FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To the inventor of the neck tie...

Author Topic: To the inventor of the neck tie...
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, sister. Amen.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Get over it. At least you'll never have to wear panty hose. [Taunt] Or tampons!!!
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Or high heeled shoes. Or a bra.

And you don't have to wax or shave your legs.

[Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
At least not on weekdays...

[Taunt]

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
And you can pee standing up.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Isn't Da_Goat female? Why am I the one getting jumped on? [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

[ROFL]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Jinx!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This was a trap. You all planned it to trap some random guy, and I, unsuspecting fool that I am, walked right into it.

Dagonee

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

[edit: to kylie] It's that psychic connection.

to dag: yep, all a trap. [Razz]

[ November 03, 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The necktie is an evil invention.

And while I'll pretend that I didn't notice the feminie hygene comment, I'll go ahead and say that women don't ever have to wear hose and high heels, but men do have to wear neckties.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

I'd just like to point out here that Goat has surprisingly hairy legs and deep voice for a girl.

Porter, what about the bra? [Razz]

[ November 03, 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: tt&t ]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

You've seen his legs?
tt&t
Member # 5600

You haven't?
maui babe
Member # 1894

Women have to wear hose and heels in EXACTLY the same way that men have to wear neckties...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
heels? where?

<---- doesn't own heels and hates them.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to take this moment to say that I find ties sexy. Return to your griping.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

And I know an awful lot of men who don't own neckties and never wear them.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Heels yes, hose no, at least in formal business settings. Suits w/ pants instead of skirts have become acceptable in all but the most formal of settings, so there are many times a man has to wear a tie when a woman doesn't have to wear hose.

But there's no time when men don't have to wear a tie for business that women can't get away with not wearing hose.

Dagonee
*Sometimes double negatives are necessary. [Smile]

tt&t
Member # 5600

I agree on the heels/hose point, Dag. I own heels (although I rarely wear them) but not hose.

I don't see the big issue with ties anyway, though. I wore one for three years (boarding school uniform) and didn't find it uncomfortable. Now, I get to find it amusing when my guy friends ask me to tie theirs, because they never learnt how. [Big Grin]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I have a small goiter, and sometimes the tie hits it just right. Makes me feel like I'm choking, even though I'm not.

Plus they make me sweat. Picked the wrong profession, I guess.

Dagonee

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
The necktie is the last bastion of individuality for those constricted to wearing a suit for work.

Pick one that makes you laugh, or one with colors that really work for you. Heck, learn to tie a bow tie (that's really, really hard btw) or pick up some odd bolo ties.

When forced to wear a tie, I go for the slightly unconventional, or something retro from the 20s in style. And I still like paisleys, whatever the fashionistas say about them.

My favorites of all time:
A Persian design (think like a Persian rug design) that's mainly black and tan, but with flecks of color that work with anything.

A neutral colored one that looks like it has tan and blue fried eggs on it... it's kind of a hypno-tie.

A teal cord bolo tie held together by a light blue sculpy brontosaur that looks like it was made by an eight-year old.

But make sure you buy one that is of a medium width, has a slightly coke bottle shape (this ties much neater), and avoid anything that isn't 100% silk. Also, always leave a dimple at the knot when you tie it, that way it doesn't look like a clip-on.

And unless you are a highway patrolman, don't wear a clip on. They can get away with it after a few times when they would lean into someone's car window, have their tie grabbed and the perp drive off, literally dragging them by their necks.

[ November 03, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Lost Ashes ]

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of the problems expressed with ties here are actually dealing with badly fitted shirt collars.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in combustion wearing anything that couldn't get covered with soot was out of the question. So now that I'm a teacher I wear a nice shirt and tie, wool slacks, and leather soled shoes everyday. I love it.

Then I look at the teachers that come to school dressed like I used to dress for the lab and I wonder...

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I like neckties. They look good, and they make me look good. Sometimes I've been known to wear them on occasions when they weren't even called for, just because I like the way they look. And besides, where else in our society could you wear such a blatant phallic symbol so prominently in view and have it be called "formalwear"?

quote:
The necktie is the last bastion of individuality for those constricted to wearing a suit for work.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have a friend whose workplace banned casual Fridays a little while back. Now he's required to wear a suit like any other day, so he fights back by wearing colorful ties instead of dressing casual. It's permitted because, hey, he's still wearing a tie.

quote:
I think some of the problems expressed with ties here are actually dealing with badly fitted shirt collars.
Precisely. I've never had trouble breathing because I was wearing a tie. I've had trouble breathing because the top button of my shirt was too high, but that was true even without a tie. If your tie is constrictive, you are wearing it wrong.

quote:
So can women. Most choose not to, since the design makes it harder to aim, and they don't want to get pee on their shoes. But it is physically possible to actually do.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's not that it's constrictive. It's that even the slight contact of the tie on the wrong spot, which can happen just by looking up and down or side to side, makes me feel like someone poked a finger in my neck.

Dagonee

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yours is a special case. Most guys don't have the same physical situation you have. And believe me, as a pro-tie man who has worked in a number of offices, I've heard a lot of guys complain that their ties are constrictive or "suffocating". In every such case, simply loosening the tie or undoing the top button solved the problem.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

One of the best references available, and a fun read, too.

Clothes and The Man by Alan Flusser

Dag, then you might want to change how you tie your tie. A full Windsor or half Windsor knot usually creates a larger knot and if tied improperly can ride up a bit. You might want to try the simpler four-in-hand knot. I find it to be faster to tie, less fussy and more forgiving around my neck. It also adjusts easier and tends to make the knot drape instead of bulge.

Also, if you are a bit taller than norm, the four-in-hand uses less of the length of the tie, leaving a bit more to cover your button placard. (If you're on the chubby side, like me, it works well, too).

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly anti-tie, but then I'm fairly anti-suit. And I'm fat, which means that most ties look ridiculous anyway.

I can pull off a semi-casual sport jacket and dress shirt look -- in fact, this is my preferred method of dress -- but adding a tie makes me look like a high school football coach or desperate insurance salesman.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

Read the book.

You'll find that there is a difference in "putting on" the clothes and "wearing" the clothes.

The assistant coach look is oftentimes the result of not knowing what to buy, or what to look for. And it has a lot more than just suits and ties. It explains fit, for all shapes and sizes, quality materials and design. And for the more casual, how to look good in casual clothes without looking like the Sporty Ken Doll.

It's a book for guys, rather than dandies. And it has more to do with the classics than with what GQ's sponsors want you to wear.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to a better men's clothier, Tom. A well tailored and chosen suit makes a man look considerably slimmer.

I've known people larger than you who looked quite good in a suit.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I do have to say that a well-tailored suit makes even me look good.

The differences are subtle but have a huge impact to the overall look.

Dagonee

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband is a science teacher. I bought him a tie with the periodic table (artistically accented with test tubes, tongs, and crucibles) printed on it.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Dilbert has a cool tie. Ties look good on him [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...but adding a tie makes me look like a high school football coach or desperate insurance salesman.
I laughed. I couldn't help it.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I laughed too.

I like suits, though. Probably because I'm a twig and therefore look bigger in a suit. I've been known to wear a shirt, tie, and blazer with shorts and knee socks to formal dances.

Ties I like -- provided I had the foresight to put on a shirt with a sufficiently roomy collar.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's got the wit, that's for sure.

Sopwith, what a great resource. There is another one for guys I like, but I'll have to go back to the coffeestore where it hangs out to remember the title. (Frugal Muse, an awesome used bookstore, stocks one of the local coffeehouses.)

quote:
There is this website ... No, I'm serious. The nurse who hosts the site used to just have techniques, but it is now focused on a device you can buy for assistance (profit margins [Smile] ). And from all I hear, it has its uses.

[Disclaimer: non-erotic but certainly explicit technical language. No inappropriate pictures.]

This is not, uh, a matter I have personal experience with. Just found it interesting. [Big Grin] I heard about it from a nurse I worked with during one of those long, slow nights -- then punctuated by giggles.

[ November 04, 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.