FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » friends don't let friends screw up their network

Author Topic: friends don't let friends screw up their network
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I had a friend over to watch the game. She brought her laptop because I have a wireless network.

She couldn't get the card to connect properly.

So, she calls another friend to talk her through it.

Within ten minutes, they'd entirely screwed up my network.

And hadn't asked me if they could touch my base station and DSL modem.

I didn't get it to work entirely until 30 minutes ago.

I completely lost my temper last night when it happened. The sox win the world series and I want to talk to all my friends and read and post and whatever and...the network is screwed. I'm sick and can't DO anything and still haven't gotten better and...now I can't connect.

Dunno. Bunch of little stuff and I just lost it. I made my friend cry and hide from me. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs mack* I wondered why we hadn't heard from you.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww...I'd fix it, as quickly as you can. It won't get better on its own.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes well, the internet *is* the most important thing in life.

Or was that friendship? Or maybe it was love...

Oh I can never remember!

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the internet.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why you use encryption on your wireless network, don't tell anyone your router password, and maintain separate admin and user accounts on your primary PC. Let's see 'em mess up your network then. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They reset the router to factory settings. I'm still not sure HOW.

o_O

But yeah, it's all encrypted up now. Thanks tom [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"They reset the router to factory settings. I'm still not sure HOW."

Oh, wow. THAT they can still do, even if you're encrypted, by holding down certain button combinations on the physical router. (Note: this is possible precisely because it's possible to screw up security on your router so badly that you can't connect to it with anything, so it's necessary to have some way to reset the router without requiring a connection.)

And, yeah, anybody with physical access to the router can do it -- but THAT is INCREDIBLY rude. Mouth-droppingly, eye-bogglingly, "you will never be invited to my house again" rude.

It's like coming to someone's house and changing all their radio station presets, or reorganizing their books by title, or setting all their clocks to London time because you like London better.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head*

I still don't understand friends who's idea of visiting another friend is to go to their house, then promptly spend their time on the computer instead of spending it talking to the friend....

I have (HAD) a friend like that. And I would go to her house to visit her (at her request - she would call) and she'd be planted in front of her computer chatting on IM with a bunch of friends and totally ignoring that I was even there. Really burned me.

I make the kids turn off the computers in our house when we have people over, to keep from being rude. Except for when they invite their cousins over specifically to play computer games...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
setting all their clocks to London time because you like London better.
Doesn't everybody? And besides, this shouldn't keep you from being invinted back to Londoner's home's.

In a more serious vein, Tom's right, I would be very unhappy with my so called friends if the begin screwing with my wireless router. Perhaps I'd walk into their home and take out all of their locks and then re-arrange their kitchen so everything is at least 3 inches out of their reach ... hmmm ... perhaps not, but I would want to! [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
or reorganizing their books by title
[Confused]
[Eek!]
*head explodes*

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
lol yeah celia that made me think of you!
[Wink]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(mine are organized by genre or subject, then author) [Cool]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Sox win the series, and you people say that the internet, love, or frienship are the most important things in the world?

Hey, people, get your priorities straight.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgardu
Member # 242

- posted      Profile for edgardu           Edit/Delete Post 
In an emergency, can't you just take out the router and connect directly to the modem? I know I can do that with my cable modem.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
*grabs some celia head parts and runs out of thread.*
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
celia head goes at a premium on eBay
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes, but in my sickness and stunned sox winning the world series brain state, I forgot that my DSL is ppoe and not dynamic.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
mack is ill -- she missed that one.

*impressed

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, no. I got that.I sooo got that.

I also apparently have a sinus infection.

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww.

That sucks big time mack. That would definitely upset me as well.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
celia head goes at a premium on eBay
i'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to sell that type of service on eBay.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Darn it, you beat me to it!!!

-Nate

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Celia, if you were smart you would take payment in trade...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.