FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Too bad it's not my kind of place...

Author Topic: Too bad it's not my kind of place...
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a forum dedicated to a wonderful Polish fantasy writer. I registered a few days after it was created, in September 2002, and I now have 164 posts. It's just that I can't really connect with the people there, for various reasons. They don't talk about politics, religion, or anything remotely controversial. And you know, I mostly don't participate in such threads on Hatrack, and I don't think I would there, but the thought that they are avoiding the subjects altogether makes me sorta ... uncomfortable. Another thing is they don't like people to start new threads. So there are threads going on for 60+ pages, most of them derailed, and you just feel they'd hate you if you start a new one, cause there's enough threads as it is already [Roll Eyes]

So I mostly lurk there... and the thing is, there are some great people in the community... Aside from the "normal" great people, there are 2 best SF/F translators Poland's got (one is the guy who translated most of OSC's work) , and a pretty renowned writer. And if it was a community I liked hanging out with, and felt comfortable in, I could get to know these people. As it is, I can just lurk and be jealous.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know what you mean Kama. I have also been on other forums, but there is just no place like Hatrack (except maybe the scrabble site*)

*) inserted to attrack Sharpy, who only comes to threads with the word 'scrabble' in it.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, I dabble on two other forums other than Hatrack, and they pale in comparison. I usually lurk there when I have nothing more to add to here.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

It's not about the other forum being or not being like Hatrack. It's not another Hatrack issue [Wink]

I just find it sad that even though there are interesting people there (translators I've always admired, out of all people!), it's not a place where I feel comfortable enough to post.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Just post your picture Kama, and they'll beg you for more [Big Grin]
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[ROFL]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That means we have you all to ourselves... [Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least you have this fine forum instead, Kama!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Somehow I detect irony in your voice, jebsy.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
But I looove Hatrack!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.