FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prosecuting Idiots?

Author Topic: Prosecuting Idiots?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Question (legal, and maybe moral too) from my SIL:

While starting to make a left turn, she was forced to stop suddenly. The car behind her hit her. After both turned, my SIL pulled over, but the other car refused and drove off. Turns out there was no damage to my SIL's car (I guess there's one advantage to having an SUV). Can/should she file a police report for hit-and-run? If there's no damage, is there anything to REPORT? [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
She can, and should.

Quite often people are injured but don't realize it until a few days have passed. A report is going to cover her butt if something goes wrong.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say yes, just in case the other idiot tries turning it around and say your SIL hit them

Though I'd say nay to reporting to insurance, especially if no damage.

Maybe a police report, just-in-case.
Did she get a license plate # or any other indentifying info on the perp?

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, she should report it. Did she get the license number?

There are two reasons: First, if she does this again, police will be more inclined to believe the next victim. Second, there may be damage that isn't apparant.

She also doesn't want the other person to report it as a hit and run - first one to report it is more credible for some reason.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that there needs to be damage of at least $400.00 for it to be considered as a hit and run, but I'm not a lawyer.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

She has a partial license plate and a description (sounds like the car was fairly distinctive).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Still worth reporting. With no damage, they'll likely not investigate. But it's always good to have a record.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, guys. She's calling to report it right now. [Smile]
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack saves the day once again [Cool]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, since there was no damage, they couldn't take a report. But they were quite willing to take a statement. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cool. Assuming someone is not calling them every week, police generally would rather get a call about something if the caller has a doubt about whether to report it.

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.