FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Report From "The Center For Figuring Out Really Obvious Things"

Author Topic: Report From "The Center For Figuring Out Really Obvious Things"
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Bono's an arrogant jerk.

That aside, am I the only one who finds the line "And tonight thank God it's them instead of you" really insensitive? Thanking God for tormenting the people of Africa, as if he had to make somebody miserable and chose them over you?

Wouldn't it be nice if all these stars could just donate money out of their own millions, rather than showing off their "altruism" for everyone to see? It would save us all from having to hear that stupid song every five minutes for the next two months.

[/rant]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Word.

I think the line is meant as a "Yeah, YOU'RE insensitive because YOU thank God it's them instead of you. You bunch of Christmas-enjoying losers!"

Or something like that.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm disagreeing, but why would the new kid boast that his version of the line was better than the orignial in the first place? May we call them both arrogant jerks, please?

[ November 16, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, hasn't Bono actually donated a good bit of his money and time to try to make Africa a better place? All the debt relief stuff?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"why would the new kid boast that his version of the line was better than the orignial in the first place?"

This is what The Darkness does. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bono has spent more time raising money for Africa than he's spent on his entire career.

http://www.data.org/

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
And he makes damn sure every one of us knows it, too. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Four words:

One. Two. Three. Fourteen.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly agree, Carrie. I've spent much longer than I should have trying to figure out whether that was done on purpose or just plain stupidity...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. I'm leaning toward ignorance, but I just can't quite keep up my mind.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kazwailah
Member # 6711

- posted      Profile for kazwailah   Email kazwailah         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that Bono is a great singer from one of the greatest rock bands justifies him in my eyes.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol carrie....my wife is multi-lingual and she was scratching her head about that one too, just last night.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.