FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm gonna be so fired tomorrow morning... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm gonna be so fired tomorrow morning...
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered a 20 cubic foot bag of packing peanuts and I taped it over the President's door.

I then closed his door and attached a fishing line from the inside door handle to the bag opening.

I couldn't really test this to make sure it opens the way it should, but I hooked fishing weights to the lip of the bag so the extra weight will help tug the bag open.

Heheheheheheheheh. [Evil]

Of course, he probably won't fire me until after January - the busiest season of the year, but c'mon...it's not my fault they sell a 20-cubic foot bag of packing peanuts for $25.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...why?

Pictures. Did you remember to get pictures?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I put an email in to a co-worker who has a video camera. I can't call the house because he comes in early and he and his wife have a newborn and I'm not gonna risk calling at this late hour.

So I don't know if I'll be able to post pictures or not...actually, my roomie has a digital camera...hmmm.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
now, how would one go about ordering a 20 cubic foot bag of packing peanuts (i'm working on senior pranks, and i think filling my principles office with these might be kinda fun....)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
eeeeevil, I tell ya! Cool, too! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Uline Packing Peanuts

They have a distribution point in Atlanta, so I didn't have to pay shipping. With tax, it came out to $25 and change - no more than $26.

To fill someone's office, it may take more than just one bag - but it's money well spent. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: That must be a tall woman because I'm 6' and the bag was almost as tall as I am and I couldn't wrap my arms all the way around the middle.

[ November 28, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm.....contribute to the delinquency of a minor much?
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you suppose they pack them with when they ship them? :blinkblink:

Oh, and T, I came into this thread all prepared to offer sympathy and good vibes. [Razz]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Oh boy... I just found out how much '20 cubic feet' means. o_0 I have one question: why? And I think I know the answer: Because size DOES matter!

I'm having 'Super size me' deja-vus...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, now if i get people to chip in, i can fill his office 4 feet deep for about $200... i like this idea...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope your princiPAL has a good sense of humor. [Big Grin]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I appreciate the formerly good thoughts El, but if I do get sacked tomorrow, it'll be entirely my own fault. [Big Grin]

And if I don't get canned for this gag, the next one will:
  1. Win me the million dollar prize on America's Funniest Home Video
  2. Posthumously because my direct manager will kill me after she's done screaming. [Evil]
-Trevor

Edit: For an incomplete thought.

[ November 28, 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

His sense of humor varies on how well identifiable the culprit is, I'm thinking about a polaroid picture of myself on the outside of his door should do the trick [Big Grin]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Mildly silly question - can you get access to his office without opening the door?

Can you pop the ceiling tile, for example and access the interior of his office?

-Trevor

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Answering this question is a tad bit incriminating, but yes you can... and thats how I'm going to fill the room with-out loosing a single one outside his office.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Instead of filling his office, create a small pouch of saran wrap lining his door with the pouch on the inside of his office - then fill the pouch with packing peanuts.

When he opens his door, he'll be caught in an explosion of peanuts. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else, but if I came to my office, and it was filled with package peanuts, I would give whoever did it a raise.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, I was just thinking you'd use a piece of flexible but relatively stiff plastic, like one of those roll-up sleds, for instance, to make a fence by the door, and then as you are leaving untape the far side and pull the fence out through the door crack. A lot less work than going in through the ceiling for the same result.

Oh, but that wouldn't be as fun, would it?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

ooo i like that idea... it involes less peanuts... which means it's cheap enough i can go in on it alone...
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be a killjoy, but dude, didn't you just get this job?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Throw in a candy bar, too [Smile] Like maybe a bag of Peanut M&M's, just to further enhance the joke and add more humor.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Megan, it's called 'Living on the edge'!

Ride on, Trevor! [Big Grin]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Before I turned 30 I told my somewhat mischievous employees that if I saw any black balloons or streamers or anything at my desk when i came in I was turning around and leaving again, as 30 is not old, or over the hill, or whatever. They all smiled and agreed.

So instead, the underneath of my desk and tables and everything was stuffed full of helium balloons, so much that I couldn't sit down and work without pulling them out. And they didn't have strings on them, so they all floated free to the ceiling. But I couldn't see them when I came in, so I stayed. At least they weren't black.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Yeah, well - some things are just too tempting to pass up. [Big Grin]

And the rumormill has it I may be getting approached about the other job offer tomorrow or early in the week.

So I'm not completely hung out to dry - and as I say, it would take them too long to bring in and train a replacement who was completely unfamiliar with the nuances of my current company and their current client before the January chaos. [Evil]

-Trevor

Edit: For completeness.

[ November 28, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Megan
Member # 5290

Are you at work right now? If not, sign in to MSN! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I am at work and I had to loan my laptop to a friend, so I won't have a machine when I get back to the apartment - sorry. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, fine. Well, I wouldn't count my styrofoam chicks before they're hatched, that's all. [Big Grin] But, I might just be cranky because a) I'm sick and b) it's bedtime. Goodnight! [Wave]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't get fired, you've found the place to work for the rest of your life. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in college, we filled a couple garbage bags with fresh popcorn and buried a friend napping on the couch. It was a beautiful sight -- she was totally under a mountain of popcorn... and then came the sound of happy munching [Smile]

On a related note -- has anyone ever filled a room with balloons? I saw this in the "Patch Adams" movie (it was in the book, too -- one of the few things in common with the movie, which was almost entirely made up).

I'm thinking of trying this for a party sometime, but I don't know how much it'd cost to rent a tank (tanks?) to inflate all the balloons... and then there's the question of how long it'd take to fill the room to at least 6' high... letsee, assume a 12' x 12' room, filled 6' high, that'd be 864 cubic feet... assume each balloon occupies a cubic foot... take off, say, 300 balloons, for inefficient stacking... say, 550 balloons... pretend it takes 10 seconds to fill and tie off a balloon... that'd take at least 90 minutes to fill a room, eep... hmmm... maybe a smaller room with some furniture in it, that'd be easier...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

plaid, the balloons idea is wonderfull, I liked it in the movie! Or you could get one big balloon to fill the entire rooms... o_0
plaid
Member # 2393

Hmm... yeah, like get a weather balloon, like they used for "Rover" in The Prisoner -- we could all stand around the weather balloon and press our hands and faces into it like we're Patrick McGoohan being smothered by Rover...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
We opened a beanbag chair and shot the styrofoam crumbs under someone's door with a shop vac in college.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

plaid, I haven't seen The Prisoner, but your post really made me laugh! :presses face against LCD screen: Do you see me?!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On a related note -- has anyone ever filled a room with balloons? I saw this in the "Patch Adams" movie (it was in the book, too -- one of the few things in common with the movie, which was almost entirely made up).
My father and I did this to his boss when i was a teenager. We didn't completely fill the room though as we ran out of balloons.

As I recall, we had 2 gross - 288 balloons - and one large - taller than I was at the time - helium tank. I know we had some helium left but I don't know how much. The room was probably between a third and a half filled from the ceiling down, with a plastic tarp used to keep the doorway clear for access. Took us about 2 hours because we had only the one tank and were fighing with tying knots as we went.

Can't help you on prices because I don't know what tank rental fees might be, but knowing we had one large tank should help you to figure it out.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
stryker, I will give you $5 towards the principal prank.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Update - well, I'm still employed and the trigger misfired.

I didn't take enough slack out of the knot so when the door opened, pulling the string, the knot would come undone completely.

But I did pull the bag down while the president was in his office, so he knows what almost happened and he still didn't fire me. [Big Grin]

I did take a picture of the bag in position, which I will post at some point.

-Trevor

ElJay
Member # 6358

Awwwwww. All that work for nothing...
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
What, he didn't fire because it did NOT work? I hope this is not a reflection on how well you perform your other duties. [Razz]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The assumption being, if I had managed to cover him in 20 cubic feet of packing peanuts, my job status might be in some dispute. [Big Grin]

And yes, all that planning and effort wasted - I knew I should have tested the pull with a smaller bag....grrr.... [Evil]

-Trevor

Edit: For typo

[ November 29, 2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT fill a room full of balloons for a person with hyperacusis! My husband is very sensitive to sounds, and popping balloons causes him severe physical pain. He didn't think it was funny to find our bathroom full of balloons when we came back from our honeymoon. My daughter is not allowed to have balloons in the house unless they are the Mylar kind.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Next time you need to fill his room with popcorn kernals wrapped in tinfoil and program a space laser to pop them when he comes into his office. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Patrick McGoohan being smothered by Rover
I'm so proud that I recognised the reference.

That is all.

EDIT: Also, I thought you meant real peanuts! I just call them "bits of styrofoam". I though "Wow, having those fall on your head would be painful!"

[ November 29, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

REAL peanuts... now, this I could actually do, since we make peanut butter here. We get the peanuts in big giant 2,000-lb. superbags (about 5' x 5' x 5') that get hefted by a forklift to bring over to our roaster.

Of course, since real peanuts probably cost us at least a dollar a pound, that'd be a VERY expensive prank... [Razz]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey plaid! I dunno if you read my thread about my mouse problems or not, but please note this part:

quote:
So I bought traps, and I've never had much luck with traps. The instructions always recommend using peanut butter for bait, and I've only ever caught one mouse that way. I usually end up plugging gaps with steel wool and poisoning the things... but this mouse had shown me its weakness.

I filled the bait cups with pea... well, cashew butter. I don't have any peanut butter. And pressed a chocolate chip on top of each one. How could it resist?

Guess what brand of cashew butter I used? The only brand of nut butter that's been in my house for ages, in fact? I noticed the lable this weekend and connected that it came from your community... I had never thought about it before. So, while "makes great mouse bait" isn't exactly a glowing recommendation, the reason it was used is because I like it so much that it's all I buy. [Smile] Anyway, just thought it was kinda cool that I "know" somebody that lives there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled prank thread...

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll offer $5 and a picture of you in the peanuts to the pricnipals office fund. And it isn't incriminating to know you can be up in the ceiling, we've all been there. I also have the screen name of a south graduate that would give you a few tips.

This was all to jt stryker

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Stryker, your not even a senior yet. Why are you planning so early? I would think Doyle would be your target before Fletcher.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my 4-H leader, he's been planning seniors pranks since 7th grade. Oh and it's not doyle or fletcher.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I started planning after my older sisters failed miserably with theirs... and I'm planning on getting the principal that is most likely to take it with a grin.
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Guess what brand of cashew butter I used? The only brand of nut butter that's been in my house for ages, in fact? I noticed the lable this weekend and connected that it came from your community... I had never thought about it before. So, while "makes great mouse bait" isn't exactly a glowing recommendation, the reason it was used is because I like it so much that it's all I buy.
ElJay -- ha! You and your mice have good taste, cashew butter's my favorite too.

Using it for bait is a great idea. Sometimes we get phone calls from people who've just discovered a jar of nutbutters in the back of their fridge, and they're wondering if it's still good after seven years ("er, probably not"). Now at least I recommend that they save it to use for mouse bait... [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.