FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone broke into our apartment :(

Author Topic: Someone broke into our apartment :(
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
My digital camera is gone, along with some cash, jewelry, and my dad's mobile phone.

We changed the locks, and will not be giving the keys to anyone, but man... [Frown]

It was not a cheap camera [Frown]

And the fact that someone actually got *in* the apartment and felt free to take our stuff. Crap.

[Frown]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kama)))
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kama))) [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have renter's insurance over there? To cover the cost of a replacement camera?

(((Kama))) this is really rough. But I'm glad you weren't there when it happened.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch...

What really hurts is that people simply fel free to go and take stuff that is rightfully others; hard-earned artifacts and sometimes not only expensive stuff, but emotionally precious.

If I ever caught a burglar breaking into my house... I'd break his... or her... *Beeeeeeeeep*.

quote:
I'm on your side, when times get rough.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Do you have renter's insurance over there? To cover the cost of a replacement camera?
I think we do have an insurance, but as far as I know, the camera wasn't listed. Also, there are no signs of breaking in (they must have had the keys), so the insurance company wouldn't accept the claim anyway.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
What really hurts is that people simply fel free to go and take stuff that is rightfully others; hard-earned artifacts and sometimes not only expensive stuff, but emotionally precious.

*nod*

[Frown]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried calling your dad's phone?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Hopefully the police would've thought of that.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch...

What really hurts is that people simply feel free to go and take stuff that is rightfully others'; hard-earned artifacts and sometimes not only expensive stuff, but emotionally precious.

If I ever caught a burglar breaking into my house... I'd break his... or her... *Beeeeeeeeep*.

quote:
I'm on your side, when times get rough.
Jonny
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ai, Kama, that sucks. Do I remember that some friend of your brother's took off with your car once? Any chance he's behind this too? Your brother's keys didn't recently go missing did they?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Kama))))
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kama)))

curse the theiving *bleeps*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] Bastards!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible! And scary. I'm so glad you changed the locks right away. How awful.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, dang, I'm sorry to hear that Kama! [Frown]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Mad] [Frown]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown]

(((Kama)))

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you are all safe. Things can be replaced, but Kama is a semi-precious commodity.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Whoever took the phone got rid of the phone card/chip thingie , so calling it didn't help.

I just got home from work. I kept everything camera-related in one box, and from what is missing, it seems like it was stolen by someone who has no idea about digital cameras. The charger and battery were there, along with a 64 MB card. The 128 is gone, and the 8 MB one which came with the camera. The USB cable and the CD's are gone, too. But no one from my brother's generation would take the camera and leave the battery + charger thing, so I'm guessing it's not my brother's friends.

Kama
Member # 3022

[Group Hug]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] *hugs Kama*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kama))))
How frightening...

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you feel. My mom's apartment was broken into twice, once when I was living with her. the most valuable thing that was taken, moneywise, was a 13-inch color TV that I bought her.

Things that I lost: a jewelry box covered with shells that I was given by my host family when I was an exchange student in Germany, and an ear cuff that my mother-in-law gave me. That was sterling silver.

In both cases, I believe, it was people living in her (crappy) apartment building, and they literally broke in. But she didn't have renter's insurance, and was just out the stuff.

I understand the sense of loss and violation that someone would come in and take your stuff just because they can. I hope they are caught. Sometimes they can be caught when they try to sell or pawn the stuff, because the pawn shops probably share information with the police.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
that sucks...I had my apartment broken into 2 years ago. The worst thing is the feeling of being screwed over. When it happened to me, I remember thinking that the police were completely inept. They kept loosing the paperwork, so I had to repeat the same thing over and over again to different cops. The only reason the person got caught was they were an employee of the apartment complex, and they also lived there. The morons left all the stolen goods (they stole from several apartments) inside their own apartment so one of the maintenance people saw the stuff and turned them in.

[ November 10, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*sigh* We're thinking that if it were some kids (read bro's "friends"), the CD's and DVD's would get taken as well. The really scary thing is that an easily suscpectable person is our neighbour, whom we trusted with the keys some time ago. She would have enough time to search through the appartment when we're not there, plus she wouldn't know about the camera.

Around the time when the kid took my car keys, I noticed that a golden cross and necklace I got from my great-grandmother were missing. Couldn't figure out what happened. Suspected the kid. But now, I'm not so sure. I think something else got missing right then, too.

You don't really know whom to trust.

TheTick
Member # 2883

We're pretty trustworthy, considering the distance and all. Unfortunately, that's not all that comforting. [Frown]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my place broken into, too. Several times. And car as well.

Whether you think insurance will cover it or not, it's still worth checking into it. Same with reporting it to the police - whether you think the perp will be caught or not, report it. Plus you usually have to have a police report to claim insurance.

In my case, they broke the door down. The door and door f rame both had to be replaced - splintered too badly. They grabbed and ran. No thought for what they were taking other than what was immediately visible. Probably in and out in under 30 seconds. It still felt creepy. I feel for you.

Good luck. [Group Hug]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
GrrrRRrrrrr. I'm sorry, Kama [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Geez that sucks. I've had my truck broken into for my CD's and CD player (ripped my dashboard all to heck doing it too) but never my house. Makes you feel very violated doesn't it.

I'm so glad we have big mean looking dogs. That the dogs would most likely lick you to death isn't the point, they're pit bulls and seeing them in the window has to be a deterrent.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Kama))))

Sorry to hear that. I hope you catch them...well, not you personally, but....you know what I mean.

Just be glad that you weren't home when they came in, or that you didn't interrupt them while they were there....it could be a LOT worse.

See, that is what you get for not moving out here!
You should have taken one of the propositions you got while visiting over here...god knows you got more than a few.
[Wink] [Wink]

J/K, I don't know what crime is like over there, but as you can tell it happens here too.

I am just sorry it had to happen to you.

Kwea and JenniK

[ November 10, 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Although it is a sad thing, think of what you still have... Your identity. The person could have stolen much more than just some physical possession, but also your very life.

Sorry about what happened though...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a slightly amusing story of loss:
Barbara is a coworker, and Jim is her b/f. Jim's house (he's not there often) was broken into. When he found out, there were boxes of stuff by the door. Apparently, the thief couldn't take all the stuff at one time, and packed some stuff for a later trip.

Jim called the police. It was a Sunday, and the underfunded police department didn't have anyone available to come over right away (someone was on vacation). Jim insisted that they come over because the suspect would be returning. The police officer was skeptical and they didn't have anyone to spare "in case" someone came back.

Jim waited. The suspect returned. Jim caught the guy in the act of trying to take Jim's stuff. Jim chased the guy down the street with cell phone in one hand and knife (nudie knife!) in the other. (The knife was one of a set given to Jim with nude girls painted on.) Jim caught the guy and had him down on the sidewalk when the cops arrived.

The suspect was charged, but I don't think it ever went to trial. I'll have to check to see if Jim got all his stuff back. Anyway, that's the "great nudie knife incident." Disclaimer: Don't try this at home, kiddies.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks, Kama, I'm sorry. I had a car stolen once and it was awful, can't imagine what having someone come into my house would be like.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in your house.

Oh, I see what you mean.

[Monkeys]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] You're hosting from now on, you realize. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] That sucks, Kama! I hope they catch the creeps. (((((Kama&family)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

My car got stolen last year, but I got more for it from insurance than I would if I tried to sell it, so I wasn't very upset. Incidentally, the camera cost exactly as much as I got back for the car. [Smile]

(that only means that the car was so cheap, not that I had a super expensive camera [Wink] )

[Group Hug] Thanks, all

[ November 11, 2004, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, I'm so sorry! What a crummy thing to happen to you.

Are you sure that the camera has to be listed on the insurance? Our policy has general appliance and electronic coverage. It can't hurt to check, right?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

The insurance company needs to have evidence that the appartment was broken into. No marks on door/locks = no evidence = no money.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think the worst thing of all would be the feeling of being violated. The stuff doesn't matter at all compared to that. <<<<<kama>>>>>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

agreed, ak.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.