FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The English Monarchy has a website!

Author Topic: The English Monarchy has a website!
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, but I never thought a monarchy would have a website.

It is a nice website though English Monarchy

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Read about the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in Focus and test your film knowledge in our quiz

[Dont Know]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The Monarchy has an image to maintain in this world of democracies and republics. A website is an important way of conveying a monarchy's usefulness.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess so. The website really is cool though. There are many moving graphics and other cool looking things.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
In the FAQ:

My great-grandfather worked at Buckingham Palace. Can you help me find out more about him?
The Royal Archives has references to people employed in the Royal Household from the 18th century, and indexes to names of people employed from 1660 onwards. Please put your enquiry in writing, including as much detail as possible, and send it to: The Royal Archives, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ. For earlier periods, contact the National Archives at Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would have known that a Corgi was a member of the royal family? Royal Family
And I like the pretty purple fade out around all the pictures. Classy.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in England, I had a friend, Alice, who was the great great great great great granddaughter of King George IV.

What was really funny was that her parents names were Charles and Diana. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the crown prince is the Prince of Wales and that the Corgis are formally known as Pembroke Welsh Corgis, it isn't surprising [Wink]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've asked this many times, and never really gotten it, but I'd like to try again.

Why do they bother keeping a monarchy? What's the point? They don't seem to do anything except be incredibly rich without ever having to work. Do they exists just to keep the Brittish tabloid industry in buisness?

<-- waaaay to much of a yank to understand.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I used that site a couple years ago when I was writing a paper on the British monarchy. Granted, I only got basic dates off it, but still, it was a fun discovery and entertained me for several minutes.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do they bother keeping a monarchy? What's the point? They don't seem to do anything except be incredibly rich without ever having to work. Do they exists just to keep the Brittish tabloid industry in buisness?
*sigh*

I agree that the Monarchy is quite useless practically. Any one can open ships and hospitals.

What the monarchy is is the symbolic head of state in a country without one. The PM is the head of government, not the head of state. The queen fulfills all the jobs assigned to the head of state, most of which are symbolic.

People like shiny heads of state- they like to bring the queen out of her box and parade her around. Children in disadvantaged school like to have her visit their playground and she can do this, because she has time scheduled for such things.

In the past, the royal family has been a morale booster. Because the present royal isn't that exciting, this has waned, and I don't really expect much from Charles. If William can pull the monarch thing off he has the chance to rebuild it. He also has the chance to destroy it.

I, personally, would be sad to see the monarchy go. It's been around so long.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.