FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want some rubber pants

Author Topic: I want some rubber pants
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I put up Christmas lights over the weekend. The pitch of the roof on our new house is much steeper than the one at our old house. The entire time I was up on the roof, I kept thinking I was going to slide off. I think rubber pants would have given me a much higher coefficient of friction to work with than cotton.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
:was thinking of the kind you wear over diapers, when I saw the thread title:

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
My reputation is bad enough without mentioning what I was thinking when I saw the thread title.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

By the way -- I always work barefoot on a roof -- much better gripping with my feet than with shoes...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the same thing Farmgirl.

Bare feet do help give you traction on a roof, but if you're up there in the middle of summer and don't have fairly thick callouses, you can end up burning your feet. I'm a big fan of the rope around the chimney technique, myself.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I usually end up on the roof during the winter. Ice and snow makes for frozen toes. For me, it's winter boots and laying as flat as possible.

Hey, this rope thing sounds like an even better idea.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I think so, Brain. But where are we going to get rubber pants that size?"

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yikes, a steep, icy roof sounds like a recipe for disaster Sara! I heartily recommend the rope.

I had a dog once who could climb ladders, and was quite nimble when it came to walking around on rooves. Scared the living crap out of my cat Mel, who thought that she was well away from pesky dogs, when Lady came running up the incline to see what she was up to.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
My beloved orange tom used to sun himself on the roof. He never could get back down, though. Claws pointed the wrong way, so I'd climb the pine to bring him back down.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]

They are generally much more useful for going up than going down, to many a cat's dismay.

zgator
Member # 3833

I made the mistake of putting the lights up on the north facing side of the roof first. By the time I got to the south facing side, it was too hot to work on. I could feel the roof burning a hole in my butt while I was working. I guess I need more callouses there.

Oh, and why in the world would I have a chimney in Central Florida?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

To attach ropes to when working on the roof, of course! Geez!

[ November 29, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Because otherwise how can Santa get in? [Dont Know]

[ November 29, 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

If you don't have a chimney, you can always tie the rope to, say, the trailer hitch of your truck, if you've got one. careful that someone doesn't get in the truck and drive off while you're tied to it though. That could be a bad thing.
zgator
Member # 3833

We've got vent pipes for the wastewater lines. Maybe he could use one of those.
zgator
Member # 3833

In our old house, I always set the ladder up on the sidewalk leading up to the front door because that was the easiest access to the roof. One year, my wife walked out while I was on the roof and decided the ladder was in the way, so she moved it. She then went back in.

I spent about an hour laying on the roof after the sun went down waiting for her to come looking for me. She couldn't hear me banging on the roof.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

*wince

I got my hair tangled up in the chain of the swing when I was five, and it seemed like I cried forever until the sun went down and mom came out to find me.

(((zan)))

Noemon
Member # 1115

Not a fun situation to find yourself in, I can say from experience. Of course in my case it was just the one story garage roof that I was trapped on, so jumping down wasn't a terribly big deal.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Big Grin]

That's right, there was a picture of you with long hair. Well, and a lot of makeup ...

Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, poor 5 year old Sara! I hate the thought of you sitting there on your swing crying, waiting for your mom to come and free you.

When I was about 3 I licked a metal rack in my next door neighbor's freezer. She was babysitting me. It was a little while before I was discovered, but when she found me she just had me yank my tongue off of the rack for some reason. Why she didn't just pour warm water over it I'll never know, but I can vividly remember crying as my mouth filled with blood. Maybe she was trying to teach me a lesson? I certainly never licked a metal freezer rack again, so I suppose the lesson was learned, but damn!

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Oh, wow, and you still remember it. [Frown] Luckily tongues heal fast!

(Do you remember why you licked it? Was it the frost that looked appealing?)

[ November 29, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

That was a wig actually. I had much longer hair than that at the time, but I didn't want to dye is black, so I just tucked it up under the wig as best I could.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, it looked utterly delicious; far too tempting to resist.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I once was working the ER when a little toddler was flown in for treatment. Her mother was a hairdresser and used the metal pointy-picked hair combs. Yep, she was playing with it, went running ... and poked herself in the eye. Actually, it missed her eyeball and skimmed right over it, actually lodging a few centimeters into her brain.

The amazing part is that she came running up to the babysitter with a metal comb sticking out of her face, complaining that her head hurt. Of course, there was blood everywhere.

How that woman had the presence of mind not to pull it out, I'll never know. It was removed in surgery where they could control the bleeding, and, AFAIK, she's just fine.

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Eek!]

Good lord! My first inclination would have been to pull it out--great babysitter!

How could she have had one of those tines lodged in her brain? How long were they?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Never, ever pull out something that has caused a severe puncture (that's from EMT class 101).

The hardest time I ever had with that rule (while on the ambulance) was when we had a guy fall on a electric-fence post. Went in through his eye and embedded in his head. We had to saw off the post and hold him steady -- couldn't pull it up out of the ground without moving him too much. (He lost the eye, but otherwise had no brain damage - very lucky guy)

Farmgirl
(how did we get on this topic again?)

Noemon
Member # 1115

That is a lucky guy.

I know you're not *supposed* to pull things out of deep puncture wounds; I just think that in the heat of the moment that might be something I'd forget.

I have no idea how we got on this...hmm...

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Our new house is an A-frame. I'm thinking hubby won't be trying to put lights on the roof. Last night we were joking around trying to decide how Santa would land his sleigh on it. We decided that 7 reindeers on one side and 2 more with the sleigh on the other side might balance okay. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you read The Santarillion ? You don't want that guy anywhere near your house!

[ November 29, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: AvidReader ]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

This is the best picture I can find online for a similar product. The whole comb is made of metal, and the handle ends in a narrow sharp point (like a thick needle) that can be used to part hair. The handle was what went through the top of the socket in through the fragile shelf of bone back to the brain.

Bizarrest thing I ever saw, hands down. Well, it required the most double-takes -- my brain couldn't process it.

Probably the bizarrest story was when a toddler came in with a sawed-off portion of a truck fender attached to his finger, and I called home to have some dental floss rushed over ... but that's another story for another thread. [Smile]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
bigger picture of rat tail comb
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

(yay for Boon [Wave] )
Noemon
Member # 1115

Gaaaa! That's even more hidious of an injury to contemplate than what I was imagining. How many years ago was that Sara?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Just a few -- this was during my residency here in Wisconsin. It was most memorable though.
TMedina
Member # 6649

It stuck in your head, eh?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yeah. Pretty eye-catching.
Noemon
Member # 1115

How much did this end up costing the patient? I hope you didn't gouge her.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I've heard of bad hair days being an eyesore, but comb on...

-Trevor

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*groan*
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Hey, she was lucky to escape such a close brush...

-Trevor

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

She sure could pick 'em.
zgator
Member # 3833

If Sara continues to reduce my thread to a pun fest, I'll have to rubber out.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Comb over here and say that Zan.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You should try to band people together, not apart, zgator.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

A stitch in tine and all that...

Don't stretch Sara too far - I don't wanna see her snap.

Keep up the rubber jokes and the mods will condom this thread.

-Trevor

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
If threads are female, then would you say they would eraser?

Wow. That one's pretty bad.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, every time I see this title, I think "bed wetting"...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

No sheet?

-Trevor

Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be simpler to just put a lavalamp in each window?
Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.