FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DVD Player

Author Topic: DVD Player
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to buy a DVD player. 'Til now, I've been using my PS2 or Xbox, but they've just been getting too much use, being our main DVD, game, and CD players. The Xbox was refurbished to begin with, and we soon realized it hadn't been fixed as much as it should have. We're lazy, though, so we didn't do anything about it. [Smile] Also, my family isn't the most careful when it comes to electronics.

So I need to buy a DVD player that I can keep in my room, and swat my brother and sister if they so much as lay their wretched little eyes on it. I'm a cheap-as-dirt tightwad, though, so I need it to cost as little as possible. Of course, I also don't want to spend money on something that's going to kerfunkel the next day.

Has anybody had any success with a relatively cheap brand? What was it? Keep in mind that video quality is somewhat important to me, but it takes third place to price and durability.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an Apex from wal-mart, and it is excellent, as good as the one that came with my surround sound system, which I got at a later date. My parents also have one, that I got them, ans they have found it very easy to operate, and they like it a lot.

It was less than $40, so that is pretty cheap, don't you think?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
it's been my experience that any player with Component Video output or S-Video are pretty much stellar across the board. be it a $50 apex or a $300 sony i've found picture quality to be about the same.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am sure there are differences, but to the avarage user they aren't worth worrying about. Just go to Wal-Mart of Best Buy and you should be able to find a decent one for under $70, with s-video and componant video inputs. I spent more on the cables than I did on the DVD player... [Big Grin]

Also, make sure it plays the formats you like, some of the older ones wouldn't play DVD-R's.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought one from a pawn shop for $30, and I've been really pleased with it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
We have an Apex player in M-div berthing on the ship. The guy who ran berthing paid for it by using change he had picked up off the deck (this of course was over time).
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal mart sells stuff cheap, and they have everything.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an Apex DVD player once, but I returned it because it didn't read some of my DVDs. I know others that had the same problem with Apex.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think it is a format problem, having to do with what zone it reads from. I have never had a problem, and Apex is one of the fastest growing companies in the world...or at least they were when thety came out with the $40 DVD player...

You cna get a good multi-zone JVC at BB for cheap...or buy a small surround sound package for $120-150, and get a DVD player with it, liek I did... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.