FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Egg Nog. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egg Nog.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
is in stores. Let us rejoice and be glad.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
At my orchestra holiday concert sophomore year we had to do some christmasy theme, so our section did egg nog. We threw eggs at one of the boy's heads. they hit the gagillion dollar auditorium carpet, I think I'm still in trouble for that one.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's funny? Last April I was in our local grocery store, picking up some cottage cheese -- and there, right next to the whipped cream and sour cream and other things with cream in the name, was a small selection of egg nog.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm glad to see that egg nog is apparently still produced at all times of the year, and I of course bought some immediately. But I have often wondered, since then: why April? Is it an Easter/Christmas connection? Did some factory find a huge closet full of leftover egg nog somewhere and rush it to market? Or do we ship our excess egg nog during the non-holiday season to other countries, and somehow Oregon, Wisconsin wound up the lucky recipient of one of these CARE packages?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be Easter, Tom, due to the eggs in it.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

dude! if my grocery store were that cool i'd buy it hourly.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's good? Egg nog shakes. Egg nog, vanilla ice cream, chocolate covered cherries and just a hint of rum (optional, its still the bomb either way). Blend it. Drink it. Thank me later.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ecookbooks.com/products.html?affiliateID=36309&item=02698

"The holidays of spring--Easter, Passover, Mother's Day, and even bridal and baby showers--are times to celebrate new beginnings with family and friends. In Holiday Eggs, food and garden writer Georgeanne Brennan combines her areas of expertise to create a breathtaking collection of recipes and decorating ideas honoring the humble egg, symbol of birth and rebirth."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Ben.

The appearance of egg nog in the stores coincides with the end of the apple season - definitely helps me over the slump. [Smile]

*when a door closes, a window opens* [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

*starts eating a giant marshmallow
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
*starts lusting for egg nog and thinks about making some for self from scratch*
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't drink egg nog anymore. If I do, I practically suffocate.

[Cry]

<---somewhat enjoys being a killjoy.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not a killjoy, Joldo.

That leave more eggnog for the rest of us to enjoy! [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had eggnog.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate eggnog...

*Kills all the joy*

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*joins in the killing of joy*

Eggnog...blech...

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Eggnog in November? Blasphemy! That's like . . . that's like eating pumpkin pie in the spring! It's just wrong.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This year, when eggnog is like $0.20 a gallon, I'm going to buy a dozen gallons and freeze it.

Eggnog in July! I've got shivers already. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I also never tried it. Something about it just sounds disgusting, to me...
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like it has eggs in it.
I hate eggs.
i won't drink it. [Grumble]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
The eggnog you get in the store is a bit too rich for my taste - I add a little milk. I loved the eggnog my mom made - but that included raw eggs and I don't risk that any more. It tasted great, though.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

the stuff you buy in the store is pasteurized - therefore safe.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still eggs though
*hates eggs*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know what's funny? Last April I was in our local grocery store, picking up some cottage cheese -- and there, right next to the whipped cream and sour cream and other things with cream in the name, was a small selection of egg nog.
Ah...but did you get violently ill after you drank it. Maybe they don't make it year round...you just got last years leftovers. [Razz]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty easy to make homemade egg-safe eggnog too. Take the eggs and a cup or so of the milk (or cream, if you're going the clog-your-arteries route) and zap in the blender with a some (say 1/2 c.) of the sugar. Do NOT include the vanilla at this point.

Microwave at high for a minute or two (try one minute, then if it's not hot enough, another minute), until it is heated through, but not boiled or curdled. Return to blender; add remaining milk, sugar, and vanilla. Also add any alcohol and spices.

Nummy!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn -- I don't like eggs either, but I LOVE eggnog. It doesn't taste eggy. Try some!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth is egg nog?

(edit: I did look it up, but I'm still not sure if it's something I ever had or not)

[ November 08, 2004, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rich and very sweet beverage, may or may not be alcoholic (if so, most commonly spiked with rum). Often flavored with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Milk/cream blended with eggs and sugar, essentially.

Really yummy. [Big Grin]

Pictures: one two three

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Never had it. Too bad [Frown]

(initially, I thought it was something sort of like advocaat. But seems like it's not)

[ November 08, 2004, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid that I, too, will have to join in the killing of the joy. Blech! Just give me the rum.

"But why is the rum gone?!"

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*irritated* Ok, so why is it that everyone else has it in stores near them but me?

Now I'm going to have to check out more stores tonight. *shakes fist* Darn you, Hatrack!

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like egg nog either, but my husband loves it. He likes to add sprite or 7-up to it to thin it out a little.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to mix it 1/3 egg nog, 2/3 milk.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

1) Closest Walmart is 45+ minutes away.

2) I refuse to support Walmart's business practices.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! [Smile]

Ralphs, Vons, and Albertson's all had it last year. I'll check them out.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I have this great recipe for Egg Nog Mousse if anyone is interested.

Yum. Let the egg nog flow!

[Wave] Hi Ben!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of the egg nog as well. [Big Grin]

There's a place near me called Oberweis Dairy and every December they have egg nog ice cream. They also have peppermint ice cream, mmmm.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Valentine:
quote:
Definitely interested!!!

Signal:
quote:
Oberweis Dairy
Are you in the Chicago area or has Oberweis expanded? Their egg nog is YUMMY!!!! I haven't had the ice cream (any flavor) yet, I don't buy it often as I typically don't have the room in my freezer.

[ November 08, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love eggnog, too, but the store bought stuff is too sweet for me, so I make my own. These days I use one of the commercial egg white products (I like All Whites) instead of raw eggs. It comes out nummy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Y'all made me crave egg nog, and I haven't had a chance to check the grocery stores. So I made a batch.

MMMmmmmm.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love egg nog. Store-bought, homemade, dairy-bought, however I can get it, it's great. With milk, with rum, plain, it's all fantastic.

Yummy!

I forgot to look at the grocery store tonight. Maybe next week...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be within twenty feet of an open eggnog container. The smell alone makes me want to vomit.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

rivka: thanks - I'll have to try that out.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the flavor, but the idea of the raw eggs turns me off but good.

Please tell me the store-bought stuff isn't filled with raw eggs, only the homemade stuff.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ralphie, the store-bought stuff is pasteurized. And if one uses the microwave method I outlined above (or something similar), you need not fear raw eggs in the homemade stuff either.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the thought. The THOUGHT.

It's so yummy and spicey and nutmegy, tho. [Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know what's wrong with you all, but i've seen eggnog in the grocery stores here in utah year round for the past couple of years. generally at your friendly neighborhood walmart.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No, see, after you (or someone who is preparing the beverage for m'lady's delicate palate) have nuked the egg mixture, they're NOT raw any longer.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
sneaking off at three in the morning with a friend to walmart then drinking eggnog in my cold car in the dark parkinglot.

mmm, secret drinking.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

- posted      Profile for Lyraluthuen   Email Lyraluthuen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That sounds delicious, if you wouldn't mind passing it along to one more person. Thanks!
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the diluters crowd, a la mph's proportions. More to luvvv. [Smile]

I bet dollars to doughnuts that Cold Stone Creamery will have an egg nog ice cream selection.

[ November 09, 2004, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Niki (valentine014) is sleeping now, and will be going to work when she wakes up, but I know where she keeps the recipes if you guys want me to post it today. Or she can when she gets home from work.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.