FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anybody Doubt the Spin?

Author Topic: Anybody Doubt the Spin?
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
This story just dropped. No one throws away a perfectly good life to make a grand gesture. It is pointless and silly, this is a person who decided to end his life and then thought of a neat way to make it a gesture or it was a murder. But AP jumped to the distraught about the election theme, what turds.

quote:
Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Friends said Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry.

"I'm absolutely sure it's a protest," Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's supervisor at the lab, told The Daily News. "I don't know what made him commit suicide, but where he did it was symbolic."

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

BC
Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Link please.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Yahoo has it up right now, I have to go drywall a friends house before we get too drunk...

Hard to cut straight!

Later all

BC

[ November 07, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Bean Counter ]

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I went and found it myself: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041107/ap_on_re_us/ground_zero_suicide&cid=519&ncid=716
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No one throws away a perfectly good life to make a grand gesture.
Then what would you claim those hijackers did on 9/11?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
People throw away their lives to make a grand gesture all the time. The armed forces, suicide bombers, other suicide terrorists, all make grand gestures with their deaths.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously there were other things going on in his life.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

They were not making a gesture they were attacking their enemy. As we are now attacking them.

Funny that given all the moral growth in the Civilized world Trial by combat is still the final arbiter. [Frown]

BC

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They were not making a gesture they were attacking their enemy. As we are now attacking them.

Isn't this a little contrary to the whole, "Terrorists are not soldiers, they are murderers" argument? They were making a gesture. They committed suicide to destroy something very symbolic (more symbolic to them than to us, probably).
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

That is a distinction that has no military meaning, it is spin. They were soldiers striking at their enemy, we are soldiers striking back.

Perhaps the lack of a flag state, that they have no National identity makes them mercinaries rather then soldiers. It may be that I have just not absorbed the distinction yet. They look like an enemy engaged in a war with us. Using infiltration and irregular tactics, perhaps there is someone that can split that hair for me.

BC

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, BC. No one gives away their lives as a grand gesture?

Isn't that practically the definition of the word martyr? Or do you disagree that martyrs exist in the world, or have existed?

Just because you value a "perfectly good" life above a cause doesn't mean everyone does.

::shocked he actually agrees with Tres on something, sort of::

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Like burning monks, and such? I think I could make a good argument that most have some source of great pain that makes it is a relief to choose death over continued life. I doubt that this person found the election of Bush to be such a pain.

Our Tibet is not overrun... I have a knee jerk reaction to Martyrs, go ahead and die for your cause, I will live for mine.

I always get a laugh when the crowds shout that they will die for 'Allah'...

not a problem, we can help with that...

An obscure sect of foreigners with an enclave in Jerusalem called "Trids" went to Jesus before the crucification to ask that he intervene with the popular sport of knocking them down and kicking them.

When he offered himself to a mob in place of a Triddling as a gesture, the mob merely laughed and mocked him shouting ....

"Silly Rabi... Kicks are for Trids!"

BC

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always get a laugh when the crowds shout that they will die for 'Allah'...

not a problem, we can help with that...

Do you honestly find this situation funny?
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

See, the problem with meeting martyrs with bullets is that you only make more martyrs.

Martyrs do nothing for their own lives, they simply solidify opposition against a common enemy.

Muslims aren't the originators of this concept, seeing as the Christians had been doing it for centuries before Islam even took root.

Increased violence against the Christians by the Romans only served to increase their faith and resolve. Despite all the Christians thrown to the lions, there weren't mass conversions for self preservation - only hatred toward the oppressors.

Tres made a good point in another thread:

quote:
In this battle, our goal is not to destroy the resistance in Fallujah - it is to bring peace, stability, and democracy to Iraq. And destroying Fallujah will not help that if it brings the Iraqi clerics to condemn the upcoming elections or to call a nationwide jihad against us.
The goal here is nation building, not nation destroying. We went in to tear down a regime and build up a new nation of tolerance, peace and democracy. Go, build. Try to destroy as little as possible in the process. Educate the would-be martyrs and show them a world where they see the value in their own lives and the worth of a new cause.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Show me any piece of humor that does not have an element of the tragic in it, then I will feel compelled to make a distinction.

Good Luck.

BC

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Your logic again underwhelms.

Even were humor to imply tragedy (as you suggest), this does not mean tragedy would imply humor.

I rather suspect most parents here would be able to give you very specific examples of tragic things they would never, ever find any humor in and would be deeply insulted did you do so (just as an example).

As for the humorous thing without the element of tragedy, perhaps you have heard of puns? While the word tragic might be stretched to include the manglement of a language, it is surely but a cousin of the concept which you ascribe all elements of humor contain.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

There's a difference between humor that has an element of the tragic and finding killing people funny. I asked because I really wanted to know. Do you honestly find it humorous that our troops are going to kill people who would willingly die for their religious beliefs?
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

"We laugh when it hurts..."

-Valentine Michael Smith

BC

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, perhaps you are incapable of the amount of reasoning it would require to answer these questions, and thus must answer with glib quotes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

Quit dodging the damn question with vague, cryptic quotes. Either that or just out and out say that you're not going to answer it.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Yes.. that is it.

[Dont Know]

BC

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

Thank you for being honest. I will keep my opinion of you to myself.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

You know, I saw Stranger in a Strange Land in a lot of what you had been writing about tragedy and comedy.

Do you take all your cues from Heinlein? Going to run through a community house with a doll-shaped time bomb and blow them all up next?

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or do you see yourself as the next Farmham? [Roll Eyes]

quote:
I always get a laugh when the crowds shout that they will die for 'Allah'..
Well, I hope you disguise it well, or your tenure over there will be short and painful.

I bet you read Starship Troopers and didn't even notice the social commentary or the sarcasm, right?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, you can't reason with someone who has a general feeling of superiority. They're just always going to be right.

The goal should not be, however, to give these people guns.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You just tell them that the way to shoot them is to look down the barrell and pull the trigger.

They will of course say "I KNEW that!" and then....

Suddenly it isn't a problem anymore... [Big Grin]

Or you can just let the go laugh at Allah in the middle east...the results will be about the same.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He had some other troubles besides the election.

quote:
Andrew Veal, 25, was engaged to be married to an Iowa college student, whom he was supposed to see at her sister's wedding in Seattle this weekend. But Veal also had a girlfriend in Athens, where he lived, sources said.

When police found his body Saturday morning, they found a note to his girlfriend saying she was "too good" for him, a source said. The note also included a reference to Bush's victory, the source said.

Friends and co-workers said they had no idea Veal was suicidal.

"I think he wanted it to be dramatic," said one Athens friend, 23. "The election was just a catalyst."

Veal was a peaceful, liberal vegetarian who hated guns, never got worked up about politics or the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and seemed content, friends said.

"He doesn't even have friends who have guns," said Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's boss at a University of Georgia survey research lab. "We're all trying to understand, and nobody does."

Veal and his roommates held an election night party in their clapboard house near the University of Georgia campus, where they expected to celebrate a John F. Kerry victory.

But the day after Bush won, Veal bought a shotgun in an Athens store and drove to New York, a source said, where he went on a spending spree with his girlfriend's credit card.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

I am glad to know that I was right, not that I did not expect to be...

If you read Admiral Bob there is hope for you, even if you think he was being sarcastic in Starship Troopers, you may learn that he was being in deadly earnest... I suggest the compilation of his essays called: Expanded Universe. It is a Twainian 'Grumbles from the Grave' type book.

If you are going by the slant from the movie, do not.

BC

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. You're a Heindhead. I was wondering.
Just let me know before you start dipping into Ayn Rand so I can put on a mac first.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.