FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mathematical vocabulary question

Author Topic: Mathematical vocabulary question
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the name (there is a name, isn't there?) for the point in a curve when the slope, which is gradually increasing, is equal to 1?

It has been too long since my last math class. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about a saddle point? Or a maximum?

. . . no, wait, the slope is zero for both of those . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The inflection point, I think, is what you may be thinking of. Where the 2nd derivative equals zero turning from positive to negative (the function switches concave to convex or vice versa). I don't think the slope actually has to equal one at that point, just a constant though. For example:
f(x)=x^3 f'(x)= 3x^2 f''(x)= 6x

In this case when the second deriviative equals zero, the first derivative (the slope) also equals zero.

AJ

[ November 18, 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, I don't think you have given enough context. If the slope wasn't increasing, it would be linear. If you mean the point in a curve where the values of f(x) increase drastically for small changes x, that would be an assymptote.

I don't think that there is any particular name for those types of points.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, I thought that too, but it appears that the strict defn of inflection point is where the slope changes signs.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Not inflection point. I mean a curve where the slope keeps increasing (the curve stays concave). The point before which the rise is less than the run and after which the rise is greater than the run.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I can't think of a name for it. That's not to say there isn't one. I can ask one of my math friends tonight though. However on any function, it would be easy to find the point, named or not. All you do is set the first derivative to one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yeah, I know how to find it. But I really think there should be a name for it. It's a very important point in this particular graph. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I can't think of a name for it. That's not to say there isn't one.
*laugh* That's almost precisely what my mom just said when I asked her.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You know I bet there's a name for it in economics terms. In fact I'm sure there's a name for it in economics, but I can't remember it.
rivka
Member # 4859

*thinks she just figured out what dkw is graphing*

[ROFL]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is one, it's very obscure. I don't think there is, though.

What's the term for change in acceleration, 4 letters, synonomous with rude idiot?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Jerk.

But that's not the point. I need this word.

[ November 18, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Jerk doesn't do anything here, because you can have a point like dkw is describing on an equation as simple as x^2 where the 4th derivative is clearly zero.

AJ

Morbo
Member # 5309

I know, Aj, I was just being cute.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
dkw is being cute, too. [Wave]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

could it have something to do with logarithms? what is the log of a function where the slope equals one?

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

It is apparently called "precipitation transition" if you're graphing rainfall - aquifer recharging. I got all excited and then I realized that that was a content-specific term.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

dkw, I suspect you will only find particular names given to that point in applied mathematics. I don't know that it is as meaningful a point in "pure" mathematics.

AJ

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
d loga(x) = 1/(x lna) so when the slope equals 1 is where x times ln of the base = 1.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Here's a discussion of it with reference to a specific equation:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sarhaus/image/FONSECA/CHAPTER5/fonseca5.html

dkw
Member # 3264

*sigh*

How am I supposed to write mushy love letters when mathematicians won't make up the words I need?

I don’t suppose anyone knows what the discipline-specific term would be in traffic safety research?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Here they set the slope to 1 in genetics
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mga.section.2668

BannaOj
Member # 3206

and here I innocently figured it was for a Sermon Illustration...
dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin]

If I found it, it would probably be used that way eventually. But the immediate use was personal.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.drivers.com/article/303/ (search for "slope")
Morbo
Member # 5309

quote:
How am I supposed to write mushy love letters when mathematicians won't make up the words I need?
Just make up your own jargon, (preferably in this case with a sexy acronym.) That's what mathematicians do. Sometimes it catches on.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Equilibrium Risk Ogive Stochastic--Eros
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*peaks in thread and backs away slowly*
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Would it sound sexier if you said the point at which the slope equals "unity" instead of "one"?

AJ

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm just waiting for Bob to chime in with an answer. Or is he afk today?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

He doesn't Hatrack from work. So this is secure space until at least 5pm.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is apparently called "precipitation transition" if you're graphing rainfall - aquifer recharging. I got all excited and then I realized that that was a content-specific term.
Hey! A term I actually know!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's no real solution.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

[ROFL]

Letter written. Thanks AJ. And thanks kaioshin. Turning this into a pun thread makes it somehow complete.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok:

quote:
Banna, I thought that too, but it appears that the strict defn of inflection point is where the slope changes signs.
This is not true (in other words, you were right [Smile] ). See, for example, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InflectionPoint.html for the correct definition. The wikipedia page is incorrect, or at least misleading; the confusion, it seems, is that some stationary points are inflection points, but there exist stationary points that are not inflection points and inflection points that are not stationary points.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The point of no return?

The vanishing point?

You miss my point entirely?

What's the point?

A pointed comment?

The pointe of developing housing with cutesy names?

Oh, heard a good joke:
What do you get if you cross a pointer and a setter?
A: A pointsetter -- a popular dog around the holidays.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Is it bad that when I read your joke I thought a "pointsetter" would be a tool, like a nail set, and wondered why it would be more popular around the holidays than other times of year? Was actively trying to figure it out what it would be used for before it clicked.

[ November 18, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a dog that points out where all the presents are hidden, silly!

And it is red....

[Taunt]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.