FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny: the genders of inanimate objects...

Author Topic: Funny: the genders of inanimate objects...
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an email I got last week.

quote:
You may not know that many non-living things have a gender. For example:

1) Ziploc Bags -- They are Male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.

2) Copiers -- They are Female, because once turned off, it takes a while to warm them up again. It's an effective reproductive device if the right buttons are pushed, but can wreak havoc if the wrong buttons are pushed.

3) Tire -- Male, because it goes bald and it's often over-inflated.

4) Hot Air Balloon -- Male, because, to get it to go anywhere, you have to light a fire under it and, of course, there's the hot air component.

5) Sponges -- Female, because they're soft, squeezable and retain water.

6) Web Page -- Female, because it's always getting hit on.

7) Subway -- Male, because it uses the same old lines to pick people up.

8) Hourglass -- Female, because over time, the weight can shift to the bottom.

9) Hammer -- Male, because it hasn't changed much over the last 5,000 years, but it's handy to have around.

10) Remote Control -- Female. Ha! You thought it'd be Male. But consider this -- it gives a man pleasure, he'd be lost without it, and while he doesn't always know the right buttons to push, he keeps trying.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remote Control -- Female. Ha! You thought it'd be Male. But consider this -- it gives a man pleasure, he'd be lost without it, and while he doesn't always know the right buttons to push, he keeps trying.

*giggles
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite:

quote:
Subway -- Male, because it uses the same old lines to pick people up.
[ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is funny.

What I thought of when I saw this thread title was my Volvo. I always think of cars as female, yet the Volvo is a male car. There is a man symbol on the logo, ever notice that? A friend said a car in Germany is also male. How about France and Italy? Other countries?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The word 'car' is masculine in Norwegian. You know, grammaticists (is that a word?) could have saved considerable trouble by classifying words as Type A, Type B, and Type C, isntead. For example, 'a girl' is masculine. 'A child' is neutral, which makes sense, but 'a rock' is masculine, which doesn't. Then there's the interesting fact that my particular dialect of Norwegian does not use the feminine gender at all.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Car is feminine in French (la voiture) and Russian (машина). Hmm, actually looks like it can be masculine in Russian too: автомобиль. (Actually, "car" in French means "because", but that's a different story.)

KoM, that's cool that your dialect doesn't use the feminine gender. I guess in some languages the connection between grammatical gender and "real" gender is stronger than in others.

*is a closet linguist*

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
The German word for car is neutral. At least, "Auto" is.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
We use 2 words for car: neutral "auto", and male "samochod".
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have the neutral gender for inanimate objects, in Portuguese, so everything is either male or female.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I find this fascinating. Thanks!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
"Samochod" sounds like a pretty literal translation of automobile. Not that I know Polish or anything...

The "ch" is like the Russian "х", yes?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
umm. I guess?

sam= self
chodzic= walk

--

the ending would be the same as in the Russian Lunokhod (moon walker).

[ November 02, 2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
We use two words too... "auto" and "mechonit," or מכונית.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sam= self
chodzic= walk

Nearly the same in English, actually --

auto = self
mobile = able to move

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
10) Remote Control -- Female. Ha! You thought it'd be Male. But consider this -- it gives a man pleasure, he'd be lost without it, and while he doesn't always know the right buttons to push, he keeps trying.
Programmable. 'Nuff said.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that most of the male objects are male because they have the same properties of males, but most of the female ones are females because they have to deal with the same stuff as females...
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Using the standard Hebrew keyboard, the ן is the key that is "i" on an English keyboard.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vv009vV
Member # 2568

- posted      Profile for Vv009vV   Email Vv009vV         Edit/Delete Post 
Sponge - Female, a tool used to clean dishes
Posts: 92 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.