FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ai Ya... ((Updated 12/2: He's doing great!))

Author Topic: Ai Ya... ((Updated 12/2: He's doing great!))
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] My father is very sick.

Three weeks ago, he started getting dizzy, running a fever and throwing up. Keep in mind that my father hasn't been sick (fever or throwing up) in 12 years, and in 23 years of work he has never had to take a sick day off for himself--he's always the one taking care of us. Mom went to work on Monday and arranged for a sub half a day on Tuesday.

Tuesday, Mom takes Dad to the doctor. First, they wait for over an hour (with my father's temperature steadily rising to about 100), to find out that the doctor he usually goes to isn't in and he has to see his partner. The head nurse, who takes Dad's blood pressure, comments nonchantally, "Do you have a history of high blood pressure?"

"No."

"Oh, 'cause it's really high today." And nothing else is ever said about it. His heart was racing, his BP was in heart attack range. [Eek!]

The doctor comes in and says, "We think you have food posioning, but we need blood work to be sure. Take this and go down the street and they'll do it for you." Which my parents do, and they also have Dad's stomach x-rayed to make sure it's ok, because he hasn't kept food and can barely keep liquids down for over 24 hours. This was around 1. The lab tells my parents, "We're sending this over right now. Call them in about an hour or so and they should have the results."

Mom calls. "The lab doesn't send bloodwork over until after 5." She calls back at 6:30 and gets "The lab didn't send anything over today."

Wednesday Dad's fever is 103 all day. Mom is freaking out and calls the doctor back eight times and doesn't get an answer. Turns out good ol' doc had the day off and all his messages to call Mom back were being stacked onto his desk. [Wall Bash]

Thursday, and the fever is still 103. Finally, Mom is able to get a hold of the nurse, who says something to the affect of, "We gave him the right medicine, stop calling."

Keep in mind this is happening while I'm in the middle of studying for my last tests before finals, so I haven't called in a week. I get a phone call on Thursday with Mom chewing me out for being 'an inconsiderate daughter', until I finally go, "Damnit, Mom, do you want me to come over there?!"

"No, no, no..."

"I SAID I was sorry for not calling! Stop trying to guilt-trip me!"

On Friday, my mother has to go to school, because it's the last day before Thanksgiving holidays and she has loose ends to tie up before school's out. At 11, with a fever of 103.5, he calls and checks out my little brother from high school and calls the doctor, FINALLY getting in touch with his own doctor (who also prescribed me my anti-depressants), and he's worked into the lunch hour. The doctor takes one look at his bloodwork and goes, "I'm terribly sorry, but we've been treating you for the wrong thing." [Wall Bash] "You have a viral infection of the muscle ( [Dont Know] )." He's given new medicine which immediately takes his fever down.

Saturday, I went over for a visit, and he was doing a lot better, but he was having some trouble walking. We figured it was just being tired, since on Friday he was so sick he could barely walk down the hall.

Jump to last Wednesday, and I'm out for Thanksgiving. Dad's leg has been hurting so much he can't sleep and the doctor's muscle relaxants aren't helping at all. We drive 9 hours (yes, 9 hours in a car) to visit relatives in Mississippi, and he falls FOUR times going up and down stairs, giving me a nice-sized bruise on my arm from falling twice. He manages to stumble (literally) though the holiday and my grandmother's 75th birthday party with the help of heat pads, lots of asprin (which he's mildly allergic to, btw) and a walker.

Mom took him to the doctor today, and I've been expecting a phone call all day. At 6:30, when I'm getting ready for work, I get a call.

"Your father's in the hospital."

[Eek!]

"The doctor wants to run some tests to make sure that he has nothing more serious than we already think he has, and it's easier for him to stay overnight. Call him tomorrow, please?"

[Cry] I want to go home to visit him, but I have class AND work, so I can't. Jamie and I are the ones trying to be brave for Mom and Dad, but we're all scared out of our wits.

I'm sorry, but I just had to get this off my chest. Any thoughts, good vibes, or prayers are happily accepted. Thanks, y'all.

(((hatrack)))

[ December 03, 2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Mayday & family))) [Frown] i hope he gets better soon.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thoughts, vibes, and prayers are coming your way, Mayday. *hugs*
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Mayday, you have my sympathies. I'll be thinking of you; keep us posted.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sweetie. [Frown] (((((Mayday&family))))) I hope he gets better soon.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Mayday)))))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Mayday and family))))) [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs MayDay* Holy crap. [Eek!] Keep us posted.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
((((May))))
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
((Mayday)) That's awful, especially the problems with the doctor. Stay strong, and know we're all thinking of you.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayday, I hope it gets a lot better really soon. You'll be in my thoughts today.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
((Mayday))
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Be strong and take things a day at a time. You'll be in our thoughts, too.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
MayDay, your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I empathize, deeply. That sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Mayday)))
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So they never even addressed the blood pressure issue???

[Eek!]

You and your family and definately in my thoughts and prayers today Mayday.

I didn't read this thread for a long time because the title -- I mean, I thought it was going to be a fluff thread. I had no idea it was something so serious.

Hugs to you,
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, Mayday... ((((Mayday))) I know how you feel. But it'll get better. I hope everything turns out OK..
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, everyone. This really means a lot to me.

Half update: I was out today doing Christmas shopping with Toretha (thanks for going with me, dear, I needed it), and when I got home there was a message on my answering machine:

"Hi Mayday, it's Mom... Dad's had some more tests, and he's staying in the hospital for a few more days..."

I'm going to call her in a few minutes, but I hope this means they found out what's wrong with him. ::crosses fingers::

[ November 30, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep us posted, please. And hang in there.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I didn't notice this sooner! I'll be thinking of you and your family. I hope the dr. pinpoints exactly what's wrong and how to treat it soon. [Frown]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please - keep us posted. ((MayDay))
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Mayday.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayday - I am so sorry to hear about your father. My father has been very ill this past year, so I understand how hard it can be.

You're in my thoughts and if you ever need someone to talk to, my email is in my profile.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Okay guys, I called Mom and Dad and here's the deal: he has something called Guillain-Barre Syndrome. The short version is that GBS attacks the nervous system instead of the disease. He's going to be in the hospital for quite a while, and they're giving him hemoglobin therapy for it. When I talked to him he seemed in good spirits, but Mom says he's going stir-crazy.

Right now, it's only affecting his leg, thank God, since it could have gotten much, much worse (affecting his lungs, the doctor said). At least, he's going to be in bed for six weeks--at most, six months.

I'm so relieved that they know what's wrong with him now. [Cry] Thank you, everyone.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, that is one nasty disease... I'm sorry for your dad... I wish him luck!
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good that they know what it is, that it can be stabilized, and that he will ultimately be okay. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you know what's wrong now. From what I've read, G-B syndrome can be scary to watch happening, but all you can do is trust that it has its course then goes away.

Looks like it can be a complication of food poisoning, so it's quite possible that he _did_ have food poisoning to start.

*hug*

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Mayday, I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. [Frown]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
****hugs****

I'm glad it's treatable, but I'm so sorry for the fright you all went through.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

I spoke with my father again today, and have been instructed to relay a thank you for all the support, hugs and prayers. He's starting to go a little stir-crazy, but I he's doing great otherwise. ::laughs::

(((everybody))) Again, thank you.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news, Mayday. Highly treatable with full recovery. Yay! [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

I talked to Dad again today, and great news! He's done with hemoglobin treatments and should start physical therapy tomorrow! [Party] That means he'll be coming home soon!
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] I'm glad he's doing better.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.