FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Somehow, life will go on...

Author Topic: Somehow, life will go on...
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Or so you would think.

Maybe I don't take my TV as seriously as most (seeing as I don't have one and all), but for CBS to feel that they needed to issue a public apology?

Oy.

This embarasses me, as an American. Didn't we give the rest of the world enough to laugh at us about by re-electing Bush? [Wink]

[ November 12, 2004, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, I feel your pain.

And I am so glad I am not an American. If I was, I would have given up my membership in the country because of this. Seriously. It has me that upset. [Mad]

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of some ways for you to stop being an American, Frisco.

*bats eyes*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

That of course being in response to the apology, and not Kama's thinly veiled offer. Had I been watching, I think I might have been mildly irritated, and then I would have moved on. Obviously somebody complained, alot. I'd have half a mind to find these people and smack them all upside the head. You know, if I cared.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I was irritated, I was watching it, but certainly not irritated to the point that it merited a complaint.

I mean, it's just a tv show, and I would have caught it on re-runs anyway.

However, it did seem to be a bit of overkill (no pun intended) given that the news was not unexpected, and surely could have waited an additional five minutes for the local news to tell me about it. A crawl would have been the perfect solution.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
That was veiled?

[ November 12, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he meant to say that Kama was thinly veiled, not the offer, and just misspoke.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much Tom, much as I love her I didn't *need* thinly veiled K.A.M.A images in my head at the moment. My brain's fuzzy enough right now as it is. I didn't need Kama floating around in there in a lavendar belly dancing outfit. Though I think you might be able to find a giant purple panda and a pink elephant that both hate me living inside this microscope here at work. They seem to be duking it out for superiority cause sometimes the images are being distorted pink and other times they are being distorted purpole. Oh yeah and the customer service guy on this microscope came out yesterday and insisted he fixed the problem by merely jiggling the same cable that I had jiggled 20 times previously.

And while I'm whining (since my life is so much more important than Yasser Arafat dying, consider this your scrolling across the screen announcement) I lost my keys so thorougly this morning that the beeper didn't work and after an hour of ransacking the house I had to get Steve to come home from his work in order to give me the spare, and he managed to find them within 30 seconds of walking in the front door. Maybe I can blame the fever I was running last night and the nyquil for the entire mess.

Yeah somehow life will go on, but right now I'm having a horribly crappy day and it isn't even noon yet.

[Cry]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So what are you doing this weekend? I hear cuddly babies are therapeutic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

curling up in bed and pulling the covers over my head, sounds like a good start for the weekend.
[Sleep]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, did the package get to you safely?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I meant to e-mail but I haven't found time to spit. It got here on Tuesday, I think. It is in safekeeping on a shelf until I have time to work on it. I haven't even opened it, because I don't want to lose anything while everything is such a disaster with putting in the bamboo flooring.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I just *hit* the microscope camera out of sheer frustration.

It is now working. [Eek!]

I should have hit it like I wanted to in the first place!

AJ

Kama
Member # 3022

For your information, I was not thinly veiled when I was posting. I was at work, wearing a warm cozy sweater and warm woolen pants.

Now, however, I am back home, and it's hot in here...

[Monkeys]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, CBS should apologize for the average american caring more about CSI:NY than the death of a crazy foreign leader. I mean, come on, it's o much more important for me to know how to effectively hide my criminal activities than to know what's going on in the world. :Sticks tongue in cheek, stares at floor and shakes head:
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, life will go on.....but not for Arafat [Monkeys]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*

Banna, that sucks. *hug*

If it helps, I share your pain. My tire was flat this morning, so I had to wait 45 minutes for the guy to come and change since I don't have a jack. I then drive to the tire place, wait for twenty minutes, and are then informed that they can't fix it, I'll have to go someplace else. I just got to the office, missed a meeting, am late for a project, and it's 11:30.

Maybe you can wave a picture of me in front of the baby.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

well, then, Katie, what are you still doing reading hatrack? Get to work!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I want to run away to a South Pacific island with Katie and Kama, where we could all be thinly veiled and sit on the beach all day and basque in the sun. (Though thinly veiled Katie would have sleeves covering her shoulders of course.)

AJ

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
basque in the sun.
Is that like when you get a minority group from Spain and lay them out on the sand to dry out?

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The three of you should get together and pose for "Charlie's Angels" posters.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, it wasn't my intention to make the thread take this turn, but I've gotta say, I like it.

[ November 12, 2004, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
All I must say that as a man I'm very tired of hearing people saying they are ashamed to be Americans. The one thing that keeps my spirits bouyed through it all without hate for such thoughts and ideas comes from one of the men that I've served under and respect most in life.

Jay, you know the one thing that makes an American soldier noble is the fact that for the most part no matter how much you abuse him, belittle him, or even kill him. He will always want to go home when the job is done.

Its rather sad today that people will say they are ashamed because our country re-elected bush. Would you say you were ashamed of me or I was a bad person if I voted for him? Would you say I was so intelligent or mighty if I had voted for Kerry? I am not much enamored with either man as they are in my opinion both poor leaders who do not understand how to guide our nation. At the very least I doubt either could heal the current gap between our populations. I say do not be ashamed unless you have done your most for change and failed.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I haven't found time to spit
I've not heard that saying before, is that yours? I want to steal it.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Well, Fox, thw worls *is* laughing at America for re-electing Bush.

Was this alredy quoted?

quote:
In 30 countries a majority or plurality said they would prefer to see John Kerry win the US presidential election. Kerry was clearly preferred in all regions. President Bush was preferred in just three countries—the Philippines, Nigeria, and Poland. Two countries were divided --India and Thailand.

For all countries, on average Kerry was favored by a two-to-one margin--46% to 20%. When country samples were weighted according to their share of the global population the results were not significantly different-- 44% for Kerry, 21% for Bush.

Kerry received his highest level of support from Norway (74% for Kerry to 7% for Bush), Germany
(74% to 10%), France (64% to 5%), the Netherlands (63% to 6%) and Canada (61% to 16%). The one country that gave Bush a majority was the Philippines (57%--32% for Kerry) and two countries gave Bush a modest plurality: Nigeria (33% Bush- 27% Kerry) and Poland (31% Bush -26% Kerry). Two countries were divided: India (33% Bush—34% Kerry) and Thailand (33% Bush—30% Kerry).

from here (a pdf file)

[ November 12, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Black Fox. As much as I could disagree with something somebody in the country did or is doing, I would never be ashamed to be an American. Besides, it's television .

My roommate asked me yesterday (as I flipped through the five channels that we get) if I regretted not asking for cable tv when I got cable internet. I looked at him and asked (insert sarcasm) if there would be anything on worth watching anyway.

oh, and that was all I needed [Roll Eyes] . Now I have three veiled women basqueing in the sun stuck in my head. My mind will run rampant all weekend. Thanks. [Wink]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I don't really like the sun, Stan. Does that help? [Razz]
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama...never underestimate the imagination of a single man. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Is this because of the first post? Frisco never said he was ashamed to be an American. He said that, as an American and presumably an American who likes being American and associates himself with other Americans, these other Americans are embarassing him.
quote:
basqueing in the sun
Banna, I hold you responsible for this. [Wink]

[ November 12, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well the microscop stopped working again and I hit it again and it started working again. Hitting it is actually kind of theraputic.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but I haven't found time to spit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've not heard that saying before, is that yours? I want to steal it.

Honestly, I have no idea whether it is actually mine or not. I often say things that I've read in some book somewhere, so I'm never 100% sure if anything I say is original. You have my permission to use it as if it were an original saying though! I like the idea that I might have said something cool enough to bother plagiarizing.

AJ

Kama
Member # 3022

Nothing is ever original. It's them memes.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really like the sun, Stan. Does that help?
You don't?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Big Grin]

I have this one friend who loves the sun. She made me go to Bulgaria with her. We spent the days on the beach, she sunbathing, and I under the big sun-proof umbrella. It was so hot we couldn't sleep at night. But I gotta admit the pics are great [Razz]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

ElJay, you shouldn't have. I have to go to work sometime this weekend and I need a clear mind to get all the paperwork done. Then it is a metric butt ton of drill sets after that. I need to stay focused. [Wink] [Razz]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Kama and Katie would both need to be wearing sunglasses *and* have beach umbrellas strategically placed to protect themselves from the glare of my pailness.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
pailness
You're wonderful, Banna.

-----

I'm pretty white too. We'd be the ivory kind of angels, I think.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
A metric butt ton? That sounds like a lot.

I'm going to Hawaii in January, speaking of beaches. But I will not be posting pics, speaking of glaring paleness.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
Kama and Katie would both need to be wearing sunglasses *and* have beach umbrellas strategically placed to protect themselves from the glare of my pailness.

Is that beach pail-ness?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ummm, Katie... You haven't seen the latest marketing campain from Victoria's secret have you? There's no way that I have the equipment to pull off being an angel, regardless of the claims their bra ads make.

AJ

Tom will just have to live in dissapointment.

[ November 12, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just *hit* the microscope camera out of sheer frustration.

It is now working. [Eek!]

I should have hit it like I wanted to in the first place!

See, percussive maintenance works!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I want to run away to a South Pacific island with Katie and Kama,
where we could all be thinly veiled...and basque in the sun
."

[ November 13, 2004, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Evil Laugh] Some people don't realize that I see my typos like that just as soon as I type them, but I leave them in because I find them amusing. [Evil]

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

They had Armageddon on last night on TV. (Why we don't actually own the movie I'm not sure, cause like it.) But anyway I watched it last night, while becoming sloshed, just for the scene near the end, when the crazy Russian guy bashes the control panel with a wrench.

"American... Rrrussian... It's all Made in Taiwan!"

AJ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.