FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stop my mother before she controls again! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stop my mother before she controls again!
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. A distant relative of mine died last week. These are people that I’ve supposedly met as a small child, but I don’t know them. I’ve never spoken to them that I remember, but they remember me from when I was little. My mother called and gave me this man’s widow’s phone number and said, “You should call her.”

I told her no offense, but I didn’t really want to call this lady that I do not know. I had barely even heard her name before this instance. It would be obviously contrived for me to call her, since I would have never spoken to her before that day. I didn’t see any reason for me to call her. I don’t even think the man that died was technically related to me by blood. They are basically strangers.

So 24 hours later I get a call from Mom, saying that she told Kathleen I wanted to call her and that Mom had given me her number. She made it sound like I had asked for the number in my concerned state. She told me that Kathleen was looking forward to my call.

There’s no way I would have called this woman on my own terms. I am sorry she lost her husband but she wouldn’t even have known who I was if I had called and said, “This is Maureen.” I would have to explain whose child I was, and all that stuff. But now I feel obligated to call because I don’t want this poor lady to be expecting my call and be disappointed when I don’t.

This wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t a pattern. Mom always does stuff like this to me. I know that if I call this woman, Mom will see that her technique still works and continue to use it in the future. However, if I don’t call she will likely never use it again because she doesn’t like to be made to look bad. She doesn’t like to be considered a liar.

So not calling would probably get me out from Mom’s thumb somewhat, but it would also leave a sad lady who doesn’t really need any more sadness. Calling would make Kathleen a little happier, but it will guarantee that Mom will do this to me again, or even worse.

What would you do?

[ November 27, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

- posted      Profile for Jar Head   Email Jar Head         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a formal call of condolence, one of life's unpleasant duties. I think it is appalling that your mother still has manipulate you into doing unpleasant grown-up tasks. It shows that you still need a mother very much. Make the call and do your best to offer sincere sympathy and then go grow up a bit.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So can I assume that you make sure to call people down the street that you don't even know when they have unfortunate events?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, ignore him... he's proven himself to be immature and insensitive in more threads than one. He doesn't deserve your attention.

Your situation is a tough one... [Frown] I don't know what to tell you. I think I would make the call, but I think you need to have a talk with your mother. Tell her that this is what she's doing, and how much it's bothering you. But I agree that now it's a bit late not to call Kathleen... I'm sorry.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ah, thanks Raia. I had not had the pleasure of making meeting Jar Head yet.

Your advice is good. I'm considering it. In other words, I am beating myself mentally to force myself to do this thing. : )

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If what your mother said was true, you probably need to call because now she is expecting your call. However, a short "We were so sorry to hear about your loss, where can I send flowers." would be sufficient. Then do send some card or flowers.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

My major concern here is that talking to my mother does not work. Yelling, screaming, ignoring, being sweet, being respectful...none of those things phase her as long as you're doing what she wants. I can talk to her all I want and she'll smile and say, "I'll consider that. I never thought about it like that before. Thanks for telling me." and she's really nice about it, but next time she will do the exact same thing. That's what's frustrating about her. She acts like she's listening. It would be easier if she would argue, because then I wouldn't have to feel so bad about not answering her calls and things.

I'm calling Kathleen. But at this point I think I need advice on how to get away from my mother.

Raia
Member # 4700

Do you have any siblings? If so, do they have similar problems with her?

Maybe if you all talked to her together... would that help?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No siblings. She would probably be less controlling if I had some.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tell your mother that you called, and if she asks, tell her you will not be manipulated into anything and she shouldn't have spoken for you. She won't talk to the woman to make sure you called, right?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yes, she will.
Raia
Member # 4700

Ok, if no siblings... how about your dad?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

My parents are divorced, partly because she pulled the same crap on him. He's been trying to get her to stop for the past twenty-five years.
Raia
Member # 4700

*wince*

Hmm...

katharina
Member # 827

The title of this thread implies you don't resent your mother's handling of things enough to want it to stop completely. [Wink]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Fine, I will fix it. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. I'd send a card, and mention that you are sorry for her loss, and leave it at that. If this poor lady is upset you didn't call, it's not your fault, it's your mom's. If your mom brings it up to you, it's the perfect time to ask her not to do that again.

It's rough, but you have to be firm. Tell her that you value having a continued relationship with her, but it won't happen if she doesn't stop trying to manipulate you. Be pretty straight with her; it's better to get this over with now than have a lifetime of hurt. *knows from experience*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Stop your other?
katharina
Member # 827

*grin* You, of course, always always welcome and it's great to ask for advice for things, but I think independence is one of the things that will only happen when you want it enough to not ask for permission for it from anyone.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, I doubt Kathleen is sitting waiting for your call - as you said, she doesn't know you, and you're not likely to be at the top of her thoughts right now. In similar situations I dreaded hearing from people with a similar or even less remote relationship than you have. Speaking on the phone was difficult - talking to strangers even more so.

I would send a nice condolence card, so Kathleen can know you have sympathy without having to "perform" when you call her.

Tell your mother what you did, and emphasize that any awkwardness that might occur is the direct result of your mother's lying (you can pick a less combative term if you want).

The only way out of this is to simply let your mother refuse to obligate you, and the only way to do that is to do what you would have done absent her interference. This means sometimes doing what she's attempting to manipulate you to do, if that's what you would have done. It also means letting your mother bear the brunt of any confusion that results when you don't follow her lead.

If someone ever says, "I thought you were going to do X," simply say, "I don't know why my mother told you that." It's rough, but you have to rely on your own judgment. Otherwise, you will eventually cause someone unintended pain in a situation where you knew better than your mother.

Dagonee
Edit: ketchupqueen is wise, and a faster typer than I.

[ November 27, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than calling this Kathleen (who, face it, doesn't know you either, and probably would appreciate your call but is hardly going to be devastated if you don't), call your mother and say "Mom, I honestly don't know why you do this. But this time, I'm not doing it. I don't know this woman, and while I am sympathetic, I have nothing of any value to say to her. If you'd like to give me her address, I'd be happy to send her a card. In the meantime, please don't commit me for anything in the future without consulting me first, because I guarantee I will not do it. Even if I would have wanted to do it had you consulted me." Then stick to your guns.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The only danger with the never do what the mother commits is that this gives the mother a sure-fire way to prevent her from doing something.

I don't know if that would be an issue, but manipulative people are generally good at it and use any tool available.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

See, I generally try to do what I would have done anyway, but I felt bad for Kathleen. I really don't know how she'll feel if I don't call. I can't imagine that she'd get any benefit from it. I'd hate for her to think I was the one lying though.

quote:
I think independence is one of the things that will only happen when you want it enough to not ask for permission for it from anyone.
I don't see that I'm asking permission. I was trying to figure out if it was worth it to hurt the lady to achieve that end. I see a difference.

[ November 27, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

katharina
Member # 827

I'll bet Kathleen forgot that part of the conversation 30 seconds after it happened. She's definitely not waiting around for you to call her. This is a much bigger deal to you and your mom than to her, I think.
Raia
Member # 4700

That's the problem with fighting your mom. While you and she may know the truth, others will see things as your mother paints them. [Frown]

(edit: That was to PSI's comment, not Kat's)

[ November 27, 2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the condolence card is a much better idea than a call to someone you don't know. I agree with the others who said that Kathleen really won't miss a call from you, but will really appreciate a note.

I don't much care for speaking to anyone on the phone when I'm really upset.

L

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

You are probably right, Kat.
jmj
Member # 7061

- posted      Profile for jmj           Edit/Delete Post 
What a tough situation.... I don't know how you are with awkward situations with total- or near- strangers, but I would definitely send a card. Or can you leave a message when you know she'll be out (like at the wake or funeral)?

The really difficult thing I'm getting about the situation with your mother is that there are no other people close enough to give you additional insight (or to help take the pressure off). Good luck.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go with Dag's suggestion. Make a gesture of sympathy to Kathleen in your choice of formats - card, call, whatever - because that is appropriate given the circumstances. I'm not sure if I would confront Mom and tell her what you did or if I would just drop it until Mom brings it up again (and I get the feeling from your posts that she will).

Since both your father and you have been trying to deal with this behavior from her for your entire life, it's fairly apparent that she will never change. I might suggest complete avoidance for a time and see if that makes any difference at all. If nothing else, it would reduce your immediate stress level from her telling you what to do as if you don't know what needs to happen. At best, she may realize that things ahve changed and maybe be open to a real discussion of what's wrong.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody beat me to it.

My mother is the same way and it drives me insane - to the point I couldn't stand being in close proximity to her.

And while I do realize I'm treading on thin ice here, I'd suggest blocking her email and even blocking her telephone number.

After a month or so, unblock the number and explain exactly what you did and why.

If she persists, just leave her number blocked.

Of course, I'm not on speaking terms with either of my folks, so my slash-and-burn technique may be a tad drastic for what you want to accomplish.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know that she doesn't remember you. Apparently your mom does know, I'd go with that; sidebaring any stupid feelings about your mom, none of that matters. Do you know how people are after family members die? You should seriously call her and talk to her anyways. I haven't known people that knew me when I was little, and MAN did it excite them to see how I was doing, and just to talk to them for 5-10 minutes. Five to ten minutes isn't a life sentance, and quite frankly I agree with JarHead.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I do know what family members are like after people die, and I was forced to talk to people I didn't know and put on a charade where I pretended to care when a random stranger who was never around when they were alive pretended to be sad they were gone. A card is fine, and that would be lovely.

[ November 27, 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with Trevor's advice. Call the lady, but don't give your mother opportunity to pull this again. Tell her if she attempts to manipulate you again, you're perfectly willing to sever ties of communication with her.

Honestly, I see little reason for filial gratitude here. A parent is supposed to do what is best for their child, and this kind of manipulation doesn't fill her end of the bargain. If she tries to pull the guilt card, just remember that.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course your mother told you Kathleen was looking forward to the call. She said it for one of two reasons -- as additional manipulation (my first guess) or because Kathleen is a very polite person and what else would she said about the child of someone she's talking to? What else would she say but "I'm looking forward to the call." That doesn't mean she even remembers the conversation now. I would definately go with the card. You can say something kind without putting pressure on her to have a conversation with someone she doesn't know. It also establishes your independence. And when Mom asks if you called or tries to manipulation you into other things always put it back on her. "Why would you think I would do that?" "Why would I bother someone I don't know?" "Why would you ask me such a personal question?" Then her motive (and her inappropriate behavior and rudeness)rather than your compliance are the topic of the conversation.

[ November 28, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: kacard ]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Jar Head and rav, I disagree; I definitely know what family members are like after someone dies (unfortunately, I have had some very recent experience with the death of my fourteen year old cousin), and I know that people have other things on their mind. While I think that since her mom promised, PSI should do it this time, I don't think that you should be brushing the matter off like this. Today was my cousin's funeral, and several people came up to give me hugs and say "You don't remember me, I knew you when you were this tiny little redhead!! I'm so sorry for your loss, and this is a bad time to meet new people." While they acknowledged that it was a difficult time for everyone to start trying to remember each other, it still got very frustrating when I was crying, and people came up and said "Oh my goodness! Last time I saw you, you were four!", especially when you're clueless as to who this person is.

I think PSI should make the call, but I think she needs to talk to her mother... though with what she said about that not succeeding, I'm sorry dear, I wish I could help you figure out what to do... but I wish you luck in making her stop that, it's really manipulation that shouldn't be tolerated. [Frown]

(Btw, I hope that post was coherent, my cousin's wedding today, and I can barely see through my tears... I don't know what I'm saying. It probably didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I hope my point came across alright.)

Jar Head
Member # 7018

Raia thinks I am immature!! [ROFL]

I have been a grown man longer then you have been complete chromosome set. I do not take a poll to know what to do, I have my own yard stick. Until you have the personal strength to muck out the stalls, shoot the sick dog, and stand up to the bullies never question my maturity.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

No, Raia doesn't think you're immature, Raia knows you're immature.

Maturity is not all about age... once you prove yourself somewhere to have something sensible to say, maybe I'll change my mind. I don't care that I'm younger than you. I pity you that you need a teenager to tell you the truth.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, her telling you you are immature IS standing up to the bullies, and age is no determiner of maturity.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the ability to stop and ask for directions.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

I don't. You haven't. Don't make me be insensitive, I can't take another Raia hug-fest. My condolences on the loss of your cousin.

I also note that your last post agrees with the course of action I outlined. If the action I arrived at is the same how can you disdain it? or were you reacting in that childish knee jerk way because some of us trivialized your bully issue? How mature is that?

Jar Head
Member # 7018

If I am a bully to you then you have never faced anything close to the real deal, I mearly have a different opinion. There must be better then this here! These are the lovers of the man who wrote Ender's Game!
Raia
Member # 4700

You know what, I can't respond to that now... I'll probably say something I'll regret later. My emotions are a little frenzied today.

There probably is far better than me here, let those people all jump at your throat as you deserve, I'm outta here.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And a man who loves Ender's Game kicks someone while they're down.

Worthy of the child Ender.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Head... you're only proving her point hotshot. Being that you are an immature a-hole. The way you talk I have serious difficulty believing that you are a grown man. There's nothing I can see on the net to prove that to me aside from the way you post, and the way you post comes far closer to the typical over confident teenage boy who thinks he's hot stuff cause he can kick butt at Counter Strike (I've seen a lot of these) than the mature inteligent adults who make up the majority of the posters on this board.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably because you told psi to grow up a bit. Many people have said to go ahead and call or write a letter, but you are the only one who was so rude as to suggest that psi was immature because she was put into an awkward position by her mother.

Apparently, you are the one who needs to grow up if you would still allow your mother to manipulate you and not say anything about it.

And you are being a bully. Many people have had differing opinions on what to do here, but only you told her to grow up. (In my head, it sounded a little more like, "Suck it up, you wussie. Quit you're bitching, be a man and do what you know you should do. Kids today. [Roll Eyes] It kind of made me wonder if you had to walk 3 miles in the snow to school, uphill both ways. Could you buy a loaf of bread and bologna for a quarter?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

Gas was $.35 dollars... [Wink]

I never said she should let her mother manipulate her, I said that a grown-up would have done it without the manipulation. Remember she was asked first then manipulated.

As to kicking someone when they are down, well what is the point of getting them down in the first place if you are going to help them up?

However the truth is that I never put Raia down, if she is down then it would be best if she not pick fights until she is able to handle them. Attacking a person while you are down is just not bright.

Don't start nothing, won't be nothing as we truckers like to say.

mackillian
Member # 586

The child Ender.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, mack, does Ender (even as a child) deserve to be insulted that way?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Probably not.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

More proof that age and maturity are very different concepts.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.