FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me Learn Russian

Author Topic: Help Me Learn Russian
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I am learning Russian now [Smile] . A major problem I have is pronouncing the russian word "we" "you" and so on, for they all contain this horrible "eee" sound that is not in English.

Now does anyone have any good links to places on how to learn it? Or does anyone have any personal advice?

Thanks!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say get a CD that has someone saying the words that you have trouble with, and keep trying to imitate it...

I'm trying to learn Russian too, but I've just got a book and a CD, so it's going kind of slowly. (I'm still working memorizing the alphabet)

Good Luck!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who speaks Russian as his native language. If you like, I will ask him to record clips of whatever words you want to hear. Let me know.

Good luck!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a native Russian speaker near you to whom you can go for help? The ы sound and the differences between hard and soft consonants are the hardest things about Russian, phonetically speaking. At least for an English speaker. I find holding the tongue back in the mouth is key for pronouncing ы, but you really just have to practice until it sounds right (this is where a native speaker comes in handy). Also, there is sometimes a hint of a /w/ sound interjected: мы is something like /mwi/, not just /mi/. To my ears, anyway.

Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
NYET! Da, Borscht, Vodka, Spasebo, rodina. Only words I know.
Nein, Jaworhl, Ja, Panzerkampfwagon, Blitzkrieg, luftwaffa, are most of the german I know.

Hai, Iye, Neh, Mizu, wakarismasu ka?, wakarismasen, se desu, and a few others are the japanese I know.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of them spelled wrong [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
favorite German word I remember (haven't studied German in years): das Bier. I think it's "das" anyway. phrase: Ich habe ein Bier.

I don't do Russian, Spanish or anything else. English, Bad English, and even poorer German are the only ones I know.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Я говорю русского очень плох и я понимаю его очень плох [Big Grin]

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Same applies to me ^^. But with time, I shall learn!

Thanks for all the advice! I've got a native speaker with whom I'm practicing [Smile] .

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sort of use that.
Later I'll list you a bunch of sites I have been on... Some great sites.

http://masterrussian.com/
http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/russian/index.html
this site is the best but is on stupid geocities
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/7635/alphabet.html
http://www.semiology.com/rwt/index.html
http://opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/onegin1.html
It's Eugene Onegin in Cyrillic.
http://www.karadar.net/Librettos/tchaikovsky_onegin.html
Onegin transliterated

I wonder if Old Church Slavonic existed and furthermore, I want to find Baba Yaga and this poem called Colours in Russian.

[ November 27, 2004, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Learn tee Gloopy Devoushka Cabaka!
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya i du napoachtu Ya i du napoachtu Ya i du napoachtu Ya i du napoachtu Ya i du napoachtu
peeslot peesmo peeslot peesmo peeslot peesmo peeslot peesmo peeslot peesmo peeslot peesmo
Ya i du napoachtu peeslot peesmo Ya i du napoachtu peeslot peesmo Ya i du napoachtu peeslot peesmo Ya i du napoachtu peeslot peesmo

(Sorry I'm only passing on to you what the people on tape did to me when I tried to learn russian- are you bored to tears yet? If not simply hire a guy with a boring voice to repeat those words over and over again.) Hope this helps.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if Old Church Slavonic existed
It sure did, and does, since it's a liturgical language of the Orthodox Church in Russia.

I had to study it for a semester as part of my graduate degree in Slavic Languages. I can't speak it or anything, but I can read some of the Gospels and make out bits and pieces of the liturgy.

And then there's THIS, which was evidently done by a student of Old Church Slavonic with WAY, WAY too much time on his hands.

(I THINK it's a translation of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," but I'm not 100% positive. Only one semester, and all that.)

[ November 29, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Learn tee Gloopy Devoushka Cabaka!
Actually, that would be "gloopaya devoushka-sobaka." But either way, it won't exactly impress the girls. Try walking up to them and instead saying, "Ya -- goluBOY malchik."
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
OH COOL! I wonder if DMITRI SANG IN OLD CHURCH SLAVONIC!!! SO NEET!

Now, if someone could just find me Baba Yaga stories in Russian so I can learn to say my Bright Dawn which is useless, but so cool sounding?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I speak German like a North Hessen hick. I speak Spanish badly and write Spanish quite eloquently. I speak English very well.

In German, I can curse the sky blue.

Verdamtnamal!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Ya -- goluBOY malchik."
Yeah, that'll impress the girls. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.