FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Flaubert's Parrot

A novelization of metadata, literary criticism and theories disguised as a novel and memoir, intellectual diary of an amateur Flaubert enthusiast. I love it, although it is taking me a very long time to read. Every chapter is like a separate work, so I have to set the book down and think every fifteen pages or so.

I still haven't read Flaubert. I'm not sure I can, that I want to. The New Yorker has filled up my quota of adultery stories for the year, and I fear to read of deeply romantic sensibilities when I've resolved that I can't believe them. Instead, with Flaubert's Parrot, I can back into the room and hold up a mirror to see what is behind me.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Moby Dick, of course.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
duh...Hatcrack!
[Taunt]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you reading RIGHT NOW? thread on Hatrack Forum.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Clarke's The City And The Stars.

A friend recommended it to me, but it was checked out at my school library so I got it after I finished Childhood's End. It seems pretty good thus far...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Light

by M. John Harrison

Just started this novel based on the numerious recommendations on the back by authors such as Neil Gaiman, China Mieville, Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds, etc. It was also the winner of the James Tiptree Jr. Award.

I had just finished re-reading Ringworld by Larry Niven....had been many, many, many, many years since I had read that particular book.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobos in Paradise

A nice social commentary / satire regarding the current 'elite' class, Bourgeois (sp?) Bohemians (hence, Bobos). There are some interesting concepts, but mostly looking at how not to become one I suppose.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
The Choice, Gobal Domination or Global Leadership, by Zbigniew Brzezinski. It is an interesting counterbalance to the "neocon" unilateral foreign policy being espoused by the current administration.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, Maps in a Mirror. As soon as I find where I stashed it. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, just starting a reread of Bradbury's Dandelion Wine and working through Isaiah in the Bible.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading Cat's Cradle a short while back, I decided i like Vonnegut's style, so I started Sirens of Titan which was standing on my bookshelf for some 20 years. I am enjoying it so far. I need to finish it quickly, cause I just got the first 2 books of Martin's series from Amazon. They'd better be worth it.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*ahem*

"The Significance of Circadian Organazation in Health and Longetivity" by my professor, Martin R. Ralph.

</nerd>

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhhmmm... Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Bunch of geeks, all of you. [Smile]

As supplementary reading, I am rereading Homecoming #5 by OSC, and my Entertainment Weekly that I love far more than I'd like to admit.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
For school? Jean Baudrillard. Next week: Michel Foucault.

For pleasure? Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon. Space opera is back, and Elizabeth Moon writes it. I just finished Ilium by Dan Simmons, and I have to read something.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
And you love us, right kat? [Razz]

I'm also paging through Shakespeare's Julius Caesar online, if it helps.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thailand: A Short History by David K Wyatt, and I'm finally getting around to reading the latest Alvin Maker book. Left both of them at work though, so unless I make a trip into the office tonight or tomorrow I'll have to come up with something else to read until I go back on Friday.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
And you love us, right kat?
Yes my darling geeky Hatrackers, I do. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously am reading Moby Dick, and enjoying it far more than I thought I would.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Rage of a Demon King by Raymond Feist, which is pretty much crap, even by Feist's standards. I'm reading it as part of my crusade to become conversant in popular fantasy. Some parts of the überseries are actually entertaining and good reads. This series, and this book in particular, are just tedious, though.

I am also reading The Hollow Man by Dan Simmons. Simmons is a fantastic writer and I love most of his writing. So far, though, I am finding this book a bit cynical for my tastes. Certainly the in-depth (and inaccurate) slam of Disney didn't help. Still, it's hard to put down. We'll see what happens . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Reckoning Infinity by John E. Stith
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Do you recommend anything else by Dan Simmons? I'm almost done with Parrot, and I'll need something new before returning to Diskworld in a book or two.
Jacob Porter
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for Jacob Porter           Edit/Delete Post 
Folk of the Fringe by OSC. I have only a few books left until I read all of OSC full length fantasy/sci-fi/horror books (except for collections of short stories). I have Hart's Hope and the last few Alvin Maker books left.

I'm also reading Scientific American.

Textbooks of course.

Endymion by Simmons is great. Its beautiful.

[ November 10, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Jacob Porter ]

Posts: 178 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
At present, only a several-month-old issue of Harper's and some of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes stuff. I have a stack of novels to choose from and I'm feeling strangely indecisive.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ashamed to say that I am just now reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower. Ashamed because it's been in stores for such a long time. Still, at $50 Canadian I sure as hell wasn't going to buy it, and the library took its sweet time in getting any copies.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

That reminds me. Is it acceptable to read the revised edition of the first volume, as someone who has not read the unrevised edition? I can't seem to find the unrevised edition anywhere and I was thinking of starting to read those books.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire Hyperion series, but that's a bit obvious.

He had an interesting one that looked at gender-relationships, but I can't remember the title off of the top of my head. I'll look when I have time at home.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

quote:
Endymion by Simmons is great. Its beautiful.
Yeah, it's a good book, but you'll probably want to read Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion first, as they are the first two books in a quatrain of which Endymion is the third book.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen. He is very silly.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age and was very dissapointed. Is Simmons like that?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rereading Prentice Alvin. My friend was laughing at me when she saw me reading it yesterday though because all she could see was that there was a very buff guy with no shirt on the front cover. [Dont Know] Now she's questioning my choice of reading material.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

No, Simmons is very different. After reading Cryptonomicon, I was kind of disappointed by Stephenson's earlier work.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Ilium by Simmons was pretty good. I had gotten tired of Simmons after reading all the Hyperion books, and so I was pleasantly surprised at how readable Ilium was.

Now I suppose I'll have to read Proust. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Confessions of a Yakuza.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh RIGHT NOW??

I'm reading This Thread on Hatrack..

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Journey to the West as translated by Anthony C. Wu.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

quote:
That reminds me. Is it acceptable to read the revised edition of the first volume, as someone who has not read the unrevised edition? I can't seem to find the unrevised edition anywhere and I was thinking of starting to read those books.
Are you talking about the Dark Tower series? If you are, then I didn't even know there was a revised edition of the first volume. I bought the first volume right around the time that the fourth volume came out. In any case, I don't think it would really matter if it was a revised edition.

If you were talking about some other series, feel free to disregard this post.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A People's History of the United States
Uh, Romany, isn't this a textbook? You reading it for a class?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I loved reading A History of the Roman People, even though it was for a class.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This series, and this book in particular, are just tedious, though.
I'm coming to realize that I am far, far less picky about what I read than what I watch, at least for fiction. I quite liked that particular series. In fact, in some ways I think it was my favorite of all of the Midkemia books that Feist wrote.

I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm finding it absolutely riveting. In the queue are Maps in a Mirror, and Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh RIGHT NOW??

I'm reading This Thread on Hatrack..

how odd, I am actually reading the text in my reply for this thread on hatrack. Of course I am to lazy to link to the thread (like you did) but people will just have to pretend that I inserted a link.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finishing up A Game of Thrones for the first time.

I'm also a little over halfway through The Alien Years by Silverberg, it's fairly standard Silverberg, not amazing but interesting enough to keep my attention. I'm very disappointed, though, because the back of the book promised me aliens that ignore humans, and these aliens aren't.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Are you talking about the Dark Tower series? If you are, then I didn't even know there was a revised edition of the first volume. I bought the first volume right around the time that the fourth volume came out. In any case, I don't think it would really matter if it was a revised edition.

Yeah, I meant the Dark Tower. I keep hearing it's good so I figure I'll read it at some stage, but there was some discussion here when the revised edition of the first volume came out as to which was better.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The Ideology of the Aesthetic by Terry Eagleton.

But I'm thinking of dropping it. I knew Eagleton would be looking at aethetics -- Kant, Schiller, Adorno, Walter Benjamin, post-structuralism, etc. -- from a Marixst viewpoint, but frankly, this viewpoint is more annoying than in some of his other works plus the prose is rather boring.

I need to find a good history of aesthetics -- anybody have suggestions?

Also: I just finished Pratchett's _Thief of Time_. Fabulous. One of my favorite Discworld novels so far.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading Good Omens again. Currently reading The Art and Science of Digital Compositing . Fun times.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Cuttin' the Body Loose: Historical, Biological, and Personal Approaches to Death and Dying

Work stuff. No play reading right now -- too busy, too drained.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Too drained for play reading! Hope you can spend a few days unwinding Sara.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.