FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » O'Reilly Settles

Author Topic: O'Reilly Settles
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

- Fox News Channel’s Bill O’Reilly said Thursday he and a former producer of his talk show have agreed to settle their legal dispute over her allegations of sexual harassment, and his accusations that she was trying to shake him down.

“This brutal ordeal is now officially over, and I will never speak of it again,” he said on his talk show, “The O’Reilly Factor.” ....

O’Reilly, 55 and married with two children, had filed a lawsuit accusing Mackris and her lawyer of trying to extort $60 million in “hush money” to make the case quietly go away....

O’Reilly’s lawyer, Ronald Green, issued a statement saying the cases and claims had been withdrawn and all parties agreed there was no wrongdoing by O’Reilly, Mackris or Mackris’ lawyer Benedict Morelli.
MSNBC

Didn't he vow to fight this "evil" accusation?

Here's Bill in his own words:

quote:
When Ohio TV anchor Catherine Bosley resigned after photos of her participating in a wet t-shirt contest were posted on the internet, O'Reilly thought she should be let go (1/23/04):

"Let's be realistic. Politicians, news people, clergy all have images and all depend on the trust of the public to succeed. ... You do something like (Bosley), although it's not illegal, it embarrasses your employer because your employer operates on credibility."
USA Today

[ October 29, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Really? Why?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and all parties agreed there was no wrongdoing by O’Reilly,
This is very different from the normal "so-and-so admitted no wrongdoing."

The plaintiff has now agreed Bill didn't harass her.

It doesn't mean he didn't do it, of course. Just that she agrees he didn't.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Couldn't both be true? [Smile]
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a trial would have really proved either way. Just lots of mud slinging, pain, and embarassment for both parties. I'm glad they settled and saved themselves from that.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
And spared us.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
They spared us from another soap opera that is.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't he vow to fight this "evil" accusation?
Well, since she now says that he did not harrass her, so he doesn't have anything to fight anymore. I guess he could drag things out more and go to trial to "prove" that he did not do anything wrong...but I guess this is easier.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

It would've been nice to find out in court what really happened. But I'm glad for O'Reilly's family that this whole thing is over.
Melponome
Member # 6987

- posted      Profile for Melponome   Email Melponome         Edit/Delete Post 
What bothered me was his "every woman has a [toy]" response:

Mackris supposedly asked if his wife had one.

His alleged response was that she did and she'd be angry if he let anyone know. (Did she name it Sean Hannity [Big Grin] )

WHAT KIND OF MAN DOES THAT?!?!?

If it were ME, I'd say in my bestest Barry White, "Aw, no way, baby."

Then there was the time when Mrs. O'Reilly said "Rush, Rush" when they were intimate. So he finished quickly. [No No]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.