FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don Quijote

Author Topic: Don Quijote
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Don Quijote about?

There's a class that's gonna teach the book, but I want to know whether I'm interested in the book before I debate taking it.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about this insane guy who fights windmills with a trusty sidekick named Sancho Panza. Plus he's in love with this girl who he thinks is also in love with him - he could not be more wrong! And he has some pretty interesting hallucinations.

Set in 16th century Spain if memory recall is operating at above normal efficiency.

Side note: I loved it. Not everyone does. YMMV.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Quixote. I believe it's considered one of the earliest western novels...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember The Adventures of Don Coyote, the cartoon from the early 90s? And his sidekick Sancho Panda?

Good stuff.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Don Coyote was such an awesome cartoon.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Don Quixote is the tale of a man who becomes fixated on stories about "knights errant" (good pun, that). He goes from spending all his time reading about such things to believe that he IS one. He convinces the somewhat less addled, but inherently simple-minded Sancho Panca as his squire. Together they go riding off in search of adventure. The Don is wont to misinterpret the world around him in terms of his master-delusion (that he is a knight errant) with hilarious consequences.

The entire story is set in a time AFTER the disappearance of knights in armor. So, this guy, traveling around in rusty armor, with a stolen barber's bowl on his head as a helm, becomes famous.

The word spreads of his misadventures, in part because Cervantes' book becomes popular -- he actually becomes self-referential in the 2nd half of the book (it's really two books). At this point, people actually start to take advantage of the knight's delusion, primarily for their own amusement.

Sancho often bears the brunt of the jokes or the consequences of his master's misdeeds (property destruction, robbery, etc.) by being beaten to a pulp or turned into an unwitting puppet. He spouts slightly "off" aphorisms much to the annoyance of the Don.

The book definitely rewards patience. It's not an easy read, although perhaps it is better in the original Spanish idiom. The story becomes very engaging though and it gets better as a story as the pages progress. It's a bit flat and uncertain in the beginning, but then I think Cervantes figured out what he was going to turn it into and had a clear enough plan by the time he got to the 2nd book.

I hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.