FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about teaching "resourcefulness"

Author Topic: Question about teaching "resourcefulness"
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
is it possible? I mean, most of us end up having some method of BEING resourceful when things don't go exactly according to plans. But I notice that most kids (say up to early teen years) are not that resourceful in general. Maybe I'm oversimplifying in that they can probably be resourceful in familiar situations or probably some kids are very resourceful whereas others aren't.

But I know kids who just STOP as soon as they hit a snag, no matter how minor. I mean, you can walk in, flip a switch and they'll be able to get back on task, but did they THINK to flip that switch themselves? No, of course not!

What is that?

Is it just not really wanting to do the work? So if they were more motivated, they'd be more resourceful too?

Is that just a tautology?

Have I just started a new thread on an old topic?

Sorry...

The real question is CAN you teach a kid to be more resourceful?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I could give you the answer to this but I think you would learn more by figuring it out for yourself.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Branson, the billionaire who founded the Virgin Empire (where do I sign up?) credited his mother for teaching him resourcefulness, in a TV interview some years back. One example I remember is when at a tender age (4?5?) his mother took him some distance away from the house and forced him to find his way home on his own.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,
I think kids are very resourceful, even "kids these days." What I they do not often get is a chance to prove it.
I let the kids in my class help me solve problems like, "Where in hell can I put this table so it does not block this cabinet?" "What can we use tomake a homework chart?" etc. What you have to be is willing to let them do it in their way, which may not be as neat or prim as you imagined it yourself.
So, yes, you can teach resourcefulness by trusting them enough to do things on their own, and teaching them how to critique their own work and others' in a respectful, positive way.

Edit: Dobbie, I loved youranswer. hee hee.

[ October 30, 2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So if they were more motivated, they'd be more resourceful too?
Yeah.

I think the obvious answer--you teach kids to be resourceful by letting/making them
solve problems for themselves--is essentially true. It can be hard to see the truth of this because kids don't learn (or, more correctly, change) character traits as quickly as they learn specific skills. And that is what we're talking about here: character traits, and you don't so much learn those as get trained into or out of them.

Connecting this to the statement I quoted above, I have seen my girls insist that they can't tie their shoes, for instance. If instead of tying them for them I say something like, "Okay. We won't go out until your shoes are tied," assuming we're going somewhere they want to go, their shoes get tied in a matter of seconds. [Big Grin] If we're getting ready to go shopping, though, it takes them much longer to figure it out.

So then, am I really teaching them resourcefulness, if the lesson is unlearned so quickly? Well, setting aside the argument that resourcefulness is precisely what they're displaying, I still think the answer is yes. The hard lessons, the character lessons, I don't think you see the fruits of those right away. But somehow most kids go from being amoral little psychopaths to functional adults, so they must eventually get through.

Doesn't every parent teach resourcefulness this way? Well, I think most parents are guilty from time to time of sacrificing teaching in the name of efficiency. For instance, my girls are a bit behind physically as well as in other ways. They can't take a bath without help yet and they can't brush their teeth without help yet. What I do to try to help them grow is let them try to bathe themselves while I point out what they've missed. But, as Elizabeth noted in the case of her students, they won't do as good a job as if I just took over. When they brush their teeth, I hold their hand and guide them, to make sure they do a good job, and then I have them rinse out their own toothbrushes and rinse and clean themselves. It is faster if I just brush their teeth for them, though. And sometimes, when I'm running late or something, I do take over with each of these tasks.

It's increasingly common for both parents to work, and people just don't always think they have time for lessons whose efficacy isn't readily apparent anyway. *shrug* I think the parents who fight this temptation most successfully are the ones with the most resourceful children. But goodness knows I am not always the father I want to be.

From a teaching standpoint--and sometimes I feel like I'm much more successful as a teacher than I am as a father--I routinely emphasize that learning the critical skills to be able to figure things out is more important than learning a specific skill set. For this reason, I only teach formulas to be memorized when it is unavoidable, and usually teach how the formulas are derived instead. I think this ties in to the issue, because many kids just want something they can memorize instead of having to approach problems that don't fit a mold or that force them to puzzle things out for themselves.

It's natural at all stages in life to seek the easy way out. For young kids, that wish can outweigh the value of being self-reliant, because self-reliance is not how we begin life. It takes some time to adjust to this mature expectation.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I occasionally play the Game Starcraft, a strategy game. Some of the players on there are quite young, and I'm amazed at how resourceful? some of them are.
The unfettered child's mind is a formidable opponent, when it comes to something they're interested in [Wink]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
kaioshin -- that's a good analogy for me to go with....

My three teens sometimes drive me crazy when they are NOT "resourceful" -- but I find it isn't that they can't figure it out for themselves -- they are just afraid to -- afraid they will get it "wrong" (schools place so much emphasis on 'right' and 'wrong' answers).

So I have often said -- "if this was a computer game, what would you try?" Just try it until you figure it out -- think of it like a puzzle, or a conundrum.

And it is very very important to remove myself from the situation. If I'm around at all, they will want me to help, or do it, or figure it out for them. If I remove myself, it forces them to figure it out for themselves.

On a not-so-good, but true, story in this vein: When I was four or five, I was having a very hard time grasping the concept of how to tie my shoes. I just couldn't get the series of movements to do it! One babysitter who was trying to teach me was getting very frustrated with me (I remember this clearly) because I kept giving up and she would have to do it for me.

Then one day when she was trying to teach me, the phone rang, so she left the room to go get it. Her young son (about my age) went to another room and got a gun (I'm serious -- I thought it was a real gun, and it may have been a real b-b gun, but most likely was toy, but I didn't know that) He said, 'you are going to tie your shoe right this time or I'm going to shoot you.

I tied it right. I was terrified. But given the options, it was worth the effort.

(now, we didn't stay with this babysitter very long -- her child was a tyrant that hurt me daily).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

Farmgirl, not THAT'S motivation!

Sheesh.

Thanks everyone for the insights.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Kids often don't have the mental "resources" that resourcefulness consists of - tricks you learn over time about how to do thing more effectively. I'm not sure it is something you teach them directly - I think it is something they learn through experience. Part of it, though, is helping trigger ideas in their heads on how those tricks might work.

At the same time, I think kids are much better than adults at generating these resources when they don't have them.

[ October 30, 2004, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can teach most things directly. I also think that many behavior problems result in not doing so. In other words, I never expect my students to know how to walk in the hall, how to put their himework away, how to get ready for a class. I tell them explicitly what they need to do. Once it is a routine, we move on. This is in contrast to the fourth grade teacher who proclaims, "These kids don't even know how to walk in the halls!" (I hear that so much.)

As a parent it is the same thing. Children come as they are, with a set of traits(personality, interests, abilities, desires, loves) that you will never change. These are their true hearts. What you can do is leave their hearts alone, but train their brains and bodies to be resourceful by providing them tasks to complete.

There are all too many kids who do not progress out of that crazy "id" stage.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I did land surveying a few years back, often my foreman and I would be off in the woods a considerable distance from our truck. When confronted with problems needing tools we didn't have with us, my boss would make do from materials at hand: rocks, sticks, leaves, trash, etc. I learned a lot about using stuff in your environment creatively to solve problems. It's amazing what you can accomplish without ready-made tools if you put your mind too it.

That's one reason I like Jackie Chan's style of movie fighting--he often uses stuff nearby when his character gets in a fight as weapons i.e. furniture, clothing, ladders, etc.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.