FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One of the downsides to living in a dorm...

Author Topic: One of the downsides to living in a dorm...
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
...when someone burns something in the kitchen at 2 in the morning, the entire building is evacuated.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, at my dorm no one is asleep at 2:00 in the morning. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one is having an insomniac guy with a drum kit and no rhythm living directly above your room. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's when R.A.'s become wonderful rescuing heroes to some, and the evil incarnation of Authority to others. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Another is the lovely surprises one finds in the bathroom
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have acess to a kitchen!?! [Eek!] At 2:00 in the morning!?!

!?!

::green with envy::

Well actually I would've been last year, this year I'm in an apartment so...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
We had one in our basement, but I never tried using it at 2 in the morning.

...the horrible food.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, we have a kitchen... and it's only used by four people, as is our bathroom. It's really like a little flat, with four girls in it, that has two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. That's really all you need!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year we had to evacuate because someone left popcorn on the stove and it caught fire.

Stupid frickin' gamer wannabes.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a kitchen down the hall. I think it's shared between about twelve people but no one's burnt anything yet...

Bella: Don't you have rules against playing the drums at all hours of the morning?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Freshman year a girl downstairs hung a hanger on the sprinkler head. We evacuated at 11 at night and got back in around 5 in the morning.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's having three girls raped in one semester and not getting refunded when you run for your life.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the other RAs coming up to our floor and yelling at a very volatile girl across the hall at 12 30. Then that girl complaining loudly about it with one of the other girls at 3:15 in the morning!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, I like one of my two smoking roommates deciding to bring all her friends into the flat at 2:00 am, and not only make a lot of noise together, but all smoke, so that my roommate and I choke the following morning.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
dorms = [Wall Bash]

When I lived in the dorms, I was in AFROTC, which meant wake-up times ranging between 5 and 6 am. Quiet hours in the dorm were from 10pm until 8 am, I think. Because I had to wake up so early, I tried to go to bed by 11pm latest. With the hallmates I had it was nearly impossible. They'd get drunk and dance around outside my door and yell down the hall for each other or make loud noise in our community bathroom that could be heard all the way down the hall.

After a few times of politely explaining my situation and asking these girls to be quiet, nothing changed. I then asked the R.A. to talk to them after I explained my situation to her. She told me there was nothing she could do and to get over it. I then tried talking to the girls one last time. Again, nothing changed. I went back to the R.A. and told her it was a rule printed in our student handbooks and we had to sign contracts to live in the dorms that stated we would follow those rules and if she didn't try something to get those girls to stop being so loud so late at night/early in the morning, I'd be filing a complaint against her and them. So she talked to them. And made me out to be a bad person because after that, I couldn't go to the bathroom without being called a bitch and if they knew I was alone, they'd call my dorm and tell me I was a bitch. I wouldn't have answered the phone but the school didn't provide us with caller id and it was my only phone at the time. When I made a complaint about the harassment, my R.A. and H.A. both told me to get used to it and that things like that happen in the real world all the time.

So like I said, for me, dorms = [Wall Bash]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
UofA, right? I've heard worse stories about the UofA dorms than I've heard from anyone else.

quote:
When I made a complaint about the harassment, my R.A. and H.A. both told me to get used to it and that things like that happen in the real world all the time.
But in the real world you have legal options. [Smile]

[ November 22, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Am I the only person who's had/having a good experience of living in a dorm?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

No, it's fine by me... the only thing that annoys me is that I'm living with two smokers, when I specifically requested a nonsmoking dorm.

Other than that, it's fine!

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they were dorms at the UofA. And the sad thing is, I was in one of the "better" dorms. There are countless stories of how bad Coronado, aka whore-onado aka nine floors of whores, is. Not sexually, per se, just of loud, drunken idiots. There were also the break-ins where a man(or possibly different men) would sneak into the girls' bathrooms. That happened a lot during my second year in the dorms.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My dorm experience was very good on the whole. The quiet hours were established by the entire floor, and were self-enforced. Men were only allowed on sundays and alternating wednesday evenings.

The only real problem was that for some reason our floor went through a lot of toilet paper, and Janitorial didn't trust us enough to have access to the TP (that cupboard was usually locked). It got really rough on Sundays when the janitors had their day off...

That and the food.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But in the real world you have legal options.
actually, you have those legal options in the dorm as well. I had a friend who had a similar problem with harrasment, and the response of the RA was pretty much the same, so she called the cops, and they delt with it.

Fortunately, my dorm experiences were good. I got along well with my roommates, and while those on my floor were loud at times, they would quite down if you yelled at them. I imagine it would have been tough to get people quite on weekends...but I didn't have to go to sleep early then.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Uhleeuh: Yeah, I friend of mine spent last year at Coronado, and it's as bad as you described. She said the halls always smelled like vomit, and she would regularly run into someone puking in the hallway. She was near the top and got evacuated weekly when some moron would pull the fire alarm. That was where the rapes took place, actually.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that Coronado place sounds an awful lot like Ogg here...

My dorm experience was fine. We had a communal kitchen, but you had to check out a key and sign for it, so if something went wrong, you could easily find out exactly whose fault it was [Wink]

My floor freshman year was great. We all got along, we had an excellent mix of people (except my roommates, oddly enough), and everyone did really well socially. We were sometimes loud, but when someone asked us to be quiet or go in a room, we did. We planned lots of activites, hung out together, and were overall good friends. It was weird. Though I will say that we were the "wild floor" of our dorm, and sometimes the Housefellows (R.A.s to the rest of the civilised world) would refuse to do rounds on our floor. Perhaps it was after we littered the bubbler with inflated condoms and hid to watch the reactions...

No, dorm life wasn't terrible. And my dorm was really close to all of my classes, so that was super-convenient. Now I have to climb the blasted hill every day. Boo.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*Tries to picture what it would take to inflate a condom*

Bleh.

I was in R Hall at Deseret Towers at BYU, and probably had a much tamer dorm experience than average. We got evacuated a few times for popcorn bombs, and sometimes it felt like I was back in high school again. But it wasn't too rough.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The GSU dorms are just dangerous - considering they were built right next to public housing with absurd crime rates and the students insist on propping open side doors.

When I worked the night shift at the GSU lab, the campus cops would come through and give us the inside scoop on some of the stupid and outright scary stuff that went on.

One officer swore he'd never let his daughter stay in those dorms if she went to GSU.

However, my personal experience with dorm life at Montana State in Bozeman culminated in several dry ice bombs.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Dry Ice bombs...yup, did that in college. [Smile]

Good experience, actually. I lived on-campus for 3 years. However, when you factor in how many people can't be considerate of their neighbors, it's easy to see why many students dislike campus housing.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

We're not allowed to do anything or suffer a direct and quick eviction.

[Eek!] I live in a little island of following regulations...

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to point out I wasn't the dumb@$$ who primed three of the bombs, dropped them in a trash can, put the trash can into an elevator and closed the door.

The only saving grace - it was 03:00 in the morning and the elevator opened to a mostly empty lobby.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Except for my first semester when I had a prostitute for a roommate in a single dorm room, my dorm experiences were quite fun.... and I have to say, that the first semester, while not fun, was quite educational. [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.