FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Condoleeza Rice chosen for next Secretary of State (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Condoleeza Rice chosen for next Secretary of State
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
She has proven to be a willing but not very capable liar. I suspect that we are in for some very embarrassing moments in the months to come.

On the other hand, her accomplishments are quite impressive and she is likely to become a role model in many respects to a great many young people in America.

I only wish she was more committed to the truth as opposed to a party.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
naledge,

I think America is ready for a Black President. The country has been ready. Tiger Woods made us safe and powerful at the same time. We'll still scare the dickens out of some dads, but for the most part, way over fifty percent of the electorate is ready.

There'll be a civil war if he gets shot, though.

[ November 16, 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We'll still scare the dickens out of some dads
[ROFL]

boy, do I have a story or two about that.

quote:

There'll be a civil war if he gets shot, though.

[ROFL] [ROFL]

-nal

[ November 16, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: naledge ]

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
You've been there, too. [Wink]
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-American, Rice is a somewhat disturbing appointment for Secretary of State. Powell had a lot international respect. Rice - while a no doubt brilliant mind - is perhaps the reverse of Powell in this regard. Most people outside the US, I would suggest, see Rice very clearly within the neo-con framework that makes us all so uneasy. For Australia in particular, the loss of Powell is a powerful blow. Without Richard Armitage as Deputy Secretary of State, there is a good chance that Australia will have less of preferential treatment position in relation to US foreign policy as it is likely that policy will be dictated by the Pentagon, rather than the State Department, in this regard. While many of our leading politicians seem to be happy to see the back of Powell (our Prime Minister and Foreign Minister are just as gung-ho and hawkish as Rumsfeld and his ilk), the long-term implications may not be beneficial for our nation.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
PS: If a married woman is elected to the Presidency, what title does her husband receive? "First Lord"? "First Gentleman"? "First Guy"? "Dude #1"? "Top Bloke"?
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.