FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baby Steps Toward Change

Author Topic: Baby Steps Toward Change
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did it. I just applied for a job closer to the community college. I spent all morning looking at majors, courses, and prereqs. I know which classes I need to take over at TCC before I'm ready to apply to FSU. And by announcing it publicly to people I like, I'm hoping it will keep me from chickening out. Wish me courage. After that, the courses should be easy.

(I'm going home now, so I won't see any comments until tomorrow.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck (and courage). [Smile]

Once you get there, you're going to join the circus, right? [Wink]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Avid - it will be tough, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Noles!
[The Wave]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck to ya, and may your courses be challenging and rewarding!
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congrats
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
So what are you going to study?

edit: 'what' is very imporant to that sentence.

[ November 23, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Given what an individualist I am, I'm really surprised to see I've come to this. I still haven't found a good time to tell my Head Teller I'm applying elsewhere. I think I'll just wait until the branch manager gets back Friday and tell him instead. He's not actively mad at me.

Looking back now, I just can't believe how much crap I've taken from these people. The entire market is full of incompetant backstabbers. Why have I been here for almost two years? Everytime someone would leave, I'd think things would get better. I guess I just didn't want to make the concerted effort of going elsewhere. This isn't the first time I've put in other applications. This is just the first time I've been serious about sticking with it until I get a new job.

I think the decision to go back to school is what's making the difference. I've been in the business world just long enough to know I hate it. I need to go be a scientist. For now (I change my mind a lot) I think I want to get an interdisciplinary physics degree with an emphasis on meteorology. I'm going to throw in a little oceanography and geology.

And HE, am I going to study is a good question. That's how I flunked half of what I took at UF. I layed in bed or played on the computer. I'd open the book, look at the pages, and promptly forget what I'd read. I think I was depressed and just not ready to be away from home and my boyfriend. (As long as I'm making a confession, I should probably mention I'm a woman.)

This time, I think I'm ready. I'm not focusing on getting it done quickly so I can get out of school. Now I'm looking at what looks like fun to take. If I take all the physics and earth sciences I want, I won't graduate until spring 09. But I'm ok with that.

So special thank yous to Mike, Trevor, nfl, LA, Mayday, HE, and rivka. I think I'll be ok this time.

~Carrie
(But not the Carrie with the screenname Carrie. Different Carrie. [Wink] )

Edit to add: I thought everyone would be gone for the holidays already, but I got a call from Envision. They've scheduled an interview for Tuesday! I thought it would be at least a week before I heard anything. I guess this is a good sign.

[ November 24, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: AvidReader ]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Well, I had my interview yesterday. It was not a fun day. Our corporate auditor showed up Monday while my Head Teller was still out on vacation. She comes back to the auditor going through the records she's not even sure are correct. I keep pointing out that it's a bit late to do anything about that now, but she's young enough she's never done anything like this before.

So about 11 I started reminding her that I needed to sell her my money so I could buy the drawer out back. Josh still needed to get to lunch and I had to leave at 2:30. She piddled around so I didn't get out back until about 1. Then the drawer wouldn't let me sign on. I called the computer people, they said we needed to delete the operator records. Apparently that was too complicated for her and the manager, because they didn't get me on the drawer until almost 2.

Well, at that point, there was no time for Josh to go to lunch since I had to leave in thirty minutes. And the Head Teller was claiming I never told her I was leaving early. Fortunately, Josh knew enough to go ahead and eat, (This branch is notorious for "forgetting" to get us our lunches. Talk about labor law violations.) so he wasn't starving. Just annoyed.

With any luck, I'll get a new job and be out of here mid-January. I don't get my matching 401(k) money unless I'm employed on Dec 31, so I don't dare turn in my notice until January.

Wish me luck!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! [Smile] (I'd say "break a leg" . . . but, well, maybe I'd better not. [Wink] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Hello again all. Funny story about the internet. When Sprint finally turned loose of us and let us switch to AT&T, the internet service wasn't processed. So when I grumbled about having to call them again, Chet started talking about cable internet.

So I crunched some numbers and we talked about the budget and finally decided that we could afford it. So he called. They want a fifty dollar sign up fee for the priilage of having their internet. Well, Chet didn't like that any. So we went back to the drawing board and looked around.

I found a local ISP that offers both dial up and DSL. They have a fifty dollar deposit for the equipment, but at least you get it back when you stop using them. Chet's still not sure he wants to pay that so in the end, we went with cheap dial up that won't even come on the phone bill while he thinks about it. Ah well. At least we have internet now.

TCC is seriously annoying. I finally found my immunization records (you should all be glad you didn't have to hear that story). I still need to take the CPT since my ACT scores are more than 2 years old. But now I get a letter telling me I need to sign up for a four hour orientation and there's no dates or times listed.

Hello? I work all day. I need to check the vacation schedule and I can't be gone during the 11 to 2 lunch period. How am I supposed to coordinate all that with them if they don't tell me when they're available? They claim to have some other option for people taking night classes who can't come in during the day, so I may check on that first.

At least I'm making progress. Anywho, I'm happy to be back. I hope you're all doing well. If not, I'm sure I'll find that thread soon enough. [Wink]

~Carrie

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.