FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Have the Sox now lost their identity?

Author Topic: Have the Sox now lost their identity?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.

The Cards choked.

And as a St. Louis person, I feel let down.

Still, while the victory is great for the people of Boston, I have to wonder if defeat would have been better.

Their identity for so long have been that of the underdog, cursed and long faithful. They were the myth and the magic of baseball. Theres was a divine fate to loose, and now that divinity is gone.

What has become of Susanne Lucci after she got her Emmy?

What became of the Jamaican Bobsled team?

What will become of the Boston Red Sox?

They are all still there, all still working hard and meeting failures and successes. Yet the magic is gone, the story is over.

What happens when you don't win next year (or the year after)? You can't blame the curse. You become just like the rest of us, average, common fans.

Celebrate with grand passion today my Boston friends, but realize that you no longer are as special as you were a month ago, or a year ago, or a Decade ago.

The curse is gone, and that might not be as great a thing as you are thinking.

ps. Great games!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They will be the next Yankees.

I've decided to get a head start and start hating them now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

How true.

Maybe they could get Derek Jeter to pronounce a new curse.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good summation of I think most of our feelings over here (or at least my feelings), in a game diary format. This same writer had a whole article on this, but I think you need to pay to read his archives.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041028

-Bok

EDIT: Plus, we always have Chicago to kick around (BOTH teams haven't won the world series for even longer than the Red Sox!)

[ October 28, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They are just another franchise now. *sigh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lefty the One-armed Man
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for Lefty the One-armed Man           Edit/Delete Post 
No! It can't be over!

Wait, I know! They can ship Curt Shilling off to the Yankees. Start a new curse. Just you look out for the 2090 Red Sox!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan:

I had the same evil thought as well. I mean, it's not like they're some plucky, small market team that you are surpised every time they have a successful year. They have one of the highest payrolls in the league.

-- However --

They are a perfect foil for the Yankees (and vice versa). So that alone gives them lasting relevance. I'm a West Coast guy, but even I like to see the Sox and the Yankees play each other.

I'd prefer a Giants - Dodgers battle (assuming the Giants win, of course), but if that doesn't happen, Yankees-Red Sox is pretty entertaining.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad the series was over in 4 games. It's not like I don't have homework to do. Now at least I can concentrate on it. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Patriots.

The Celtics.

Boston fans will be fine with victory, even Sox fans.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is always the Bruins.... [Evil]

Go RED WINGS!

[ October 28, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
EDIT: Plus, we always have Chicago to kick around (BOTH teams haven't won the world series for even longer than the Red Sox!)
Therefore I predict the Cubs will win next year.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
We (true Cubs fans) were devastated when they did so well two years ago and then didn't make it to the series.

NEXT YEAR WILL BE OUR YEAR!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Cubs vs. White Sox in the 2005 World Series... Game 7, 18 innings, tied 0-0. <g>
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go RED WINGS!

I will drink to that. Bottoms up!
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, you and I will get tickets and sit right next to each other.

I would have a hard time at that game. I've always rooted for both teams and I would be happy at something that would bring Chicago some pride (since they haven't had anything to really be proud of since the Bulls)...but I would end up rooting for the Cubs. I'm a Cubbies fan for sure.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
There won't be any Red Wings or Bruins. Lockout! Which is really disappointing because this was the year the Panthers were going to win. Luongo, Bouwmeister (or however you spell his name), Horton, Jokinen, and others were ready to step up and win some games.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, I lived in Utica MI for most of my life, until 1988. I am a big Red Wings fan, and always have been since I discovered hockey as a teen...about 1984.

Joe Louis Arena is so cool, a great place to watch a game!

Go Red Wings!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend who had tickets to Game Five... Yup, a Cardinals fan.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/chitribt s/20041029/ts_chicagotrib/bostondrinksdeeplyfromcupofvictory&e=5

quote:
Everyone who was here will remember Boston on what forever may be dubbed "the day after." Overnight, the billboards that had read "Keep the Faith" had been changed to "Thank you." The line for commemorative baseball caps at the souvenir shop outside Fenway was two hours long. Signs in windows that had said "We believe" were gone, replaced by ones that exalted, "The curse is broken." And a statement that no one ever thought would be uttered within Beantown's borders was being said with some frequency: "Maybe we can finally forgive the Yankees."
I expect lots of tearful hugs at Bob and dkw's wedding. "Yes, plaid," the Sox fans will say to me, "all is forgiven." [Razz]

[ October 29, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid:

Not.

Ha ha.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Never.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeesh. Y'all finally win a World Series, and this is your attitude? Alas, all those years without winning have turned your hearts bitter. Sad, really... [Razz]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.