FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When Sparks Fly....

Author Topic: When Sparks Fly....
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man says live wire in bath was to save marriage

LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (AP) -- A man who said he threw a live electrical wire into his wife's bath hoping a near-death experience would save their marriage was convicted of attempted first-degree intentional homicide Wednesday.

William Dahlby said in court he was only trying to scare his wife the evening of May 9. He told jurors the wire was hooked to a "ground fault interrupter" designed to cut the electricity when the cord encountered water. His wife was not hurt.

Prosecutors said Dahlby was trying to kill his wife to start a new life with another woman.

Dahlby's wife, Mary, testified Tuesday her husband drew her bath after they spent the day taking a walk and a long motorcycle ride.

While she took her bath, her husband came into the bathroom and dropped the cord into the bath, she said.

She jumped out of the bath, but her husband tried to push her back in the tub, Mary Dahlby said. She got free and ran out of the bathroom.

CNN

That'll teach you women folk to complain about husbands not being "romantic" enough. [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is why I would save all my attempts at marriage therapy for April 1st, so I'd at least have a fall-back lie.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It has more sylalables in it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Shocking, just shocking.

(Someone had to say it.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, given the seriousness of the topic, I have to say that I find your comment revolting.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Watt are you guys talking about.

Oh, i see the link now

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I didn't mean to brush you off there Dan; its just that the pun didn't match the current tone of the thread very well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohm my goodness. That is electrifying.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand. I need to be more serious. So, apparently it is a crime to try and juice up ones love life.

Good thing it was a live wire and not a storage device.

He'd have been charged with Assault and Battery.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm still upset about this. I'm considering blowing the whistle on Dan's post, but I don't want to over-react. Maybe I should wait a little while to see if I still feel this way after the initial heat of my anger has worn off.

Yes, I'll wait. To be fair, a day.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I wonder what I should do to try to calm down. Hmmm...maybe I'll try meditation.

::assumes lotus position::

::arranges hands in a complex looking mudra::

Ohm

Ohmmmmmmmmmmm

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She jumped out of the bath, but her husband tried to push her back in the tub, Mary Dahlby said.
I guess he just couldn't resistor.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, coul ohm's!
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

If she had died do you think he would have sold her joules?
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it was a transformative experience. Currently, though, I'm sensing some resistance to the idea. In fact, the way this guy's been conducting himself leaves something to be desired. You guys think he's stretching his credibility to the max? Well?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

There is no way this guy was trying to kill his wife. The way I hear it, he loved her cooking, especially her breakfasts, far to much to ever want to do her in. He was particularly fond of her oatmeal; she'd flavor it with a secret blend of spices that he found irresistable. For some reason, though, she refused to ever serve it for any meal other than breakfast (not that he didn't try to talk her into making it for him in the afternoon--it's just that she put her foot down). No, even if he'd disliked her, he'd never have tried to get rid of her, due to her AM porridge.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Such a long post for suck a small pay-off.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

Volta you talking about? Ampere I thought brevity was the soul of wit! [Big Grin]
vwiggin
Member # 926

Well, AM porridge is one way to jump start your morning.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Wire you guys arguing about this?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Besides, a whole battery of tests indicated that he wasn't the type to resort to murder. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a false charge.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I like when we use the puns to kind of tell an extended story over a number of posts this way. Its almost as though the thread has something of a story arc.
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that this is a false charge.
Anion positive it isn't.

[Edit] Way to circuitvent my post!

[ October 28, 2004, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Defenestraitor ]

vwiggin
Member # 926

And the moral of this story is: Don't try killing your wife unless you're willing to endure-a-cell.
solo
Member # 3148

I think that he didn't like the way she was going to volt in the upcoming electron.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Personally, I think he was just trying to energize her.

It is true, though, that I'd heard him complain about her figure. He preferred women with very small busts; she was at least a C cup, and I know he preferred AAs.

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

The Pope is taking his side, and as we all know, there's nothing like Cathodic protection.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Anoder pun thread! I gauss my capacitance for tolerating these stupid jokes is running a bit low.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You should all put your excellence with puns into Punorama
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering at wattage this type of stunt stops.

Perhaps he needs help to fight the urge to do stupid things like this in the future. I'd suggest he talk to his mother's sisters cause it sounds like he needs resist aunts.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If he had succeeded, he would have read the wonderful poem he wrote for her - the Die Ode.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't there any original methods of murdering one's wife?

(updated link to news story)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the man, by any chance, work as a conductor?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] King of Men
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This looked like another announcement thread.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they need to Induct this guy into the Stupid Criminal's hall of fame. He needs to learn to rectify his actions and regulate his feelings. (Only serious electronics geeks need understand my puns)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah - as stupid criminality goes, this is only a low pass.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.