FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A video card question for all the tech people

Author Topic: A video card question for all the tech people
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
My new Dell showed up yesterday, and being the semi tech wennie I am I opened the box and took a look inside.

I found what could be a problem.

I had ordered a 128MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X800 SE video card.

What I got is a NVida GeForce 6800. I am not sure of the video RAM on the card. I will have to dig deeper.

Assuming that the RAM is the same, should I be satisfied with this card or call Dell and demand the one I ordered.

Thanks in advance.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth would you order a new computer without an AGP video card?? Is your GeForce AGP?
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I have no idea.

I picked the best one that was offered for the level of machine I was buying.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
complain.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm not as uber as I thought. PCI Express is better. I just read too past and only saw PCI [Grumble]
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the GF6800 is a 256MB card and the "SE" is the lower end of the ATI line... you might double check the specs on both... the 6800 is NVidia's flagship and is a pretty kick-@$$ card [Dont Know]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ok I just checked and the GeForce card is 256MB and the 6800 is the top series from NVida, so it looks like they did not screw me, in fact it looks like they gave me an upgrade for free.

Cool.

msquared

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
PCI Express is AGP++, folks.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

That is what other tech people here at work say.

PCI Express is better than AGP.

I am happy now.

msquared

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200, which is an APG card, adn UI like it. I know it isn't the best out there, but compared to what I had before (nothing [Big Grin] ) it rocks!

It have good, if not great, graphics, and I have not had a problem with it despite the high end graphics-heavy games I have played.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You actually did get a good deal there. The X800SE is a watered down card. While the straight 6800 isn't the best on the market, it sure is a beast. It has a 30% increase over the 9800 XT, so you should be okay for a while. In all reallity, you got an exact switch. There really isn't much difference (Architecture-wise) between the 6800 and the X800SE.
The only problem is that you got a Dell. While it's better than Compaq or HP, you would have been much better off with a mom&pop build.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.