FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Schizophrenia

Author Topic: Schizophrenia
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have this or no someone who does? My grandmother had a mild case of this and my parents were worried I had it for a while when i was between 3-7 when I would just randomly start throwing random temper tantrums about random things about why my toys were red or why peas wouldnt taste good. LOL. I would just totaly ignore everyone around me and wallow in my misery for a few hours then get over it. Turns out I was just very curious and had an impatience for not getting answers. Same today just not as serious. LOL. Freaky thing this disease is though. You'll have many multiple personalites that will just randomly changed. One woman with Schizophrenia was tested and found out to have 27 diferent perosalities. 27!. Sorry to hog up your time with this thread just something on my mind. [The Wave]
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a woman whose brother developed it after a head injury. It was a very sad situation, and very difficult for the family to deal with. Her brother killed himself a few months later. [Frown]

I know not all cases end that way, but my heart goes out to anyone that must fight it.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Schizophrenia IS NOT multiple personality disorder.

Moreover, most of the greater-than-10 personality cases of MPD have been discredited in the last 15 years, I believe.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who has multiple personalities (well, two, now) but he's not schizophrenic. His Corpus Callosum, the part of the brain that connects the two hemispheres, was missing at his birth, so it's not surprising that he finds it hard to keep himself together... O_O;;
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka is right. schizophrenia is a much different illness that disassociative identity disorder (also known as multiple personality disorder).
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Exactly. Schizophrenia is when you hear voices; MPD is when other people hear YOU speak in multiple voices. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] That's the most concise and apt description I've read of the difference between the two.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Schizophrenia is a delution disorder, not multiple personality. Think A Beautiful Mind and John Nash. My best friends dad has a bad case of paranoid schizophrenia, at least thats what we think it is. He won't go to a psycologist or hear anything against his delutions. But he goes around holding a piece of metal to his head saying it helps him communicate with the other world, he tells stories of alien abductions and the like, and makes wacky 'inventions' in his basement. Needless to say, said friend lives with his mom who is perfectly sane. This friend is a physics genius and his dad is also very very smart... just insane. I'm kinda worried that he might get it, cuase I've read in places that it is a genetic disease. I'm always rather frightened for my friend... becuase his dad hunts, owns guns and is a gun repair man. If he loses it completely... [Frown]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my best friends has schizophrenia - diagnosed as a teenager. I also have an aunt and an uncle with schizoephrenia. My uncle developed it after an allergic reaction to morphine during surgery.

Schizophrenia usually manifests itself in the late teens to early twenties. Showing up as a child of 3-7 is uncommon. And the previous posters who stated that multiple personalities and schizophrenia are not the same thing are bang on. Added to that, multiple personality disorder is still considered a theory, with about half the psychiatrists/psychologists saying it exists, and half of them saying it doesn't.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Understand, though, too -- that schizophrenia was the "diagnosis of choice" for much of the 60s. By that, I mean that many other mental disorders were diagnosed and treated as "schizophrenia". It was like the catch-all mental illness.

Now they have learned to distinguish it from other conditions much better. So if you grandmother had it "mildly" and it wasa back in the 50s or 60s, I would question that diagnosis.

My mom was also diagnose as this back at that time. In reality, she has OCD, not schizophrenia. Our understanding of mental illness has grown considerably over the last 20 years.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an uncle with Schizophrenia... He heard, and on occasion does hear voices.

At one time, it was so bad he... um... Kidnapped a person and held the person for Ransom, he was arrested... They found out he had it then. He was in prison longer than what I believe was neccissairy, it wasn't truly his fault... Well... It was caused by the voices but...

Basically, I hold a passion for the struggle so many with it go through...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grigori
Member # 6917

- posted      Profile for Grigori   Email Grigori         Edit/Delete Post 
roses are red,
violets are blue,
I'm schizophrenic,
and so am I...

Sorry, poor taste. I've known a few people with Bi-polar disorder, (the manic depressive ones are the worst) and one or two people diagnosed with 'mild' schizophrenia.

I've been diagnosed with 'borderline paranoid tendancies' but I'm not quite sure if that's due to head injuries or a by-product of my line of work. (Paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness)

Extreme emotional detatchment on the other hand... That makes life interesting. Learning to emulate the habits and motions of 'polite' society to make people feel more at ease.

[ November 02, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Grigori ]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

the manic depressive ones are the worst? how so?
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I am quite familiar with schizophrenia.

My materal grandmother is diagnosed with the paranoid type. To date she has fired a shotgun at my grandfather because she was sure that he was was cheating on her, she burned down their house (to the ground) for reasons unknown, and she routinely had my grandfather change the screws in the house so the people in the airplanes circling the house couldn't listen to us.

She insisted that blinds be kept closed at all times so the neighbors couldn't see us, she told us they were always watching her.

Currently she is homeless. Well, not technically. She lives in her car and roams Northern California causing chaos wherever she stops.

Anyone know about the genetics involved here? Who's next in line, my mom or yours truly?

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing to keep in mind is that, usually, with in the mental health field, once a person receives a diagnosis, that diagnosis tends to stick with them for the rest of their life, whether right or wrong. Mental health practitioners are very reluctant to go against previous diagnosis.

Or perhaps this is just Canada?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grigori
Member # 6917

No... It seems prevalent in the states (at leat the military) as well. I've been 'counseled' for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and even though I've 'proven' I don't have it, I still get all sorts of counselings and other things: 'You can't handlit it all by yourself' and 'you're not alone' or 'we're here to help' speeches.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Valentine, perhaps no one.

Schizophrenia isn't always a pure brain chemical imbalance. It can be caused by a combination of factors including environment and trauma.

The other thing to keep in mind is age. It usually strikes in teens to mid-twenties. If you and your mother are past that age, then there's an extremely small chance either of you could get it. So don't worry about it.

Just because it's in the family doesn't mean that it will necessarily get passed on.

rivka
Member # 4859

Additionally, there is some evidence that it's not purely genetic. There may be certain triggers, which combine with a genetic tendency.

mack, I'm glad you appreciated my witticism. [Wink] Feel free to steal it. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, and what the heck is a NON-manic-depressive bipolar? I thought those were just two terms for the same disease?
mackillian
Member # 586

I did too. That's why I asked.

(and why aren't you EVER ON AIM!? *cries*)

mackillian
Member # 586

A little while longer.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
No, MPD and Schizophrenia are not the same thing, but they are by no means mutually exclusive.

I have known four, possibly five, people afflicted with both. They all committed suicide.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, diagnostic criteria for Bipolar I requires a history of at least one manic or mixed episode.

Bipolar II requires at least one major depressive episode, at least one hypomanic episode, but specifies no history of manic or mixed episodes.

there are subcategories for each, but that is the basic division. So I think that traditional "manic-depressive" goes with Bipolar I but not Bipolar II, which is "hypomanic-depressive."

Hypomanic lasts a shorter time (at least 4 days as compared to at least a week) and is not severe enough to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or usual social activities & relationships, not severe enough to have necessitated hospitalization, and specifies the absence of psychotic features.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Also the thing to note about schizophrenia is that it is possible to reason your way out of it. There have been cases of people with paranoid schizophrenia, who have recognised they have it, and then used reasoning and judgement to essentially counter act it and ignore their delutions. John Nash being a prime example.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

John Nash being a prime example of the VERY VERY rare and RISKY possibility.

Also please note that it took TWENTY YEARS.

Alcon
Member # 6645

Well yes, but it IS possible. And I'll bet most people who know they might get it and are watching themselves could do it.
rivka
Member # 4859

There is every evidence that they could not, actually. And thinking you CAN reason your way out of mental illness is generally a prime example of denial -- and dangerous, to boot.
mackillian
Member # 586

Very. Especially where biology is concerned. Go take a look at brain studies done on folks with schizophrenia and their enlarged front ventricles.

That's a brain deformity. You can't reason your way out of that one.

And the idea that most people could "reason their way out of a mental illness" is one that continues to propagate the idea that mental illness isn't really an illness at all, but a chosen state of mind.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I was unable to reason myself out of a case of moderate depression. I strongly doubt people with schizophrenia, which actually messes with a person's ability to think, could just think their problems away.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not able to reason through many of my problems, even though I know they are unreasonable.

I do often wonder myself about how my mental state will go... I've been said to have a few different things, anxiety disorder, ocd, etc...

Schizophrenia is one for my family... could be kind of scary, supposedly, I sometimes do some of the habits of a person with it...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Well by reason your way out of it, I mean taking it seriously, as an illness, but still working to get around it. Even if it means asking someone one knows exist as to whether or they can see people new to one. Its possible and its a hope to hang on to, but it doesn't mean totally disregard the disorder. Just the same as its possible for people to get around various physical disabilities through force of will and training one can do the same with mental disabilities. Thats what I mean when I say one can reason ones way out of it.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Vadon, have you been properly diagnosed? Depending on what you actually have, if anything, it could be easily treatable.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who suffers from Schizophrenia. She has visual and auditory hallucinations (like in the "Beautiful Mind" story). She is on disability. Sadly, our country's rules state that if she gets married, she loses her disability. Her potential husband is self-employed and thus has nothing like the medical benefits or resources it would take to keep up with her medical costs.

Likewise, if she takes even the most minimal of part time jobs, her disability payments are in jeopardy. If she sold any of her artwork or writing, she would also be dropped from any support payments.

So, she remains single and unemployed, forever on the dole, despite having the love and understanding of a really terrific guy and some potential to work or earn money with

I'm not exactly sure what is the "right way" to do things with respect to mental illness and government funding for victims of the various debilitating diseases, but I do think that setting it up so that a person can't financially afford to even take minimal steps toward self-sufficiency.

I don't get it. A bit of an assist with a safety net would seem more appropriate to me.

This all or nothing stuff seems bizarre.

But then, maybe there are more needs than we can afford to meet in this country? Maybe our tax breaks came at the expense of the most vulnerable in our society?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be schizophrenic..
.. but we're better now.

I don't remember where I heard this, so if anyone knows for sure, lemme know.
Schizoprenics cannot 'catch' yawns.
Yawning after someone else around you yawns seems true enough, and their have even been studies into the possibility this is some subconscious social effort or some such jargon.

Interesting. *yawn*

[ November 03, 2004, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Psycho Triad ]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melponome
Member # 6987

- posted      Profile for Melponome   Email Melponome         Edit/Delete Post 
Schizophrenics don't make "correct" eye contact, either.

The whole paradigm of "social" cues is thrown out.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends sister was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia 15 years ago. She's been steadily deteriorating since then, until it now seems impossible for her to live permanently outside an institution. During her current periods outside she keeps calling my friend, her mother, her extended family and everyone she knows all the time. The clincher is that she is very, very intelligent and able to manipulate people even though they know about her situation. My friend has now changed her phone numbers and only takes one call every day from her sister on her old cell phone. It's sad to think that they were once so close, but this is what sometimes happens to families in the wake of a psychiatric diagnosis.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grigori
Member # 6917

I knew about the yawning thing, but what is 'correct' eye contact?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.