FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Fugu! - css help needed!

Author Topic: Hey Fugu! - css help needed!
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, o master of css, I'm having some issues. This time IE is getting it right (wonder of wonders) while firefox is just not getting it...

I'm trying to apply a specific pixel height attribute to a list that's set to display inline. The list is an a menu generated from a CMS, so it's got a few different classes and IDs, in addition to UL, LI and A tags. I've applied the height attribute everywhere I can think of.

The text area of the <a> tag displays padding and margins properly, but the height attribute only seems to take in IE in the text areas - Firefox just shrinks both the a and the li tags - I'm not entirely certain.... my brain's a bit fried at this point...

If you have any clues, that would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/inline-format.html

Essentially, inline elements don't have the box model. Which makes sense, how do you describe the height of an element that doesn't have a distinct shape? Instead, you use line-height to give the height for each line. There are some good examples on that page.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Danke!

Should've figured that one out myself. Heh.

[Hail]

And while we're on the subject is there any way to disable Moz text zooming using css?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*smacks Troub's hand*

Bad Troubs! Bad!

Seriously, disabling text zooming is both 1) not possible (at least not without considerable hacks) and 2) a bad idea to try. In fact, writing web pages that accomodate text zooming is considered good web design. Simply put, a lot of people don't read as well as we do. They need to be able to enlarge text one way or another in order to see it, and the easiest way to do that is through browser text zooming (for web content, of course).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

lol - I'm well aware of the... er... 'political' ramifications of not allowing text-zooming.

Normally it's something I accomodate for and in fact most of the design wouldn't be in jeopardy if someone set their font to size 76. However the menu is going to rely on some fairly specific height dimensions and I'm trying to avoid doing it statically.

Apart from the fact that it doesn't work properly, I'm pretty happy with it. [Wink]

fugu13
Member # 2859

There's one semi-hack that's considered somewhat acceptable.

Create the menu as normal, but instead of trying to get the text to fit in a certain space, set the text to not display and put a background image of what you want the text to look like on the parent element of the text wrapping element. Of course, this has the whole display for people with bad eyesight problem thing, so its usually only done for fairly large text, but it works, and keeps the list fully accessible to screen readers.

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Danke!

The only word I understood in this whole thread was in german. Seriously, you guys are just making this stuff up to make the rest of us feel dumb, right?
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Yeah, I actually considered that, but I'd have to hack the core files of the content management system I'm using to make it work.. lol
fugu13
Member # 2859

Which CMS?
Troubadour
Member # 83

Mambo
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Mambo good.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh.

I have heard good things about Mambo, though I tend to Drupal when using a prepackaged one.

Troubadour
Member # 83

Yeah, mambo's excellent...

I love the templating system and it just looks so professional on the backend. My clients love how easy it is to work with too.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Mmmm, clients.

I really should get me some of those.

*goes back to work on redesigning website*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

If you want clients, remember you're not selling technology.

Your selling a business advantage: greater efficiency, communication, increased capacity, new markets - something that reduces costs, increases revenue, or both.

My most successful pitches were maybe 10% technology at most.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*nods*

A large part of the problem is finding time and contacts who need or will in the future need consulting of the sort I do done (not to mention making sure I find out in time to make a pitch [Wink] ).

Dagonee
Member # 5818

If I ever get a lead you'll hear about it. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

Thanks Dag [Smile] I'd be happy to take business away from the partner you seem to have a bit of a problem with, too [Wink] .
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, he still owes me money, so I don't want him out of business.

Yet.

Troubadour
Member # 83

Good point Dag, something I always am careful about - it's always about "solutionising" their business, as my friend at IBM puts it...
fugu13
Member # 2859

*sighs* would that people would get hired for actually solving problems [Wink] .

Actually, I'm decent at pitching stuff, comes from dealing with college bureaucracy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.