FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Revenge of the Plague of Locusts!

Author Topic: The Revenge of the Plague of Locusts!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of you can't understand this, but just look at the picture... all those little red dots are LOCUSTS.

They flew in from Egypt, and are now swarming in Eilat, in the south of Israel... they're everywhere, people can't walk without protective anti-locust gear! It's like what the cicada season was SUPPOSED to be like this year, or something. The picture here isn't as good as the one that was in the actual paper today, but I'll look for another article (in English, hopefully), and post it here if I find it. Isn't that crazy?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Google is your friend. : )
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks, PSI!

Also, you can see some more pictures on Y-net!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
To the African Igbo culture, locusts are a good sign.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, in the Israeli/Jewish culture, it's a plague... [Wink]

That's the reason that it's so funny that they're coming from Egypt!

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To the African Igbo culture, locusts are a good sign.
So the destruction of one's crops is a good thing?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be painting my doorway with ram's blood (was it a ram or an ewe? I'm drawing a blank) just in case, if I were you. You can't be too careful.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

lamb?

And I wouldn't be too worried about Raia...she doesn't have a first-born son.

[ November 22, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Maybe they're a good sign when they descend on your *enemy's* crops.

Or maybe something in the environment prevents their populations from building up to crop decimating swarm levels in west Africa.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, lamb. Good, that was going to drive me nuts. I guess you're right though, Raia's safe. She should just encourage all the people she knows with children to do so.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I read it in a book "Things Fall Apart" but Chinua Achebe...

This is from an analysis of the book:

quote:
The locusts come. They are not a threat to Umuofia's staple crops, as they come after harvest, during the cold harmattan season. First, a small swarm of scouts comes, and then a larger group arrives. Their coming fills the Igbo with joy, because the locusts come only once every seven years, and they are delicious to eat.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't mean to say that it's any less of a problem, especially with crops. I was merely offering an interesting piece of information.

It is rather unusual that it's coming from Egypt though.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this thread title was "Cicada's at Tylers!"
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia... You HAVE been behaving... Right?
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Teshi, I read that! I forgot about the locusts...

Mayday... [Monkeys]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*screams*

Seriously.
It's one of my many things I can't deal with. During football season, the band would be in the stands next to those huge light poles -- and in September/Early October, the crickets were out with a passion. I remember one time where one flew into the back of my shirt... [Angst]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
First the Red Sox, now this? [Angst] [Eek!] It may be time for a last-minute conversion . . . or is there time for more sinnin' before the Rapture?
*consults Revalations and a sundial*
Whew, only up to the Second Seal, I've got plenty of time. . . [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
am i the only person that, for just a brief moment, expected this to be a thread about a spazzy, costume wearing metal band?
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
nuts.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.