FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yet another food thread...zucchini!

Author Topic: Yet another food thread...zucchini!
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a zucchini to fix with dinner one night this week, and was thinking I'd like to sautee it. I've never sautee'd zucchini before; actually come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever prepared zucchini before. I love it when I eat it at restaurants, so it sounded like something fun to try. We're having teriyaki chicken and marinated sirloin tonight (we're having friends over), so it would be great to try this out.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love zucchini!

Sauteed in butter is great -- it is more commonly served when cooked w/tomatoes in that way, with butter, and cooked until tender.

Or you can fry it, or make a casserole -- so many possibilities!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ratatouille! Chop (or slice) the zucchini up and cook it with mushrooms, onions (sauté these first in a drop of oil or butter), and tomatoes (canned work fine). Great hot or cold.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I make zucchini pancakes sometimes. Mike has the exact proportions, but this is the jist of it:

-1 zucchini cut thinly into disks then slivers. Put in bowl, add lots of salt (so it all feels gritty) and wait ~15 minutes for zucchini to soften. Rinse most of the salt off.
-1 egg
-4 scallions, chopped finely
-salt to taste
~1 cup flour
-water to make the right "pancake batter" consistency

Fry in a pan with canola oil until cooked all the way through on both sides. Makes like 4-6 pancakes, depending on size. Eat with soy sauce. Yum!

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes, it is important to slice it thinly. That helps it become more tender faster.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You guys are making me REALLY hungry with this thread. I can just smell it......

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Roasted is great. Slice into halves. Mist or brush lightly with olive oil. Add frsh herbs (depends on the main dish) and some slices of red onion. Roast at 325 for about 30 minutes or so.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
mince garlic. quarter zucchini and then slice into 1/8" thick peices.

stovetop on high, heat a small amount of peanut oil. toss in garlic and fry for about 30 seconds, toss in zucchini and a couple splashes of soy sauce, coat and cook for about 3-5 minutes.

this was part of the beef and zucchini dish i made just last night. yeah, me cooking, the world must be ending.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Oh boy, these all sound SO good!

I think I want to try the garlic one tonight. Celia, do you think sesame oil would be okay to substitute? I don't have any peanut oil, but I do have sesame oil -- I used some in the chicken teriyaki marinade.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Flavor wise that should be a great substitution for an asian side dish. The only real problem in substituting between oils is making sure you don't accidentily substitute one that has a lower smoke point. Peanut oil is around 450 and sesame around 375F so you should probably use a lower heat setting and extend the time a little.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing is that sesame oil has a really strong flavor. I wouldn't suggest using it as the source of frying oil, but as a dash to flavor it afterwards.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I'd saute them in a mixture of olive oil with just a dash or two of the seaseme oil in it. You should be able to taste it, but it shouldn't be over whelming. (If you did it in straight seaseme oil I think that would be all you could taste [Wink] )
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Given the amount of oil, I don't think it's an issue. Really, it's just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. I'd me more concerned with adding too much soy sauce.
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Slice it thick and sautee with butter and olive oil on medium high. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt and a pinch of basil. Right before done, splash with a bit of white wine.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I can hardly wait to try this out tonight. Thanks very much! I'll let you know how badly I ruin it -- I'm a pretty inexperienced cook, so improvising is a little scary. And if it's awful (my fault, if so -- anything except ice cream goes well with garlic!), we'll have broccoli. [Smile] If I manage to succeed with it, though, I'll give Hatrack all the credit.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... ratatouille... I'm gonna make a big batch this week to observe the end of the season, we've got lots of peppers and eggplants to use up...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think I need to print off this thread and keep it for my next year's zucchini crop...
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
We've just been sauteeing it and adding it to pasta, but last night we made it a layer in our lasagna and it was excellent! It is also good grilled or roasted with potatoes, onions and green peppers.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately we've been sauteing thinly sliced zucchini and baby eggplant in oil and then tossing with good quality olive oil and vinegar (tarragon vinegar at the moment but any white wine variety would do) - almost as a warm salad.

The zucchini goes all sweet and then the vinegar provides a tartness that cuts across both flavours - delicious!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Zucchini can actually be used in lasagna instead of noodles. Works quite well, IIRC, although I haven't made it that way in ages.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I tried it last night with the garlic and sesame oil -- it was *excellent*! Thank you!

Now I have to try some of these other suggestions. *smacks lips*

rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
All of these great suggestions for zucchini have reminded me of how long it has been since I've made zucchini and how much I like it. The reason I haven't made it, though, is that my wife is not much of a fan. Maybe I'll trade her a night of zucchini for a night of the dreaded brussels sprouts! [Smile]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.