridge, if you built a truss, steel bridge no one would be impressed, but hey, it get's you from one side to the other. If you built a bueatiful Main-Stay cable bridge, then that's a work of art. If you built a gigantic and marvolous museum, kudos to you, but I still can't cross the darn water.

Be creative, but remember, end goal is scary!

15 pounds.

Ha!

Probably around 13, maybe as late as 15, I don't much remember. Trick or treating was my way of celebrating, I guess I would occasionaly help my parents give out candy after that, not really much of a celebration...

I did go to Celia's house last year and we had some mighty fine cooking and pumpkin carving, that was very nice. [Cool]

Of course it's all right, you know, so long as you don't mind rotting forever in the bowels of a firey Hell.

We'd put up some pumpkins and put some stickers in the window, kind of crap but I guess you could call it decorating if you wanted.

9:00, 10:00pm maybe, basically when most of the houses turned their lights off.

And anything other than walking is for sissys.

Bah, you just turn out the light and go to bed, you paid for the candy didn't you?

Somewhere in between? Depends on if I thought there would actually be anyone else coming (we didn't live in a heavily kidded area [Wink] ).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
1. No/No

Except maybe at school.

We live far enough out in the country, and really have no close neighbors, and we have not had a trick-or-treater come to our house in over 35 years.

(Although I'm wondering about that new family that moved in about a mile or so away recently -- maybe I should have some candy ready just in case)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the absolute best prank to pull would be get a whole bunch of people together to go "reverse" trick-or-treating where you walk to people's houses and give them candy. Just make sure their houses are structurally sound before you do it! [Evil]

[EDIT: great prank in the sense of not really being a prank, but surprising and fun [Smile] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 28, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 

I don't necessarily do stuff for Halloween as an adult, but I sometimes do. It varies from year to year

Well, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but my costumes were always fairly creative, and only occasionally scary. They were always homemade though, and making them was almost always at least as much fun as wearing them was, if not more. My Halloween costumes got worn throughout the year though, as I played various games, put on plays, etc.

Half a brown paper sack or so. Maybe 2/3 of a sack on a good year.

Oh, hell no. I'd trick-or-treat regardless of the weather. Halloween was one of the two biggest holidays for me as a child (the other being 4th of July), and there's no way I'd have let a little rain get in its way. It sucked one year when my paper mache medusa mask kind of melted in the rain though.

I stopped trick or treating in junior high, at either 14 or 15. I felt like I was too old to keep on doing it, and that the people whose houses I was visiting seemed a little resentful of giving candy to someone my age. I kept on dressing up though--just switched to having Halloween parties. The last time I put on a full fledged costume was Halloween of 1996, when 3 of my friends and I hosted a Halloween party at the house we were sharing, and dressed as KISS. I've posted a picture of it before; I'll see if I can turn up a link to it.

Toothbrushes? No. You can't eat a toothbrush. Fruit is fine; I probably like fruit better than I like candy. I grew up in a rural community, so I pretty much knew everyone I trick or treated. Worrying about food tampering never entered my parents mind, or mine for that matter. That's kind of surprising, actually, given what a paranoid child I was.

Just jackolanterns. I'll carve a pumpkin if I think of it now, and if I'm having a party of course I'll put up halloween decorations, but other than that no. Now that I own a house though I'm thinking about starting to decorate for Halloween, but that's mostly because I think that making the decorations would be fun, and I'd feel kind of silly making them if I didn't put them up.

When I'd hit everybody who lived out where I did. There weren't that many of them, but they were pretty spread out, so it took quite a while. I'd usually finish up at about 10 or 10:30. I'd walk; my costumes were usually too elaborate to run in, and who'd want to ride in the back of their parents warm safe car when they could have the adventure of walking along deserted country roads, imagining all the ghosts, zombies, vampires and werewolves that were undoubtedly lurking in the nearby woods, hoping to catch a kid or two to feast on.

Put it on the porch? Who does that? I've never seen that. Nope, if I still have candy left over after the trick or treaters have quit coming (I don't think I've ever gone to bed while there were still kids coming to the door), it's mine. Well, and Christine's. She likes candy more than I do, so I usually let her have most of it.

It wouldn't even occur to me to take more than one, if that's what the sign said. I was a pretty polite, well behaved kid in many respects.

[ October 28, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the absolute best prank to pull would be get a whole bunch of people together to go "reverse" trick-or-treating where you walk to people's houses and give them candy. Just make sure their houses
When I was a teenager, Hobbes, a group of friends and I would pool our money, go to a local grocery store that always carried what seemed to us to be weird produce, and buy sackloads of it. We'd then go around town leaving it on people's doorsteps. We thought this was hilarious.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 

Yes, and yes.

I never liked scary stuff as a kid, and my kids cannot wear scary costumes - we have a church carnival on Halloween and scary costumes are not allowed. I like creative and fun stuff better anyway.

Not sure. More than I needed, certainly.

I remember trick or treating in the rain as a kid. Now, I'd probably try to discourage my kids from going out in the rain, but I'd wind up going along with them carrying an unbrella.

I stopped around junior high I guess.

No. [Smile]

My family occasionally did jack o lanterns. I have decorated the house for the first time this year - we have two jack o lanterns on the porce along with fake spider webs and a huge black fuzzy spider on the door. And that is because my Mom lives with us now and she thought it would be fun. Left up to me alone, i wouldn't have decorated.

I walked as a kid. My kids walk, because we only go through our own subdivision. I would quit around nine or so I guess. My kids quite earlier than that because we start earlier.

I turn off my porch light and go to bed. My kids can divvy up whatever candy is left over. If we leave to go to the church or soemthing, I do leave some on the porch while we're gone.

I would take only one, and in my experience when I've set out candy on my porch, no one has ever taken the whole lot. I've never come home to find the bowl empty.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.