FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Winter Coat Advice

Author Topic: Winter Coat Advice
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am shoping around for a winter coat, mostly online because I need tall. I came across a coat that I like but I am not sure I want to get it. I am 17 and it might be a bit old, but it is kind of the style I like. If anyone wants to take the time to look at it I would appriciate it.

The coat in question

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Also if anyone knows a good online store that has good quality coats in tall that information would be appriciated as well.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.

[Smile]

I don't think it will be too old, as long as you get one that fits you properly (not too baggy) and wear normal 17 year-old things underneath.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's cute!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie Bauer and Lands'End are the two websites I'd recommend.

That coat looks nice, but depending on where you are might not provide enough warmth in the way something with down would, nor does it appear to be water resistant, which could also be an issue.

As far as just for looks went, I'd say that one was nice.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And llbean.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice looking coat, but very expensive. I'd suggest only buying it if you're planning on getting a number of years out of it...
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

llbean is actually horrible about tall sizes. The have tall pants but no tall coats or tops. It makes me very angry.

It doesn't get too cold here, and it is wool. Next year I will probably be in Georgia so I doubt I would need anything more there.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice. [Smile] Did you want such dark colors? I think you'd look better in something a bit lighter in color.

How about this or this (ooh, I like those colors!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I came into this thread because I'm Canadian and have spent the last two days freezing without electricity, so when I saw that coat my first thought was "that's more of a spring coat." But then I looked at your profile and realized you live somewhere comparatively warm and non-snowy...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a really nice long coat from an online catalogue that fit me great, except that the sleeves were too short. I was very upset.
[Frown]
I ended up just using my little brother's old jacket. I'm in the market for a nice winter coat too, so all I have to say is make absolutely certain the measurements match your body.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I really like both of Rivka's suggestions. I think the color of the second one would look best on you, but I like the cut of the first one better.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

For some reason I didn't even see Rivka's post until a second ago. I do like the first one a lot. It reminded me that Nordstrom.com is a good place to look as well. Thank you!
rivka
Member # 4859

blacwolve, that's exactly how I felt about 'em. [Big Grin]

Allegra, you're welcome. [Smile] Disappointingly, neither Lane Bryant nor Roaman's had any useful long coats. (They do sometimes -- not sure why none currently.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that coat, and looks warm enough, especially with one of those sort of lineny scarves that are fashionable [Smile] .

Sidenote: I just bought a lovely red jacket with a hood and black toggles and in no way is it warm enough for the dead of winter but it's lovely.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

While I was looking for coats I wandered into the dress section. I need a dress for prom as well as one to wear to operas and other such events. I was wondering what people thought of this.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely. Perfect for the opera or orchastra. Not too flashy, but certainly fine for prom if "flashy" isn't your goal.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ooooh, me likey!
Teshi
Member # 5024

Allegra: If you like that dress, go for it. It's useful more than once. My dress... let's face it, I'm never going to wear it again.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the dress is very pretty.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Flashy is not the goal. It is also perfect for solos especially solos with the orchestra. I could see it coming in handy many times. I am entering a solo competition and if I win I will get to play with the orchestra at the next concert. I am hoping this will be another chance to wear it.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the coat, but it might be a little old. Is there a particular reason you want a floor-length coat? I wear a black pea coat ( http://eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=19678&nv=3|21473|103&lview=&cm_cg=C103&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=v1i019 ) for everyday and I have a brown cashmere, rose silk-lined vintage calf-length for formal occassions. I'm not a fan of coats with hoods, but that's just me. I think it ruins the shoulders and makes the line less flattering. I'd go with a pea coat. Also, I'd spend the money to get a good coat - I've had mine for years.

I think that the dress is very elegant and perfect for formal performances, but not for prom.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I know nothing really about fashion but I can say that floor-length coats aren't unusual now among a young crowd- they're not everywhere but I see them enough.

I don't think it would look 'old', although it probably depends, as people said above, what you wear with the coat.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmm. In performances, since the orchastra usually wears black, I've seen many soloists wear a color. It makes them stand out somewhat, and focuses the attention on them. This is your time to shine.

As for prom, I wore a non-traditional dress and never regreted it for an instant. Wear what makse you happy. (That does, of course, go for the performances, too. Just wanted you to consider not blending into the background.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a neutral color coat, and dress it up with classy, elegant scarves.

Like this.

Or this.

[Razz]

(j/k Seriously - I'm not trolling for business on hatrack.)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

That's what I do, Belle - I have tons of hat, scarf, glove sets in bright colors. Do you have any sets in more winter-y fabrics?

I like the cut of this coat, and it's longer than a pea. I'd get it in the black, though.

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2845613&category=2378467~2378483~2384590&PrevStyleID=2768619&NextStyleID=2845614

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be the only person who wondered why an "ankle length coat" only came to the calves of the model....

But anyway, it looks like an ok, casual coat.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I've got about six winter scarves I finished recently, but they are all silk, not cut velvet. I'm dyeing more cut velvet as we speak - but I'm doing on in bright purple, because purple and red are so big right now, with teh whole "Red Hat Ladies" Craze.

I'm planning on doing the leaves again, this time in rust brown. That color dye comes out a really pretty chestnut on silk.

I truly don't want to seem like I'm selling anything, I just like having a place to show off - not many of my friends appreciate garment dyeing and painting. I love it, but it's not really got a big support base, ya know? Now, if I scrapbooked, I'd really fit in with the crowd...

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* wouldn't we all, Belle... [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra, having met you, I can see why you would like that coat -- you are tall, and with a large frame (not fat! I mean you are just have a large frame, like my sister does).

However, from the link (in the first post) it is so hard to tell how that coat would hang. I wish they would show it on a model or maniquin.

Farmgirl

[ November 16, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
They do show it on a model, FG, just click the picture to the left with the model.... [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh...well....duh.

my bad [Blushing]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Being from Georgia, I don't really see the need of a coat that long. I usually get along with a pea coat or like this year I added a longer coat to the mix, it falls at about my knees. Basically, I agree with Ms. M as being a little old.

~~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong with wearing clothes that are "old". All of the coats I have owned over the past five years have been older than twenty years old. I usually don't latch on to trends till they are at least four or five years old. Sometimes much more than that.

If you're sufficiently out of date, you're always in style.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I like the look of long coats, but that's just me.

I want to go shopping with Mrs.M sometime, it would be so good for me.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and most of my coats are long, too. I like long coats.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
You are a cosmopolitian.

That coat does look fairly comfy and yummy and nice. Get it!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I am not particularly big on floor length coats, but I do think they are elegant. I have an Eddie Bauer pea coat, but it is two sizes to big. I thought I would explore my other options before going with the same thing in a smaller size.

I am kind of going for a classy, elegant, simple type of coat. I already know what gloves and scarf I want and I need a coat that will go with them.

I know that soloists often go with a color, but I kind of like the idea of blending in with the color, but looking far more fabulous then anyone else.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a brown cashmere, rose silk-lined vintage calf-length coat!

Now!

(Mrs M, I think I'm going to steal your wardrobe. Just as soon as I work out where you live. And how to get to the US.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Um, and how about if you're the same size as she is?

And digging, by "old" I don't think they're saying "out of style." I think they are saying "styled for an older, probably middle-aged woman, not a late high school/early college woman."

Edit for grammer, 'cause the stickler society has been particularly active as of late.

[ November 16, 2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

digging_holes, I didn't mean that the coat is un-trendy, I meant that it is more appropriate for someone older than Allegra. I only ever buy clothes that I know I'll wear 10 years from now.

blacwolve, I'd love to shop with you. I online shop with several people and it's really fun. Email me if you want.

imogen, that would be awesome - then I could get a whole new wardrobe.

Allegra, here are a couple of longer coats that I think are nice:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2842272&category=2376776~2374327~2374337~2380391&PrevStyleID=2827207&NextStyleID=2843446

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2842012&category=2376776~2374327~2374337~2380391&PrevStyleID=2773819&NextStyleID=2844027

Allegra
Member # 6773

I really like and appreciate all of the suggestions I have gotten. However, none of them come in tall. They all would be wonderful coats, but would look funny because the sleeves would be 3/4 length on me.

I really like the 2nd one that you suggested Mrs.M. If only I did not have extremely long arms.

Edit: How do you the something? And why can't I spell?

[ November 16, 2004, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I love that second one!
ElJay
Member # 6358

*sigh* If I could afford it...
Allegra
Member # 6773

Not too big on mink, but I LOVE cashmere. That coat is beautiful. I have seen many 100% Cashmere coats and I am tempted, but I don’t think my father is 1000 dollar generous. More like 300-400 dollar generous.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*nod* It's the cut and the cashmere that do it for mee in that coat, too. And the style is just about perfect for me. I generally prefer color in a coat, but that one I think would have to be the black.

But, the point is moot. My bank account does not extend to $1000 coats. Particularly not when I am saving for a motorcycle.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.